Life goes on - Summer 2019

Where the dryers are it’s sauna even in winter time. By school standards we should be in shut down mode at all times :smile:

7 Likes

somehow i get mixed up… 77ºF i consider cold here… average outside in the shade i have 98ºF

4 Likes

98F in the shade? Doesn’t that bamboo turn into charcoal on it’s own after you cut it down and just leave it in the sun for an hour or so? I would melt in those temperatures. Oh I remember what that was right the 18 months I spent in Tiawan I ran from the car to the building to get back inside the AC zone. When it finally got to about 70 and a light rain I ran outside to enjoy it and the locals where scared I would catch a cold. :wink:

4 Likes

I lost a pig that way once

2 Likes

Wife left for the weekend. She brought the dogs to participate in an agility event. It’s a 300 mile roundtrip (on dino :sleepy:)
Myself, I’m about to be off for a nightshift in the paper mill (two bags of chunks are waiting on the driver’s seat).
If I’d been allowed to take the shift off and take wife to the event and back, we would have saved about the same amount on dino that I will be earning tonight at the mill :thinking:
But than again, I would be stuck with a whole bunch of cackling ladies for the whole weekend.
We have saying: “…like choosing between plague and cholera” :smile:

9 Likes

My last scan was mildly positive. I feel better. The plan is to be at Argos 2020. :blush:

17 Likes

That Is great we have missed you.

12 Likes

Wait. Why haven’t you gotten your wife to use wood? You could have taken the night off work, and gone to the pub and had a -really- good time and spent the same amount of money. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sean, that’s spot on my thinking :smile:
To tell you the truth I don’t expect I will ever be able to convince her to DOW. She doesn’t mind riding with me but that’s about it I guess.
Also, it seems we developed a way to separate our responsibilities over the years. For some reason I happened to end up in charge of earnings and she handles the spending :thinking:

17 Likes

What JO said :grinning:

8 Likes

Sounds like a Blessed relationship to me. If I had to do the shopping it would cost me more monies. Even if I go shopping with Dana it will cost us more monies. I’m happy to just carry the groceries into the house a help put them away.
Bob

6 Likes

On the bright side, it is a really good sign she doesn’t mind riding with you. :slight_smile:

Sounds like maybe you need to work on the stand alone generator to plug into an EV. You might be able to sell them. Apparently there is a power grid crunch in Sweden as sales of EVs are up to like 12% of the market there, which is up 253% over the first 5 months.

4 Likes

Ha! Ha!
In with the flow of she-who-must-be-obeyed’s . . . .
My Plan was to early retire. Cut back my own over-spendings to just what I could then dribble income support. That has worked.
My hope was without me earnings subsidizing my wife’s desires/spending then she would self-moderate a bit.
She considers that she did. No honey-bunny you just began working out more to keep your itches scratched. Switched from the shopping-mall brand stores to thrifts. You shop just as often. Buy just as many times.
She says that she likes $'s working out. Gives her her sense of self-gratification and plenty of professional appreciate back pats.
Hmmm. When she is home like these last 3 days of holiday seems I have to work a lot more on She-projects. When, if she ever “retires” and stays home all of the time . . .
Yep.
I’m with BobMac. Let her spend what she wants and just help her unload the vehicle.

It is a fools errand to get the she-in-your-life to commit before an actual perceived need by that she.
She asked me what impact it would have on us if the US/China tariffs-trade-war keeps escalating. I told her she would no longer be able to buy a new cheap un-warped aluminum teflon coated frying pan every 4-6 months. No problem she said. She’d just revert back to her heirloom cast iron pans. Sigh.
We lake canoed and picnicked again yesterday. For the fourth year now. STILL with summer warmed shallow lake water I cannot get her to dunk/practice a spilled-over canoe no-touch-bottom recovery! She say’s we will figure it out come the need. Read the books I insisted. Watched the video I bought.
So fellows the best you can do is set up the “possibles” for times of needs. Ha! A roped attached cut bleach bottle bailing scoop.
Don’t sweat the can’ts. Do the can’s.
S.U.

4 Likes

True, but plug-in hybrids are included.
56% in Norway (our neighbours).

??? 3 years maybe?

Not about the actual power grid, but the availability of charging stations. Also about standardisation. Different power companies have different rates (charging time or kWh) and different means to pay (memberships, cards etc). An EV is still only usefull in urban areas, unless you stay within the usual radius around your woodpile :smile:

5 Likes

Range on an EV isn’t really a problem any more Tesla has them with 300 mile plus range. That puts then in the same ballpark as a gas car and I can probably count on my fingers the times I have ever filled a tank twice in the same day in all my years of driving. Charge up before you leave home and 300 miles later you will be ready for a charging break.

So how many hours do I have to wait to finish my 363 mile trip? This is real world for me.

4 Likes

Milage for long range model 3 is 310 miles you can add 75 miles in 5 minutes so a five minute break will get you 385 miles which is well over your 363 mile trip. You do need a Tesla charger on route depending on the trip that might add a few miles.

2 Likes

I personally am happy with people switching to hybrids. I wouldn’t buy a bev at this point. It is to easy to get lost and stuck without charging nearby around me. I don’t think that is consensus around Europe though…

Cutting out the typical gas expense of like work or the 3 trips to the hardware store because i forgot/broke something would be ideal.

The article i read said there was too much new grid demand in Stockholm and other cities from like trains and other new projects. They don’t have the line capacity for many additional chargers.

That really does sound like a FF lobbiest statement though. Either that article or the next talked about a moratorium on the incentives.

3 Likes

The reality is that to produce the motive power from a national electrical grid will take roughly a tripling of the generating capacity.

And this is only the superficial analysis, as the battery manufacturing itself is a quite energy intensive hidden cost, and resource intensive in probably unsustainable ways when it comes to phosphate and cobalt particularly. Also these resource limitations indicate that the car culture can’t likely be continued on renewable energy and battery power.

We need to reorganize more fundamentally, the personal car culture will largely end along with fossil fuels.

3 Likes

I am more positive on the EV front. As to charging most studies I have seen say that smart charging over night could load ballance the grid and not add much peak demand. If everyone comes home and simply plugs in their car which starts charging right away sure it will require a larger grid because people also walk in side and fire up the oven to cook dinner or whatever else we all do to generate the peak demand from 4 to 8 PM when we get home from work. But if your car simply waits until after you go to bed and charges after you have turned off the oven and turned off the lights it will not require more capacity of the grid just more hours the grid runs at it’s current capacity. Ofcourse the reality with renewable energy is that charging during peak daylight solar hours or peak wind hours will help but that will require employees provide access points for charging. I think the answer going forward for transportation and energy will look much different but that anywhere you spend hours parked solar powered charging will become a logical benefit for employers to offer to attack employees. Just a guess on my part but it is getting cheap to install solar panels and inverters the expensive part is storage so if the employees provide the experience part it could be a win win situation and would definitely be a way to attract employees if you work here you go home with a full battery pack everyday.
But honestly I think going forward distrusted solar will address most of the increased demand on the grid.
Battery technology is still in flux. There is alot of work being done to limit the cobalt and nickel used in lithium batteries. There is also a ton of work being done with carbon only and carbon added to the negative side of lead acid. I think we will continue to see that market change over the next 2 decades as demand pushed the technology forward.
I am very curious to see if the all carbon solution is able to cross from supercapacitor to batteries. If that is possible the cost should reduce and the availability of raw materials will be almost infinite. Carbon is abundant and easy to find.
So I have hope that the EV will replace the ff cars. I figure the tipping point will be the trucking industry. If Tesla and BYD are correct that they can compete in that space it will show the energy shift.

3 Likes