Life goes on - Summer 2018

I was actually thinking she trained the dog to jump and you to run the mill while she plays. :grin:

4 Likes

Right. Everything seems a bit sloppy and wobbly but still the accuracy is within 1/16. Actually, drying does more harm to the dimentions.

I’ll dismantle the mill tomorrow and store it away. I’ll try make a video before I do.
Sorry about the ATV’s :smile:

Ops, 1.5 mm is 1/16. I edited above.
Oh, and yes, that’s the new puppy. Two years old now :smile:

4 Likes

Just a little time wasted while making dinner.

I saw these videos while I am making dinner tonight and I love the way he takes the flaw in the wood where bugs damaged it or some other issue and uses colored resins to turn it into a feature of the art. There is a really cool globe that someone made maybe the same guy with blue epoxy from scraps and they shined an led up through the base into it. Just amazing ideas and it is done with wood.

3 Likes

Cast cement slab and wall under construction.

3 Likes

Tom,
I hope you’re not still in your pyjamas. I made a couple videos and stored the mill away while you were asleep.
We’ve had a wonderful week here. 20C today, close to 70F, and I’m actually wearing shorts and T-shirt. I can’t remember that happening ever in mid October.

The mill is dismantled and loaded onto the trailer.

12 Likes

Thank you!!! Yes, I did just get dressed and the first thing I do is grab my ‘‘pad’’ to read a few threads that I follow. So excited to see a post by you, no matter the subject. Those videos are very good and should inspire ''want to be sawyers ‘’ to copy what you have done, as apposed to spending thousands of what ever their money may be. ( What is your unit of money Kristijan? ) l have researched YouTube and understand the design of the swing-blade, but another view on it might be informative. I may still be mobile enough to build one of these but not enough to handle logs. I’m a dreamer. TomC

4 Likes

That’s the beauty of this system, you pretty much just have to kick the log along the ground.

Getting the logs there is another story. But really you could get logs dropped off. Who doesn’t need another hobby? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Lol I could use less hobbies because I am pretty sure framing doesn’t count as making a living…

3 Likes

I’m not Kristijan but I know Slovenia uses Euro (€) like most EU countries. However several have chosen to keep their old currencies. Our old Swedish krona have served us well and saved us from being dragged down into financial crisis more than once.

7 Likes

Jan-ola, my congratulations, there is one person who must be filled with joy, It is the Italian genius, Leonard de vinci, he had a phrase that fits perfectly to what you build,

simplicity is supreme sophistication

7 Likes

Haha! Thank you @f_pal
I like it simple. Less gizmos, less maintenance.
Also, cost is another factor. The blade is just about the only thing I had to buy when I built this mill. I could have bought a mill with all the guards, shiny paint and stickers but I would need to saw a lot of logs to brake even.

12 Likes

Sorry JO. I knew you were posting. I was just trying to pull Kristijan into the conversation. He is so good at seeing a good idea and adding to it. TomC

8 Likes

Here l am Tom :wink: l hosted a small company of a couple of my best friends, ex schoolmates, at my fathers place this weekend. Good food, drink, and a complete lack of modern tehnology, feels so good once in a while. Most of my friends are close to the Dr. title by now, of various sciencetific directions like pharmacy, biochemistry, polymere technologi… lots of knolidge exchange.

JO, your videos made a warm wellcom here. Thank you wery much for the mill presentation. Its much clearer now. I imagined the setup is much more complex.
So you already done sawing? Did you saw any birch this year?

The only part l dont quite get is the actual swing mechaniam, l will be asking for aditional explanation if (more like when) l build mine.

11 Likes

I did read this on some guy’s profile on some forum… i am still LMAO

i just share it…

“It’s only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence”

14 Likes

Got my 7th calf for the summer it is the 3rd boy so I guess I better start castrating them now that the haying is done. I will keep the oldest one for my next breeding bull the other two become steers. No complaints here I am thrilled to have 7 healthy calves with 2 more on the way atleast I hope there are 2 more there should be. The mother is the first cow I raised here to calve since I started raising belted Galloway cows so that is kind of exciting feels like I finally can call this one mine. There is one other already this year from a cow I bought at 6 months old almost the same thing. All in all a good day on the farm when a healthy calf is born and the mother is healthy as well.

13 Likes

Just a couple more photos of the new calf. He is up and running all over the place and his mom is being a great mommy which is good to see with a first calf heifer.

16 Likes

My wife and I agreed. OOOHHHH isn’t he cute. Pretty solid looking, too.

4 Likes

Mom names my cows she named him Crescent. He was running and jumping playing with the other calves tonight amazing for only a day old. His mother was also trying to convince him to eat the hay tonight as well really funny after the cows had eaten most of their feed and calmed down she got him up took him over to the hay and after nursing started pointing him at the hay and eating. He will probably be eating hay by the end of the day tomorrow. Mind boggling to me as would take new born calves out of the dairy barn and spend about a month trying to get them to eat grain or hay. These Galloway cows raising their calves alway amaze me.

7 Likes

I found something of great interest on bees.

3 Likes

It says l cant acess the link becouse of the fact l am from EU and this violates some economic bla bla BS, culd you plese sumarize shortly?

Edit: Dan sent me a coppy, so no need for a summary. Interasting stuff thugh

3 Likes