Life goes on - Summer 2018

My son was near Bluffton, Indiana (close to home) and snapped these photos a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know whose truck this is?

7 Likes

Interesting build. No cooling rails but a huge heat exchanger. TomC

3 Likes

Maybe this truck has his cooling rail built intoo a side step for the truck.& not recall seeing the truck at argos, though i seen your 95 dakota. ?

1 Like

Saw this today on facebook…

Fetching the hay anyone ?

5 Likes

I wuldnt flare a gasifier on that thing :smile:

6 Likes

Yup… no room for a gasifier… thats not done :angry:

2 Likes

That is crazy in about a dozen ways. The hay was stacked there with a grapple for sure not by hand. The fact that it is on its side and stacked all the same way is a dead giveaway. Also very unstable method of stacking hay so it is amazing they could get it all up there that high. But that also means they have a big tractor with a grapple but couldn’t afford a trailer??? Then there is the over load that thing has to be rubbing the tires and crazy dangerous to drive…
But on something like that I am shocked to see that the hay isn’t hand stacked with the bales flipped 90 degrees sitting flat and every other row turned so they interlock. It is impressive that they can get that home.
That doesn’t seem possible If I counted right that is about 300 bales. Which would be about 15,000 pounds.

4 Likes

Hi Dan,
Its actual daily life here…

Google this “thailand overloaded pickup”

4 Likes

That looks like straw to me - probably rice straw?

Dan is right, the stacking is very weird and unstable, not meant to be moved very far.

Even if the bales weigh 30lbs, there’s around 10,000 lbs. I accept the pic as real, but doubt they traveled a foot with that load, it would fall apart, and the truck wouldn’t do it.

But there’s enough straw there to build a nice house or workshop… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

the bales are stapled not so weird if you look closely. They really drive with it and with similar loads…
Welcome to my world… :grin:

2 Likes

A part of the world where people still live their lifes rather than just stay safe until the end.

6 Likes

I see this Dodge pickup pictured WK-inspired system as a non-permanent drop-in/removable system.
See how high gasifer hearth and settling/filter barrels are above the bed floor?
Not cut down in below the bed.
And the large diameter white piping loop looks to be intended as the post-gas cooler.

Change over that white plastic piping to heat conducting metal and it aught to actually work at lower system loadings in cooler ambient temperatures times.

I years ago discovered and will continue to maintain there is actually multiples of more woodgasifier activity going on than is NET youtube&forums apparent.
By those with no interest in changing the world. But making their own little corners of the world that they&theirs live-in a bit more personal-use energy, non-dependent.
Mum’s the word for them. (mum is old english for hush-mouth: late 20th century’s; Don’t ask - Don’t tell)
S.U.

4 Likes

I saw a lot of stuff like that in Taiwan when I was there for about 18 months. But Garry is right that is probably alot lighter then the hay I handle which is part of why it works.
Still seems crazy to me. I did see the straps but my accumulator and grapple stacks hay on edge like that and let me tell you stacking 4 or 5 bales high off a flat deck is tricky work. It is really easy to have the entire end row or 2 fall over and off the load. My trailer will take 2 stack of 15 bales per grapple load five bales in a row 3 rows deep. I can easily stack 3 high 4 most of the time 5 is really tricky. So I can haul 120 to 150 out of the field per load and it is just across the road from my house. I run 3 long straps down one over each row of bales and it holds well. But I am impressed with the guy who grapple loaded that one you have a photo of that man is good with a grapple.
I have gotten about 60 bales in the short bed of my pickup truck and that isn’t alot of fun.

I honestly don’t know how many where on that load I would guess about 50 but that is just a guess. I only went about 2 miles up the road to my neighbor’s house with that one.
The manufacturer of my grapple and accumulator sells a trailer with a head board and tail board that are hinged and pulled together with straps the idea is that loading the hay into a V gives you some support so the ends don’t fall over as you stack it. I couldn’t afford the all metal trailer shipped from Ohio when I bought it and knew I could get by with a smaller load on the flat bed trailer I have but it is a very short trip in my case.

3 Likes

I was reading about the next crash and why to buy precious metals. So I did!

