Life goes on - Summer 2019

Same studies show why we have such an aversion to the cold. It’s why we don’t believe you can put on enough clothes. It has something to do with mitochondrial DNA or something like that I think. I never saw snow until I was 15 or 16 years old. Barely ever experienced freezing temps. I am convinced that where you grow up helps define some of that for you.
When we have Haitian or African or Amazonian students here in the fall, they have to go to the thrift store and get a heavy winter coat because the temperature is 68 F. They think they will turn to ice. I think it’s all a part of God’s system for making us adaptable.

3 Likes

Can anyone explain how this one works?

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-compact-car-opel-olympia-ol38-1938-with-wood-gas-generator-by-zanker-103181137.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=C718DDD7-1495-41F9-9125-274A08A4CDEF&p=201618&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3Dbar%26st%3D0%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D100%26sortby%3D2%26resultview%3DsortbyPopular%26npgs%3D0%26qt%3Dwoodgas%26qt_raw%3Dwoodgas%26lic%3D3%26mr%3D0%26pr%3D0%26ot%3D0%26creative%3D%26ag%3D0%26hc%3D0%26pc%3D%26blackwhite%3D%26cutout%3D%26tbar%3D1%26et%3D0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3D0%26loc%3D0%26imgt%3D0%26dtfr%3D%26dtto%3D%26size%3D0xFF%26archive%3D1%26groupid%3D%26pseudoid%3D%26a%3D%26cdid%3D%26cdsrt%3D%26name%3D%26qn%3D%26apalib%3D%26apalic%3D%26lightbox%3D%26gname%3D%26gtype%3D%26xstx%3D0%26simid%3D%26saveQry%3D%26editorial%3D1%26nu%3D%26t%3D%26edoptin%3D%26customgeoip%3D%26cap%3D1%26cbstore%3D1%26vd%3D0%26lb%3D%26fi%3D2%26edrf%3D%26ispremium%3D1%26flip%3D0%26pl%3D

Hope the long links above do not mess something up.

Interesting refractory video:

6 Likes

Hi Jeff,

The pictures are the front end of the car, showing the cooler and the filter.
Left side pipe , over the roof, is the pipe comming from the gasifier on the back.

4 Likes

Thanks Koen, I did not know there was a gasifier in the back end. Now that makes sense. I think I can see it in the shadow now.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,
I found some pictures from the back, enjoy…

googel “zanker holzvergaser”

14 Likes

15 Likes

For all you old timers out there who used to get the yahoo gasification email lists, I copied this notice from Greg Manning.

For those that do not, know, and with a very sad heart, I have been
Informed, that Doug, Williams of Fluidyne Gaification, in New Zealand,
Passed this morning, This comes from Stephanie, his Daughter…

the World has lost a very knowledgeable, friendly, giving person…

Greg Manning

9 Likes

Not good news, but thank you for sharing it. He was one very knowledgeable wood gas who graciously shared his knowledge with us that were just starting to get into wood gas. My thanks and prayers go with him. TomC or as I was known there Ginfizz

6 Likes

So, the surgeon released me Wednesday. He says I am good to go. He says the foot pain should continue to diminish over a couple months until it is gone. I’m supposed to go back to work and moving etc…Just not supposed to lift over 50 lbs for a while. Praise God. These past several months have been really hard. Not over yet, but I am feeling hopeful again. I still don’t have enough energy, which I need as we are getting ready for some of us to go to Africa in September. But I’ll take it as it is and how it comes.
We have been blessed through all of this. Turns out that the scrap R-11 freon I found several months back was worth enough to cover all my lost time and pay all the monthly bills, medical bills, and the trip to Africa. Should be getting a check for that today or tomorrow. So I can’t really complain about anything. I was even able to weed the garden this morning, bending over and everything. WOW!

Also, I have to say that I am ever grateful for my family who have carried things while i have been down. Couldn’t ask for better.

Now we’re off to pick mushrooms…it’s that time of year again.

17 Likes

Koen, everything out and easy to work on! Thanks for the photos!

Don, I can not believe that Doug pasted away. That really blows my mind and heart…

7 Likes

Billy, So glad to hear things slowly getting back to normal for you.

7 Likes

Billy I wish I had the energy and time to weed my garden. Want to come up and help? Spent last night taking the motor apart I just put together for the loader tractor. No idea why the oil pump didn’t pick up oil. Spent the better part of the day today doing repairs on my baler. Broke the pickup belt drive but you have to take off the knotter drive gear to fix that on my NH 565 and I managed to get the knoters out of time and cycling so I had a mess there to fix to get them back in time. Plus I found half a dozen other little mantaince items I had to do when I took it apart. Typically farming I guess but it seems l have more then my fair share of breakdowns right now.

8 Likes

Hey Dan.

I was once asked if I had dependable equipment . No , but I have very predictable equipment :grinning:

11 Likes

Well maybe our southern friends won’t think anything of it but it is 82F here today with about 90% humanity and I just got the last 135 bales off the field that is a work out for a northern guy in this heat. About 660 bales between yesterday and today with thunderstorms coming this afternoon.

I won’t have the parts to put my loader tractor back together until late in the week so I will have atleast one more round of hand loading before it is back out in the field.

11 Likes

( Well maybe our southern friends won’t think anything of it but it is 82F here today )

Yes Dan , Us southerners would take note of the 82F and be looking for a coat. :grinning:

10 Likes

It was a garden processing day here today. Got 18 quarters of broccoli 17 quarts of cauliflower and 12 quarts of cabbage in the freezer. The garden is growing wicked fast with all the rain and heat this summer.

5 Likes

That should make the bed sheets flutter!

5 Likes

Dan, nice truck and trailer. You must drop the bales on the ground and hand load.

The bale here are carbonizing in the field before they can be loaded because of all this wonderful heat. :sweat::sweat:

Just kidding.

3 Likes

Thanks I bought that truck new in 2005 it has treated me ok. Tons of power for sure.
Yes with my D15 loader tractor down do to motor issues I have to hand load the hay from the ground.

Those photos are from last summer but this photo is how my tractor looks today

:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::exploding_head::exploding_head:
My head is exploding because I thought I had fixed that motor last week but the oil pump didn’t get primed and it did $200 worth of damage that I am waiting for parts to put it all back together. Hopefully it will be back together this weekend at the latest. Then I can go back to the easier way of haying.

9 Likes

Yeah. Engine rebuilds. Oil pump priming became one of my primary starting up worries too.
Some I could drill drive the pump when half assembled.
Others I found best to set up and air pressurized external oil reservoir plumbed into a gallery plug to for-sure fill all spaces with oil.
Still . . . a butt-cheek-clenched worry.
The later OHC types with hydraulic lash adjusters; clattering, waiting for oil fill were a worry too. Easy to have a follower finger pop sideways and jam up the works. With damage.
I feel your pains, man.
S.U.

8 Likes