Life goes on - Summer 2018

Bare wires spark, can be bad…

I reckon that’s where the airbag goes. But that would be too obvious.

1 Like

I figured the dashboard notes might give it away… guess not.

Ernie gets the prize. It is indeed a broken cruise control. I had the center airbag out so I could test the cruise switch connector. And the three wires are backprobing the connector on the steering column, which works just fine. I am able to touch wires together to switch on and adjust the cruise control. No sparks, this is a low voltage low current circuit. Very satisfying to make it work this way, for some reason.

The problem component appears to be the clock spring. Apparently there’s a break in the wire somewhere, because the horn and cruise control do not work, but the connectors going to the clock spring do work.

4 Likes

Ha! Did not want to spoil the fun. Had to dealership working replace too many of these.
So ChrisKY??? are you in-love with that cruse control capability?
Love that airbag?
Your horn could be just a dash mounted momentary push switch.
You do NEED the turn signal, and opposite side wipers (expensive) multi-functional switches. Next to go $$'s.

Ahh! I see. My wifie hates my save money work-arounds. Hides my duct tape. Call’s my self-designed, made from three, high wheeled push mower a “Tim Taylor special”.
Acceptance’s of make-do’s will come with time. Years not enough money for all of the want-to projects.

Fun challenge anyhow. Thanks.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

6 Likes

I was thinking how the tow haul button broke on my Chevy about 5 years ago and everytime I haul a heavy load I think I really should fix that but taking the column apart to do it is just too low on the project list…

1 Like

I do like having cruise control. With my woodgas trained lead foot, I tend to mash down on the dino fuel. Cruise control keeps the tickets away.

Airbag I couldn’t care less, in fact it’s one of the old recalled Takatas so I’ll probably just leave it unplugged… a horn would be nice though.

I could wire up buttons for everything, but I may not keep this thing forever… resale value keeps sticking in my brain…

3 Likes

Sounds like your in need of a gasifer as a safety upgrade to control that led foot… lol

3 Likes

Wag, converting the cruise control to work on a gasifier so you can run it in auto mode, controlling the air mixer. Like on your old 92 Dodge Dakota. I Did Say A WAG.
Bob

That’ll come in time with his latest catch Steve. A few yunguns, and Chris will be riggin it up too.

4 Likes

That land will come with a project list which will help with the cheap farmer fixing approach as well. Nothing like having too many things to do to remind you how useful a quick fix is…

Had the 4th calf of the year show up the other day. 5 more to go. It is a female half Galloway half Dutch belted. Funny my Dutch belted cow has a nice wide stripe and the belted Galloway bull had a nice strip but this calf is all black and my black Galloway had a belted calf with a wide stripe. Guess it just proves with galloway cows you never really know you can get throwbacks that are pure Galloway not belted. This is the second time I have seen that. Doesn’t matter to me they are all healthy and don’t have horns that is all I ask.

12 Likes

I guess I don’t really expect to see any of you here, unless Wayne decides to slip over the hill Saturday. But wanted to make sure everyone knows they’re welcome. We will be having our Open House this weekend…

3 Likes

Thanks for the invite. I can’t make it but wish you success!

4 Likes

Hey Billy ,

We really appreciate the invite but it would be hard getting away. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

It’s a very long story but, I have 2 highschool friends who had 10 , kids and little interest in them. I spent many years raising 4 of the girls. We married off one of them yesterday. They asked me to rent a monkey suit. It didn’t actually kill me.

I taught the girls everythinge except fear. Cliff-jumping and sky-diving were not my idea. They took that up on their own. All of them know how to drive a stick-shift, motorcycle and horse. All of them know how to shoot a pistol and rifle. All of them love camping and travel. I sent all of them on trips to Europe to se it before it gets destroyed. 3 of the 4 came VERY close to being kidnapped in France.
Life goes on.

14 Likes

Here’s a copy of our update for today here at ADAPTech. with some pics…

Today was a great success. We had 52 people from 8 different countries and 9 US states for our Eco-Sheel Dome class class/project today. After a wonderful lunch we had a short (for me) theory class about domes and dome construction. Then we moved to the technology field to apply the reinforcement rope and final layer to the second dome bath house.

After doing the other domes without help, Luke said today, “Now, this is the way to build domes.”
Many hands make light work. I think we have pretty well mastered the necessary mixture and proceedure for the cheap, slick plastic stem wall form cover experiment.

We were blessed with the help of nearly our entire construction crew, as well as students from several countries, different states and the local commuity. Having 5 professional-level concrete masons/finishers on hand helped quite a bit. I am not nearly as tired as I was after the other domes I have helped build.

There is still time for many of you to make it here for tomorrow’s program.
We expect a bigger crowd tomorrow, and have a full day of activities. Breakfast is at 7 AM, supper at 6:00 PM followed by singing and music. Everyone should bring their musical instruments for after supper. We’ll have a full day in between.

Thanks to everyone who made today such a good one.

Time to sleep another round…Billy & Erika and crew.

Here’s some pics:

2 Likes

I am flying an 80 mile commute to my airport project most days
Burn about 6 gallons of gasoline and climbing the stepladder with a 5 gallon gas can is just not as easy as it used to be.

So rather than spend the extra $2 per gallon to buy aviation gas I built a portable airplane fueler.

Mikes portable fuel pump

It says "video unavailable "…

1 Like

Hey Dan

Thanks for the calf pictures .

The wife and I went out for a hamburger late this afternoon and I took a short video of a few calves born in the last few days .

Hope they grow off well and we might get to meet them again at McDonald’s in about a year from now .

8 Likes