15 Likes

Those old Cubs are nice machines. Do you have something in mind for it to do or was it just too good a deal to pass up? I have almost bought one of those a few times they make great lawn mowers when you put a 60 inch deck on them.

Hi Michael,
I’m in Mooers Forks, NY. It’s in the extreme northwestern corner of NY state. 2 miles south of Canada and 15 or so miles west of Lake Champlain (Vermont border).
I flew out of KMAL, Malone, NY, 30 miles west of my home. Trained in a 1968 Cessna 172. What a great small plane.
Go to youtube and type ornottoobless in the search bar. This will bring you to my site and a couple of my flight videos, one of which is over Tupper Lake, my childhood hometown. Enjoy.
I have more that I will be adding.
Pepe

1 Like

Hi Dan, this one is a parts tractor. It has a complete transaxle and most of the engine. All the common repair items are gone. The price was right. I think this one will be built into another new machine. Not sure what.

Last winter a friend from from work wanted to sell two that he had so this summer I bought them and used them enough to figure out what needs repaired. Parked them for this winter repair projects.

One will be a stock lawn mower. One will be a utility type tractor. Sure like the engines. No idea how they will run on charcoal but I have my fingers crossed.

They go down the road nice. Like the tires because of the size and I can work in the woods, field and run on a lawn without doing damage. They should work good with tire chains.

In other words, the Cub Lo Boy number series is my new Wheel Horse. I like the version with the starter generator.

1 Like

Those are definitely nice machines I have never owned one. I grew up with a farmall H around the farm and like the old 4 cycle motors. If I am not mistaken the cub doesn’t have sleeves but as long as the cylinders are not too badly damaged the entire engine kit is pretty cheap.
That one is clearly from the 70s or 80s with that square sheetmetal I sort of like the older rounded tin better probably because all the small tractors we had here where old enough to have the rounded tin. If I remember correctly that is still considered a long stroke motor and should run really well on a gasifer.
I almost got into those but I stumbled across the case ingersoll garden tractors and wanted the hydraulics for a wood splitter so I went that route instead. But I would much rather have one of those then any modern lawn mower. Sounds like you have a good plan. With some searching you should be able to find parts. And remember the regular Cubs are almost identical parts wise so you might find one of those easier for parts.

2 Likes

Underground pit barbecue
I’ve been wanting to write on this subject for quite some time. It is fast
becoming an arcane subject, soon to be lost to the world. The term
barbecue originated with French trappers. They took a goat and put a
spit from the beard to the tail From the barb to the cue. They cooked it
over high heat to seal in the liquids and then, let the fire die down
to a slow cook.
The underground BBQ is different from all other methods.
Steaming the meat avoids carbonizing it. It avoids creating all the carcinogens that come with over-cooking
My father was quite adept at this and, was in charge of the BBQ pits at Rancho San Antonio for their yearly fund-raiser / BBQ. There is little understanding of the cooking process.
I found no information on the net and, wanted to post it somewhere so that it would show up on a search.

The essential idea of the underground pit BBQ is simple. Steam the meat
for 17–24 hours. Even the toughest meat becomes very tender. If you
cook a turkey, you unwrap it and just pick out the bones. All the meat
is left. If you cook brisket, it comes out very tender. I built my first
pit BBQ when I was ten y.o. I built my last one about 2 years ago.
The first one had firebrick for the base and, red brick for the rest. My
latest one was all firebrick. The bricks came out of the old Kaiser
steel mill in Fontana, Ca. I, of course, started with a hole in the
ground. I levelled it and used rebar and concrete. The BBQ is 3 X 6 X 5
feet. 5 feet being the depth. The brick doesn’t need a lot of
structural strength so, building it isn’t critical.

