Life goes on - Summer 2018

K, that’s pretty incredible. I keep hoping for one of those fish rains that happen in Asia sometimes. One of my former students, a national missionary in Thailand said it rains fish almost every year in his village. All we get is some snow about that often. I don’t seem to have the time to go fishing but I love to eat fish. I’m too far inland I guess. But it would be nice if it would just rain fish every now and then. But wind blown sand probably makes a mess and scratches paint huh?

2 Likes

Always has been a world-wide re-distribution of minerals, moisture’s, pollen’s, plants, seeds, animals, peoples, ideas and concepts.
Startling out here on the Pacific Rim-of-Fire to be able to follow growing fertility downwinds for thousands of miles/kilometers from major volcanoes active areas. It is the newly deposited air-minerals. Western EU is “blessed” from Icelandic and the mid-Mediterranean volcanoes.

It seems only very artificial manmade constructs of societies are the one’s always for self-grandiose, and fear of loss of social power as expressed in claims of “purity” impeding the free flow of ideas and developments. Hybridization is the balance-rule. Purity the deadend-road disease.

Ha! The result of insisting on being an irritating popping up gotten loose nail is to be getting hammered down a lot.
Much better to visibly comply. And left alone then go your own way. And coyote howl out your expressions.

Been cold, cold February-like rains/mountain snows and storm fronts here for two-three weeks now.
Ha! Mid-Pacific ocean satellite weather patterns now say our true Spring will begin maybe by mid-week now.
Good. Good. I am scraping the last of anything dry burnable out of the woodshed. Often our April/May electric power bills are the highest falling back on hydro-electric heating.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

5 Likes

My neighbor has a couple of OLD horses (pets) and so they have been giving me a feed bag a week for several years.
I had an opportunity to visit with Bob Mackey in Wenatchee (150 Miles) and so shared the wealth

Then we played with some of his creations, even hands on they are amazingly well thought out and all mostly built with obtainium!

Unfortunately I was on a mission and a round trip drive over 2 - 3000 and 2 - 4000 ft mountain passes and a 500 mile trip was too much so I burned some Dino.
Is there a Dino anonymous group?

8 Likes

Someone should keep me from reading Craigslist. I bought that 1965 Chevy C-50 4 wd NAPCO truck because it was REALLY cool. Unfortunately, I ran across another really cool truck. Like the NAPCO truck, it is a 4 wd conversion. It is not a NAPCO. It is the far more rare Marmon Herrington. This one is a dump truck. I got it really cheap considering that it is a collectors item. It is rough now but, I expect to fix it up.
It’s a 1955 F-900 Big Job with air brakes.

7 Likes

Does it still have the hood scoop like the SD Pontiacs of the early 60’s. I have seen them bring a $500 bill.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a dino anonymous group. I have put almost 10K miles on my 95 Dakota and it hasn’t tasted wood-gas yet! :expressionless:

2 Likes

Yes Mike I put a little over 10 k on mine too. It has become very obvious that to own one it must be fed wood. My 50 yo full size carbureted Chevrolet gets way better milage even while towing.

3 Likes

William,
Craigslist is a tool, like the internet. User beware, but I am glad it is available! Both trucks are cool, I see your dilemma. Looks like an older version of the highway dept. truck that rescued so many from the city in the first “Independence Day” movie. Put a large gasifier on it! :grinning:

1 Like

My Dakota got a taste of woodgas and promptly barfed.
Nope, the Ford doesn’t have a hood scoop.
The way that the economy is falling apart, I’m more likely to convert the Farmall 560 to woodgas before the Ford.
I won’t get political but, I want to warn you where the weak spot in the financial system is.
The new FED head, Powell is the guy who wrote the bail-IN rules where they take the money from the bondholders and stockholders to rescue the banks. The bondholders and stockholders know this. They are already edging to the door. The problem comes in that the algo-trading programs are much faster. Also, they do after-hours trading. It is expected that the default contagion will start in bank stocks.

This is just a heads-up to my fellow DOW aficionados . Just keep cutting, splitting, chunking and drying. Keep a weather eye on the banks. Keep some cash at home. Plant a garden.

4 Likes

Coldest april in 143 years in detroit michigan acording too Drudge news. it warmed up decent today though.

3 Likes

Good day around here. I just got home from baptizing my daughter. Water’s still cold here.

DSCN9854DSCN9862!

Also:

We have two stoves for sale:

Vulcan 10-burner two-oven propane commercial. Asking $400. Missing one pot holder. We never use it with all of our cheaper units around here. Need the space.

DSCN9780

Pioneer Princess wood burning cook stove. Works great. Good shape.Use it all the time. Rigged for water heater attachment. Couple extra fire bricks. Shifting to solar water heating. And Jakob is allergic to dust and oak. Bad combo for indoor wood cooking. Want to shift to outdoor furnace, etc. $1450.

DSCN9770

8 Likes

Too bad you have to part with the wood so few people still know how to actually cook on those old wood stoves. I have one here which goes back 4 generations that I need to setup again at some point. My uncle was using it up till he moved and it didn’t fit in his new home.
It is one of the few nice antiques left here. But using one of those ovens is an art form.

1 Like

I have to say the Vulcan is a deal. I was a member of a hunting club and
we had one like this to feed our 25 or so members. Also Thanksgiving
dinner with families invited.

1 Like

Hi All
I was finally able to get some Willow trees found and planted into my seasonal flowing wet spot area. Refer back to:
http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/life-goes-on-Winter-2017 my post #750
The only willows I could get were Navajo Globe willows. Ha! Wet, wet rain every day last week of March through all of April untill just five days ago had this wet spot re-flowing winter levels of water, again.
Had to use the old high wheeled push mower to recut back the spring grasses growth to determine SWAGed best planting spots. Squish. Squish. Squish. Keep moving not to bog down sink in.
Three days wonderful solar now has all of the solar powered yard and porches ornaments nights glowing now too. Flowering trees now all blooming out. Wider assortments of early spring flowers blooming out now too. Hard frosting now with the clear night sky’s. And Pacific cold rains be back by Friday for 5+ days continuous foreseeable.
STILL too early to garden work up and plant here in my valley.
Be 15-20 days more waiting here. Local learned wisdom is to wait until the visible snow pack is melted off the westward face to regional Silver Star mountain.
Regards to all
tree-farmer Steve unruh

8 Likes

Yes steve its been a wet till last week, been planting like crazy in my green hoise since the sun made its appearance. One good sunny day and we forget all the nasty ones we had last month.

3 Likes

Had my 3rd calf of the season born just the other day. He is a healthy bull from my nicest cow the big back cow standing behind him in the photo. So I will raise him up as my next breeding bull. I was hoping she would have a bull I could raise.
The other two calves are females. The oldest was born in January and is growing like a weed. At some point I need to catch them and give them their ear tags so I can keep track of them as they grow. Right now the females well become part of the herd to grow it size wise. I also want to keep track of the cross breeds I don’t want to use a bull from a non galloway cow. I plan on using the 4 generation standard for breeding where the 4th generation is considered pure breed. I don’t remember where I read that but for my purposes I mostly want to avoid horns so it will be good enough.

5 Likes

Steve, I LOVE willows. I got into quicksand up in the Sierras. The only thing around was a few well-rooted willows. I’ve stepped into quicksand a few times. One time, right up to my chin. Life goes on.

3 Likes

Mystery pic: What am I working on, what do the wires do, and what part did I need to order?

(And yes I drove it to work like this…)

1 Like

Is it cruise control or per-nern-dul linkage problems?

1 Like

That’s a trick question the only thing wires do when they are hanging like that is spark… you probably need to order a fuse… :grin: