Life goes on - Summer 2018

Summer is once again catching up with me and leaving me behind on my work. I am out planting my garden today while my neighbors are mowing the first crop of hay. Not to mention that my wood shed is empty and I have a mountain of logs to saw still. Somehow I find the time to get most of it done but it has kicked into the busy season again. I miss the old days when there was more help around here to run the farm. But life goes on and we do the best we can.

5 Likes

A couple of my kids came to visit Mary and I this past weekend.
This is my grandson on the shores of Lake Superior.

It was hot this weekend. We reached 90 F.

11 Likes

Great photos. Your hotter then here we have been in the low to mid 80s which seems about 15 degrees hotter then what I would expect right now.

3 Likes

Our average at this time is 61F. We will be back in the 60’s this week.

2 Likes

96f last weekend. It can’t get worse, can it? I hope it is true that the temp will be 70f in Argos!!!

3 Likes

Never ask that question… the guys from the south will tell you that 96 is winter cold snap or something.

4 Likes

The truck got a full service today, flushed rails and everything. This evening I brought some soap, went down to the river cottage and got a full service myself.

10 Likes

Dan, I’m fine with that. They can handle this “cut it with a knife” hot humid stuff. This snow flake melts away, fast!

3 Likes

Lol I was more thinking they might find a way to ship you more heat to teach you a lesson… :sweat_smile:
Now I am getting nervous someone will over shoot and send some of that hot weather all the way up here…
My Rhubarb is starting to bolt it is on the second or 3 round of seed heads I know I cant stach it out much longer because this heat we have now will kill it off. I need to make a batch of sauce to can for next winter before it totally goes by. Seems like I am alway too busy to do that during it’s short season.

4 Likes

As many of you, I like to feed my mechanical mind since my career as a waste treatment operator doesn’t to that for me. Here is what I do when I clock out. Mechanic for the Bandit Big Rig Series. My hometown friend (Justin Ball) races #17 peterbuilt. Just aired our own episodes on Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman a month or so back if you have or get a chance to watch I highly recommend. It’s grassroots racing at it’s purest when it comes to rigs, 100+mph, and asphalt. We cover most of the east coast and now working our way further west. It’s been a busy couple years :grinning:

6 Likes

Ok guys this is killing me! Where is the argos pictures? Help a guy out here…

9 Likes

Ran across this, has some cool pictures. http://www.build-a-gasifier.com/old-vehicles/

3 Likes

Haven’t had a chance to upload yet. sorry.

EDIT: Just uploaded what we have on the Argos pic thread.

Here’s pictures of my wife’s raised beds;

small portion of strawberries picked so far

13 Likes

Looks great!. What is the advantage of only raising the beds 8 inches? Is it just because you built up the soil for the beds? I have seen a garden like this a few times and wonders simply because it looks like someone put a ton of work into the layout.
I have a neighbor who lives just up the road from me at the top of a hill which is all sand. They have raised beds that are about waste high makes gardening really easy but there is so much sand there you pretty much have to build like that to stop the fertilize from just vanishing into the sand.

3 Likes

that’s keeps soil loose, never have to till. In the fall we cover in compost, and leaves, then cover each bed with black plastic, uncover in the spring, and plant. Make it very easy, no till, no weeds :grin:

5 Likes

Cool never heard of that before. Learn something new everyday.

Since first days of Maj when the last snow melted away we’ve had a blue sky and 25-30C (around 80F) just about every day. Not a drop of rain in all that time. The ground is getting awfully dry.
This is the earliest I’ve ever seen hay bussines going on around here. Usually first week of July is when hay is cut.

4 Likes

Hay buisness is conciderably different here

7 Likes

Last few weeks seem kind of dry here in michigan,though not that dry,hope you guys get some rain, for your indepence crops and all.

2 Likes