Life goes on - Summer 2018

Well if you get the gasifer good and hot first maybe the cat will be able to eat.
I hate ants once they get started you have a devil of a time getting rid of them and the ones around here tend to eat wood. Needless to say I don’t think wood should be wasted on ants.

4 Likes

Ha, just like people. A few are carrying while others are only “running around”. Probably talking about what “we achieved” :smile:

8 Likes

Are those stinging Fire Ants? I pour boiling water into their mounds near the house and in the garden. The fire ant mounds in the fields/pasture cause my rotary shredder to shear pins. The stings leave welts, and really hurt. In town, several old folks have fallen down, and been stung by so many ants that they have died.

2 Likes

I’ve used cinnamon to keep ants away. Works good.

3 Likes

The dead ants around my house prefer to eat a paste of sugar and boric acid.

5 Likes

We must have drive on wood ants here in Australia reading and getting idea’s from Koens ones , not a single ant in this newly rebuilt kitchen and yet 1 hour ago outta the blue come a recon unit on a mission , they must be getting idea’s from somewhere !

8 Likes

Oldest daughter got her hunting licence resently. First score yesterday - a capercaillie.
In a month moose hunt starts.

12 Likes

That looks like a pretty high caliber rifle to be using on a bird. Doesn’t it blow the bird all to pieces.TomC

1 Like

isn’t that what they called a "flying meatgrinder? "

It’s a 6.5 mm, which is a popular allround caliber for all wild life here. All the way from bird to boar and moose.
On bird, fully manteled ammunition is used. It does no damage, except a tiny hole right through. Se was lucky enough to hit this one in the spine and nothing edible was touched at all.

5 Likes

Thats a butyfull bird! Tasty l bet. We call them wild roosters here, preety rare nowdays.

Is the rifle a Anshutz?

“Tjäder” is the Swedish name of the bird. Just a name. Has no translation. The rifle is a Tikka M65 Trapper.

4 Likes

Nice rifle. I had been going to guess an older Sako Finnbar like my LH.
Forest Grouse here (a much smaller bird) are legally high-powered rifle taken here by “rock’ing” them.
They often mooch gizzard grit off of the graveled forest roads. You aim at the road in front of them. Gravel spew up to kill them. Sure fire kill technique. Saves the meat. This is usually done during big game season, so a missed grouse head shot will get you nothing except crowed-at.
No; really. The forest crows boom-frightened will alarm away the big game for half a day.

Women knowing guns has been my last 30 years goal. (Ha! Then they do not need-a-man. But free then to choose-a-man.)
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

Down here people soak corn in strawberry jello. Hogs go wild for it.

2 Likes

I have a back corner of my field which just doesn’t get enough sun to dry this time of year. I baled it up today 2 days after cutting the rest of the field was bone dry but there where maybe 6 bales in that corner which looked like you just mowed it minutes before baling. Needless to say my cows where really happy to get the fresh second cut grass for dinner. Just a few fun photos of them covered with their fresh grass because they wouldn’t get out of the way long enough to let it hit the ground.

8 Likes

Life goes on. Been off the site for a couple weeks. Very busy trying to get things together to go to Africa. Apparently the embassy in D.C. is demanding a form that no one in Congo even knows exists. After sending people to three major cities, we finally found someone who either knew what the paper was, or was willing to make it up. Anyway, thought we were ready to go until we got the paper across the Atlantic only to find out that they put the wrong date of birth down for me. Apparently they think I am 102 years old and want to go to the jungle. LOL. How many people born in 1916 are still alive? Anyway, we’ll see what happens next.:smile:

6 Likes

After the drought it took only a couple of showers and the Karl-Johan mushrooms started popping up like… well, like mushrooms. (Penny bun, Porcini, Karl-Wilhelm fungus, Boletus edulis)

14 Likes

That’s a lot of mushrooms, to me. What are you doing, drying them out? Will they keep after this process, or do you have to can them or something. I have never lived where there were many edible mushrooms, or no one knew enough about them to know what to eat. We have one type that is good, and people pick that one because it has a very distinctive look. How does your wife fix those big ones? Another reason for you to go out to the woods. TomC

Jan, after a Summer drought, we have just had about ten days of light rain, and there are some large mushrooms showing up. How do you know which ones are edible, and which ones might be poisonous? We have always been afraid to experiment…

Billy I sure hope I can do half what your doing when I get to be 102. That is pretty funny.

3 Likes