Life goes on - Summer 2019

The oil pump on the old Allis Chalmers is on the back of the motor behind the clutch. Poor design but it allowed then to drive it directly off the end of the cam shaft. Anyway I will put the lower half of the motor together install it and crank the motor over with the starter before putting the head on that will allow me to know for sure that it is pumping before I run it.

9 Likes

Brand new BMWs catch fire. Hot EGR valves make carbon glow and melt intakes.
Hey BMW, didn’t Mr Wayne tell us to stay away from plastic intakes? :smile:

Hör Krister berätta om mardrömsfärden på motorvägen | SVT Nyheter

14 Likes

And thoes that ignored him paid the price.:grin::grin:

6 Likes

i would agree with that. i was about 4 years old out in the back yard playing in a blizard and 2 feet of snow, like you say it has a lot too do with how the weather was growing up as children.:zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

I do debate that. I think we have to separate this into 2 categories. Mental toughness, and physical disposition. Unless you go to the extremes, like the Tibetan highlanders or Peruvians with different blood to cope with high altitudes, or eskimos, people are pretty much all built the same. I know many Salvadorans and Colombians who scrape their windshields here at minus 38 and get by as well as anyone else. I lived in the tropics, and do fine in the heat. And for a while here each summer we get that climate too. I think the mental game is the main variable. A lot of people would break down and cry at minus 35, and flee the country. Not because of what’s in their blood, but what’s in their head.

12 Likes

Gary I mostly agree with you. There is a real phenomena which does happen where people develop thinner blood in hot climates. It takes about 18 months to adapt in both directions. I only know because I experienced it first hand when I was in Tiawan for about that length of time the second summer was easier for me but the following winter here the cold hit me like never before and I just toughed it out but did look into it. That doesn’t mean I think it is any different for anyone simply that we do adapt some based on the environment over the course of a year or more. I wish I remembered more about the study I read at the time but it was about 12 years ago now so the details are lost to the dust bin of history in my memory.
But I do agree with you that the physical aspect will happen in anyone given time.
That said my late uncle always claimed that people feel the most at home where they spend their early teen years. I think for the most part he is right there. I think we tend to build a mental attachment in those years to the world around us and it is why I feel most at home in New England and can’t feel relaxed in the open space of the mid west but people I knew when I lived out that way can’t relate to our hills and mountains. They feel the world is too confined here but to me it is just privacy and I missed it out in Ohio.

8 Likes

https://assets.amuniversal.com/d46aafa0ead90136733a005056a9545d
Just had to post this somewhere, figured this was the best place.

12 Likes

7 and 1/2 quarts of sauerkraut. That is a first for me I have never raised cabbage before but there is a ton more out there this year.

13 Likes

OK, I’ll submit to just being weak when it gets cold…Haha. I don’t know the extent or degree of the study I read the article about. For practical purposes I imagine you are right.

And maybe the effect that is referenced is more what Dan is talking about…adaptation.

Robin, I love it.

2 Likes

Nothing on a store shelf beats homemade sauerkraut!!!

5 Likes

It has been a 6 week project and everything that could go wrong did but my D15 loader tractor now has a fully rebuilt motor and is running. I still have to pull the carburetor off and clean out the needle and seat because something got stuck in there but that isn’t a big deal. I also need to double check the timing not easy as the loader frame is in the way but I have timed it before.
Anyway it is back up and running which is good news. We did have to drag it all over the place and crank the starter while towing it to get it to start because the motor was so tight it wouldn’t turn over even though everything was torqued to spec. But after it ran for about an hour it restarted on the starter. It has good oil pressure now and also has good flow everywhere we could check it. It is now 12 volt negative ground it was 12 volt positive ground and has an alternator and electric ignition system to replace the old points. So it should give a lot less trouble now. Anyway just wanted to share a little good news.

17 Likes

Nice job, like the switch to negative ground.
Pepe

4 Likes

Hello all.

It is summer time in Alabama !! Yesterday was over 100F and no breeze ( yes I DOW at those temps and truck did good ) .

I was breaking down and putting new back tires on my tractor and was not able to get it in the shade :disappointed_relieved:. The tools were so hot I couldn’t hold them . I got a five gallon bucket of water and wife would cool them in the water so we could handle them :grinning:

Years ago this kind of heat would not bother me but now I have to take a watermelon break often .

14 Likes

Well my hat is off to you. At 100 I just hide by an AC unit and hope it will keep me alive. But I would think pretty soon that tractor tire will take itself off in a puddle of rubber.
We are getting rain everytime I turn around so I picked beans today. My uncle took half of them and I got 11 pints of dill beans and 7.5 quarts of beans setup to ferment because mom thought that would be a good way to process some. No idea how that will work out. But today I did cook beef in my crockpot with a pint of sauerkraut the sauerkraut wasn’t really ready but it was really good anyway.

5 Likes

Hi WayneK,
Not many truely hot, hot days here for us this year. We’ve only had now 9, 90F days. Average is 12-15 in a “summer”. Helping a nieghbor on his Jeep on one of these sunny-hot days he used a crank-up portable 9’ umbrella canopy stand for us.
I liked it so much that I bought a $69. “special” one for the wife, for a VFW kids-fishin-game community parade-day sun/rain cover.
It’s special as dark chocolate brown for me to borrow-use for sun-rain cover auto repairs!
M-a-b-y-b-e my greasy finger prints borrowing will not be so obvious.
Just a suggestion . . . . get the ones with fiberglass bows ( cheap wooden one on falls break). . . and add base weight for wind gusts knock downs.
Regards
Steve unruh

3 Likes

I bike a lot, sometimes 20 miles a day, and most of it is just for fun in town. One of my friends neighborhood has a lot of apartment complexes, and near those are big dumpsters. I was biking by today and saw a wheel sticking out of the dumpster. So I take a look, and there is what I believe to be a vintage 1980 Schwinn approved world 10 speed. It was a great find, and apart from that, I have not gotten any really quality bikes for free. I took it home, and inspected it, seeing if there was any major problems, Rust, corrosion, bent rims, popped tires, etc. after a quick tuneup and new brake pads, I can say that it is in really good condition apart from paint scratches. I have no idea why somebody would throw something that nice away, but I have another bike now. Below are pictures of the bike after the tuneup.

14 Likes

I had one of those in highschool but mine was so worn out that the gears where literally rounded over and would throw a chain. Those are great bikes.

2 Likes

that is a great road bike there…

3 Likes

At 37:50 in this vid, it shows a one horse power log splitter.

2 Likes

Not sure my post belongs on this ( life goes on topic ) :cry:

Yesterday a 600 pound calf that I plan to sale in the next couple weeks pulled down an electric wire at my sawmill and chewed through the insulation. As you can tell from the below pic it didn’t taste very good to the calf . .

IMG_0962