Life goes on - Summer 2018

The smoke is lighter today Carl, but the light is still orange, it’s not done yet. The measured solar energy yesterday in Winnipeg was less than 50%. And I believe it was darker here. It was enough to reduce daytime heating by 9C, the forecast high was 32, actual high was 23.

This pic was from the sunny part of the day:

It will be interesting to hear if the smoke reaches Europe. Of course, much of the soot will settle out on the Greenland ice cap if it passes there. :frown:

1 Like

Me thinks all the soot will be bad for the ice cap…
Well I would be happy so share some of the rain we are getting. It rains just enough here that I can’t cut hay now. Makes me almost wish I had the old chopper atleast then you can cover the ground. So long as it isn’t actually raining while your chopping your good…

1 Like

Ray I think it would take some pretty good fencing to keep those two bulls apart expically if there are any cows which need their services…

1 Like

Hey Dan, I know milk can be shipped. I was just saying htat it surprises me that a perishable product that has to be shipped in refrigerated containers can be produced and sold so cheaply.

Wayne, I think her name is Amanda. a student at UAB. Not sure of her last name.

Garry, that just seems unreal. Wow.

Ray, sorry about the fence, but bull fights are great to watch.

We had a good three days of training. Graduation tonight.

3 Likes

Billy what gets us up here in the north east is field size. If you get 25 or 50 acres it is a really big field and it really limits our equipment size. A 100 hp tractor is bout the max usable size here. That means our labor for crops is easily twice that of midwestern farms.

4 Likes

I wish I could always play with some wood related but guilty conscience about boring paint work has been hunting me.

13 Likes

Got all your wood put up for the winter and now you are hiring out as a house painter?? That doesn’t look like your house – your house is “white” among all the “red” houses in Sweden. I think your scaffold would be classified as a “red-neck” scaffold. What kind of siding is that? Looks like random slabs of wood, not lapped??? You can go back to your woodgas projects-- we all saw the posed picture.TomC

1 Like

Haha! I wish it was a posed picture only.

Hired out - well, sort of - except I don’t get paid other than we get to “borrow” the grandchildren from time to time.
The house is 150+ years old, made of dovetailed logs and serves as a guesthouse at our daughters. The place once belonged to my great grandparents.

On top of my tractor I made a wodden platform, which I like to call my skylift. Only this time the root cellar entrance interfered and I had to come up with a hightec ladder-scaffold extension :smile:

8 Likes

I think if you are farming you can never get caught up .

3 Likes

Wayne your suppose to have a helper with you to do that hot wire test… lol
Nothing worse then trying to find the broken fence wire. Always seemed here that it was on the back corner and the barb wire would be full of black fur so you hoped that the black bear was on the outside when you fixed it and that he didn’t come to check on you…
I think if your brush hogging your pasture you need more cows to finish eating all the green stuff…

2 Likes

2 pm yesterday in Quesnel, BC…

5 Likes

Ouch that doesn’t look good…

2 Likes

I’m glad to se that everybody is hanging in there. The fires are bad news but, there isn’t much that you can do about lightning. I drove through Redding, Ca when everybody was evacuating. As some of you already know, the banking contagion is moving from Turkey to Europe. The Spanish and Italian banks are most at risk. If you want to read no BS writeups about the economy, you should check out the blog from Martin Armstrong. His program has all the economic history of the world for the last 5,000 years. He makes his forecasts in a 3-day window. He recently said that England will go into a panic cycle in the third quarter of 2019.
The U.S. sovereign debt is supposed to collapse going in to 2020.
If you want to read in the outer orbit of economic forecasting, read…Jim Willie… and… Benjamin Fulford…
Anything on climate change, read… Suspicious Observers…
The more connected you are to the land, the less trouble you will have from an economic collapse. The climate change is another story.
Dan

4 Likes

3 days, 2 night fly in on Orcas Island. Pancake breakfasts put on by local fire department.
Lots of sitting, watching people and airplanes, talking with pilots from a 300 mile area. Reading and snoozing.

I made a fueling system as lifting 5 gallon cans of gas while climbing a ladder at 71 YO is starting to get scary. But running auto fuel is $2 gallon cheaper than avgas.

11 Likes

Michael you should get rid of all of your 5 gal cans and go with 2s. Easier to move, pour and store. Less likely to pop off the filler tube as well. Someone just gave me two and the only reason I took them was because one was half full of gas.

1 Like

My daily commute is 85 miles so burn about 7 gallons per day so 21 gallons every 3 days
I know, I know I should be DOW, but to drive through Seattle is a minimum of 1 1/2 hrs at 6 AM and 2 hours at 5 pm. Vs a 20 minute flight. And way more fun

8 Likes

Hi Michael,
I’m with you with the ,“I’d rather fly”! I’ve only got 198 hours total in a Cessna 172.
Darn that’s an expensive hobby, I ran out of play money, so now I just fly off the handle, smile.

3 Likes

I thought there was another pilot out there
Several years ago I seen some flying pictures on this site but could never find them again. Where are you located?

You might have seen a video that JO posted of him flying around his farm=== not in a plane but by the seat of his pants. TomC

2 Likes

Having only our fourth light spitting of rain here since late May.
I’ve been leery of going out and gasoline pickup truck moving in any of my firewood. So dry, dry. Browned down. And crunchy scary out in my woods/weeds/grasses areas now. Defered from gasoline mowing and weeds whacking even. Chainsawing and wood splitting makes sparks too.
Marine air now has settled the wildfires cough-cough smokes enough now to m-a-y-b-e be able to take the safest sparks-safe diesel tractor out now for wood trundling.
Ha! I’ll find out now if I diesel-splashed knocked-off enough of those ground bees nests around my wood piles areas!
tree farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes