Life goes on - Summer 2018

My guess is some random person who was using Koen’s parking space. :wink:

2 Likes

Just a funny picture from some posting on Facebook…

a woodgas truck is however a “green vehicle” isn’t it ?

3 Likes

I love this link… anybody see why ?

9 Likes

That’s funny:

With a pic of a vehicle mounted unit…

3 Likes

Life goes on, until it stops. Just got home from Florida and my grandma’s funeral. She was 85.
All the children,
grand children,
great grand children
and great great grandchildren were there.
Big family, pretty close, so …Good times actually…Might see my grandpa up here to help us tinker on projects before too long.

9 Likes

Wow, some of those must have started families young! Sympathies to you and your family on your loss.

4 Likes

First RAIN since June 21! 1.5 inches last night. There is not much hay to be found around here. The Wildlife is hurting. There is still some water in the big Tank (Pond), and our game camera shows Raccoons, Turkey Vultures, Turkeys, Deer, and 17 Feral Hogs, plus some of our cows. The hogs were ripping up our pasture during the last several years. Now there is one less.

Used my charcoal making TLUD stove to boil some potatoes, Thermos bottle water, and to fry up some of the ground meat. Pork doesn’t need to be aged like beef or other wild game, so right away we can start making room in the freezer. Meat was good. We each ate one patty for lunch, and will have the other one today.

6 Likes

It’s interesting that they refer more than once to Wayne’s work, but don’t seem to realize that. I guess anyone can improve a Wikipedia entry, maybe someone should upgrade their information.

2 Likes

Great mouth watering picture set RayM.
A new motto, eh?
“Blood, guts and burgers”
Now my coyote and hawk bothersome critters are just too lean and meat-stingy to get any burgers from. Fur and feathers only. ( and have to hide those too)
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

Ray, nice! It seems this is a grown up boar. Any smell from the meat? I once had boar (domesticated) and the meat was uneatable. Not eaven the dog ate it.

1 Like

Kristijan,
So far, we have not noticed an objectionable smell from the meat, although the smell of the boar (hanging from the front-end loader) was enough to make a person gag. Two of the patties were highly seasoned with paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic, oregano, cumin, thyme, and onion, and two were unseasoned (they were for my wife). After I cooked them at very high heat, we couldn’t figure out which two patties were mine, and which were her’s, and she got one of the seasoned ones. The conclusion was that next time we will double grind the meat, and include a milder load of the seasonings while grinding. The patties reminded me of commercial sausage patties, like served at McDonalds.
For the dogs, I cooked scraps (including the part of the neck where the .300 Blackout round pulverized the flesh) with a pound of frozen Okra, once again on the outdoor stove using high heat and cast iron pans. The dogs love it, but I’ve been cutting up some of the larger hunks into thin slices else they gulp it whole…and I’m not sure if it would get digested. I’ve been rationing that meat out to them in small portions, more as a treat than a feast.
We sawed the backbone into multiple pieces, and I intend to cook them on my charcoal forge, over a low heat. Otherwise, the fire ants will cover the meat and the dogs won’t be able to eat it.
Two things I forgot to do were to save the tail so I could collect the $5 bounty from the local government, and to inspect the mouth to look at the teeth. I told the wife I could dig up the hide to find the tail, but she didn’t think much of the idea.
The neighbor lady who is about 75 years old told me her Daddy told her the only way to eat Boar meat is to castrate them when young. Not something a person can do with a feral or wild hog…

2 Likes

Try this one: minced meat, onion, garlic, bacon(smoked), pepper and chese chunks (~1/2"). Chilly at taste. Form a bit smaller discs, flattened egg size balls. Those are called Uštipci here, wich in Serbian means “pinch away” as the bits of meat are pinched off from the meat mass, rolled and thrown on the grill.

Here all domestic pigs are castrated. Old hogs ment for reproduction can allso be castrated once they finish their job but need to stay that way at least 6 months prior to slaughter.
I heared numerous tales how whole pigs were discarded becouse at castration a tiny bit of the gland was left behind. Wild boar is shot young, under 200 pounds.

Speaking of castration, l am doing this for the first time my self this year. Those are the future candidates

9 Likes

The other choice is to use then small for roasters. I have a friend who would do that when I was a kid. He had the old roaster built from an oil barrel and would use his male pigs before they got bore tante it is a function of age. I don’t remember the cutoff age wise.

1 Like

Yep l did this with previous litters. Forsome reasons they were mostly female. This litter is about half-half, so some will be roasted and some grown bigger.

1 Like

Ferel hogs rank up toward the top of the list of negatives that the Europeans brought to this continent. Nothing can destroy more wildlife, forrestry, etc…Keep shooting.

4 Likes

Billy, they really are very destructive, very fast, and intelligent. There were 17 of them. Some people just shoot them and leave them for the other wildlife to eat. I believe people should eat animals they have killed. I welded up a fancy heavy-duty trap several years ago, and moved it under an oak tree where the hogs search for acorns, but then my neighbor shot and killed all the hogs in the area, so the trap just sat there. Now I’m thinking I should clean it out and rig the falling door mechanism and bait it with deer corn soaked in a bit of diesel fuel. But, first we need to make some space in the two freezers, as they are both jam packed.
We have had 52 days so far where the daytime temperature exceeded 100°F, and it would be much more comfortable doing this stuff later in the year

if the sweat wasn’t dripping everywhere.

6 Likes

we used to soak corn in moonshine or whiskey or some other alcohol when I was young in FL. They really like it. Those hogs look different than any I have seen in the wild. All of ours are brown/red/black. Mostly just black.

1 Like

something to feel good about…
and yes, bamboo is amongst it…

3 Likes

now i know where the catfood went…
or is it antfood now ?

15 Likes

Thats crazy!

Hey, perhaps you culd train them to bring gasifier fuel in the hopper :smile:

7 Likes