Life goes on - Summer 2018

Will,
Thanks, lots of good stuff on that history blog. I find propaganda morbidly fascinating.

2 Likes

I’m trying to make summer 2018 life go on a while longer with this little strawberry project. I picked a couple of 6" X 32" PVC capped sewer lateral extensions out of a job dumpster. I drilled 12 2-1/4" holes in each pipe and put a 1" PVC watering pipe with holes at every plant level. I then filled it with potting soil and planted ever bearing strawberry crowns. These will stand in a cool room this winter and should be ready for a good spring start.

10 Likes

I see you have a watering system built in too? How does that work?

I hesitate to suggest, but if you have a solarium / humidity tent and some 48" fluorescents and a timer that could be side illuminated during the winter…

1 Like

Actually one of those plastic hanging closest things used to protect/hang your better clothes and the led light things probably would work really well. I think the 12x12 led grow light array is less then 20 bucks. If you want to bump up the light some, you could probably use the silvery lining from inside a chip bags.

The 12x12 light works pretty good. I use one and a heat pad for starting seeds in the spring.

1 Like

Fluorescents are comparably cheap to run, and if a person wants to go all out, there are 48" led replacement bulbs / fixtures now. I would be aiming for 2 or 3 double 48" fixtures arranged vertically. Best would be to throw in half grow bulbs, broaden out the spectrum, though a lot of plants seem real happy under cool white.

For a reflective film those mylar survival blankets from the dollar store would be hard to beat, but in this case I don’t think necessary.

Led lights are cheaper to run (not by a lot) and only have a handful of spectrums. On the bright side plants only utilize light only in like purple and red wavelengths, and flowering depends on the amount of light from each spectrum.

The reflective mylar is a good idea, it will also hold heat in as well.

I suppose you could go all out and get a phototron. err they changed their name to growlife. lol
https://shopgrowlife.com/product/growcube-8x8-hydro-led/

1 Like

Oh I stumbled on this video after the one I was watching. Garry is right on with the mylar.

As I read this I wonder when the police will come knocking on someone’s door to see what they are growing with all those lights only to find tomatoes. Lol

2 Likes

I’ve been reading it for days, quite a bit of info about the war on there I’ve never read before!

1 Like

Well I just picked the last of my tomatoes we have a freeze warning for tonight so it was time to get them in. I will probably get enough to ripen to get one more canner full of tomatoes. Not bad considering the total mess my garden was this year after I neglected it earlier. The part that I am glad about is I started the pepper and tomatoes from seed and they made it to full grown plants this year. That is a first for me have never managed to get them to survive the transplant stage before.

3 Likes

Not a problem in Washington State. Lol
Bob

1 Like

I’ve been doing some milling for the last couple of days and I promised @KristijanL and @TomC some pics.
There was talk about slow mills on another thread the other day. I consider my mill pretty fast but still I never seem to be able to process more than 10 logs a day. The log handeling, adjustments and all other “logistics” seem to be the most time consuming tasks. I bet the blade wasn’t spinning even 5% of my “milling time” :smile:
A total of 33 logs. 7 of them were rather tiny and only sided. A possible future log-outhouse :smile:

Meanwhile wife was playing with the dogs :thinking:

11 Likes

Why did you make the traverse so wide? How do you clamp the logs?

Nobody is running around in shirt sleeves here today… :frowning:

1 Like

Looks like we know who does all the training in you household. Lol.
That pile of lumber looks great

2 Likes

Thank you for remembering us with the pictures. I find that construction ingenious and relative simple. As with everything you do I am impressed. As alway TomC wants “more”. The picture just wet my appetite for more. Maybe a walk-a-bout showing the swing blade system and the gearing for hight adjustment etc. For rails running for and aft, did you just bolt pieces of angle iron on a couple of 2x6’s. Oh, if I was just a little younger— I would love to attempt that build. Thanks again.
Is that your new puppy? Does your wife train it for competition? TomC

3 Likes

The blade radius is so small it can only cut 6" deep and if I want to make wider boards I have to double-cut. With the blade in horisontal position I run one pass with the trolly on the right side of the log and one on the left.

I don’t. A couple of grooves with the chainsaw in the “roll-in” logs on the ground and two wodden wedges on the middle, to prevent sagging, is enough.

4 Likes

I am home alone this week and I have to tend to our animals – dog mainly, and a barn cat. Unlike my wife, I don’t have any reason to go to town almost each day and the dog is getting bored with sitting around the house with me – so; I took her for a ride around the lakes. It is fall and the weather has been wet but we have been having frost at night so the leaves are hanging on the trees and turning colors. Thur. morning early, I had to take my wife up to Iron Mountain to catch a plane. That was THE most beautiful ride. This afternoon as I took the dog for her ride around the lakes, I came across 46 Jeeps in a row out enjoying the colors. They were on a black top road when I saw them, but from the mud splattered on them, I’m sure they had spent a good part of their ride on our bulldozed “forest roads” ( trails) Not in a group but also out enjoying the weather and scenery, I came across about 25-30 ATV’s and UTV’s. I don’t like it but they are now allowed on our roads. I’m just a crabby old man. TomC
I’v got to put my covy’s on and go clean my lawn mower for , I hope, the last time this year.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on what training you’re refering too :smile: (we’ve got only one word for both training and excercise over here)

3 Likes

I call it a work out from what I saw in the video.
Bob

1 Like

And I thought my milling was the workout :smile: (/training/excercise)

3 Likes