I was missing quite a bit of info on the mechanics of cooking so, I looked on E-bay. I found 2 books.Better Homes and Gardens Barbecue Book 1965Sunset’s Barbecue Book 1938I’ll
do a lot of quoting from these books. They have a lot of illustrations
but, a hole in the ground is just a hole in the ground.
Remember to never put more than 25 lbs of meat in one bundle. Build another pit
if you are planning to feed more than 160 guests. Take 25 lbs of
meat—beef, mutton or venison—Fairly fat. Lean venison can be used
by putting it in with a pound or two of sliced bacon. Do not cut meat
into smaller pieces than is necessary. Season with 1/2 cupful of salt,
1/4 cupful of black pepper, 1/4 cupful of sugar, 2 tablespoons of garlic
salt or, 6–8 cloves of garlic.
Wrap the meat in 2 thicknesses of cheese cloth. (plain cotton works fine).
Sew up the bundle. (I just wrapped it with a lot of twine). Wrap this
bundle in 2 thicknesses of burlap and sew it up. Tie both ways with
baling wire. (The meat will just fall apart after it is cooked this
way. The wrapping should be pretty secure)
It is a good idea to form a loop of wire that sticks out from the bundle.
This will be a big help when you go to fish out the meat with a pole
& hook after it is cooked. Some burlap is treated so that it won’t
burn. I don’t know if this treatment will flavor the meat. IF you cook goat, everything in the pit will come out tasting like goat. Dunno about deer.

The whole idea of the pit BBQ is; heat up as much masonry as hot as
possible. You will need to burn the fire for hours to heat up a few
thousand pounds of bricks. The whole idea here is to steam the meat.
That is why you use cotton and burlap, so that the steam can pass
through. Do not use brown paper.
OK, you have a wheelbarrow of well-wrapped bundles of meat. You are
standing next to your BBQ. After several hours, the fire has burned down
to a bed of coals. You are counting on the heat in the masonry more
than you are counting on the heat from the coals. You have a barrel of
water at you side.
You dunk each bundle into the water and toss it into the pit. You do this as fast as possible.
Sixty seconds form the time that the meat leaves your hands, you should have
at least a foot of dirt covering the lid. When finished, you’ll have 3
ft. of dirt over the lid.This is just a bit excessive. You MUST seal out all air or the meat will
just burn up. You need to watch the pit for the first hour to detect
any smoke / steam leaks. Deprived of oxygen, the coals rapidly go out.
All that water that you threw in with the bundles is turning to steam.
Fire brick will take this shock better than plain red brick.

It is best to build the BBQ with a ledge to fit a steel lid. Some lids are
2 piece, Some are one piece. 1/4 inch plate is about right. Since
you have a good lid, you only have to concentrate on sealing up the
edges.

The meat must remain in the pit for at least 15 hours. No harm done if it is in for 24 hours. I recall that 17 hours was just about right. It depends on the temperature of your masonry.There
is a pit BBQ vid on Youtube where they roast a pig. They did NOT have a
masonry pit and, the meat was not very cooked. Search youtube on,
Pig roast underground! learn how to roast a pig underground! Pig cook!
They give this recipe;
@chatsworth777 "THE BEST RECIPE FOR REMOVING GAMINESS IN WILD PIG

In a deep sink, tub,etc place the dressed pig, cover completely w ice,
fill to cover pig with water, pour in 2-20 oz. jugs apple juice, 1/2
cup vinegar, 1/2 cup salt.Cover and let stand, overnight, DO THIS 3
TIMES (my pigs were 70-90 lbs ea.),cook anyway you want. I did this
with 2 wild pigs we caught and fed about 120 people, no gamines at all,
meat was pinkish white when we smoked em, and not a bite was left."

Since there are a lot of pigs running around in places like Texas, this would
be a handy recipe. Bear is known to be greasy and tough. It might be a
natural for the pit BBQ. If you get a moose or elk, it seems like you
are forever chopping it up into little pieces to cook it. A pit BBQ
would be a good way to avoid all that cutting. Just invite over 100
close friends.
Remember that; when an animal dies, it undergoes rigor mortis. The whole idea of ageing is to undo rigor mortis.You can even BBQ a road-kill deer and feed it to your dogs. 18 hours of
steaming is bound to kill any pathogens except prions. Don’t take “mad”
deer.

Search Youtube for …El Borrego De Oro - Barbacoa Estilo Hidalgo…To see the Mexican version of the pit BBQ.
I hope that some of you can give this a try. The book has instructions
for a pit BBQ that uses a lot of rocks rather than masonry.

7 Likes

Wow this sure beats my Barby , gonna have to dig a hole pretty soon anyway for my new charcoal retort , so this will be just a perfect time to make it double up as a underground BBQ . thank you for the info on this William .