Life goes on - Summer 2019

I really wish Stigge Werner would contact us all. He is the one that came over to Canada and built a gasifier for some one back in the bush. He documented the entire build. I still have notes in my note book on dimensions for a Imbert gasifier. By the way, Mr. Wayne mentioned that he had a Chev C10 running on a WWII gasifier. I might mention, that C10 is a “van”. The gasifier is mounted on one of the back doors and the cooler and filters is the usual one mounted on the front bumper. We got a lot of information from his posts when he was on Yahoo Woodgas forum. I think we would all admit that we have gained much from the Europeans that have joined DOW ( even South Africans, Australians, New Zealand and South Americans_)
JO; Sorry we made you sick over here.:grin: I do hope the meds cure what ever it is that got you. The bad news is you got bit by one of our notorious wood ticks. The good news is if he was big enough to clearly see with the naked eye, he wasn’t the type that passes lymes decease. TomC (I don’t know nothing about TBE or Borelia my specialty is heart attacks and old age. )

6 Likes

J.O. have them check for Lyme’s disease anyway also.
On Argos’ week my wife was flown 2500 miles away in south central Virginia State visiting/working on her friends CSA vegetable and free-range chickens farm. This is considered southern-grow-early with three crops a year of vegetables possible. She came back extolling the early lettuce’s, zukeni squash and such.
Sure grow many bloods sucking people/dogs biting bugs there for sure. When I’ve visited there and gone forest walking it needs a head-to-toes strip down to de-bug myself.
Wife came back with five tick bite spots.
We wait. We watch now.
Our home bugs here PNW mostly eat each other, and woods.
Regards
Steve unruh

5 Likes

watch out for lyme’s disease. maybe a strong round of doxycycline. Don’t mess around with it, if it is. Hit it hard and soon. Those spirochetes develop resistance like nothing else.

Anyone who has fought that off will likely tell you to not take it lightly. Bad stuff. Makes a hard working man want to just sit on the couch.

4 Likes

And let’s not forget… Koen in Thailand (edited), my goodness we have wood gasifiers or charcoal gasifiers doing some kind of gasification on every continent and the islands on this earth we live on. Long Live Gasification for the People by the People. That sounds familiar.
Bob

2 Likes

I did some reading and apparently what you call Lymes disease is what we call Borelia infection.
With higher temps ticks carry those bacterias up here at 60° too nowdays. They didn’t when I grew up.

That’s exactly what the doctors ordered.

8 Likes

As far as the Lyme disease, you should look in to …Cat’s Claw…
Here is a vid that is hard to believe but, there are other like it on youtube.

4 Likes

I should have introduced my rooster to JO . He is real good about knocking insects off your boots and pants

4 Likes

Haha, I think Lisa did a pretty good job introducing him to us even though he was mostly interested in keeping bugs off of her :smile:
To tell you the thruth I don’t belive I have a bacterial infection at all, since my sedimentation rate was fairly low. I most likely picked up a virus on some of the airports or flights.
Let’s just hope the antibiotic I was given (just to be on the safe side) doesn’t kill the woodgas bug. It should be pretty resistant though :smile:
Feeling better already btw.

10 Likes

Everyone keeps telling me that I should get guinea hens to deal with the ticks but man do they make a ton of noise and here I would have to fence the property in or they would not last a day with all the road traffic.

3 Likes

With the Woodgas bug, the longer you are away from it the stronger it becomes and when it bits you again, you are at its mercy all over again. That’s why I wanted you drive the 92 Dodge Dakota. Just driving it seems to help you with your withdrawal while visiting us on this side of the pond.
Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Bob

4 Likes

Thanks Bob. I feel honoured to have driven the real thing - with a history of world record, DOW speeding ticket and all the bells and whistles I could ever had imagined :smile:

5 Likes

My Son came up to visit today and we went fishing on the largest fresh water lake in the world which is a half hour from my house. We found a place on the shore to land the boat.

14 Likes

Reportedly, there is another big storm coming through next week.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-07/us-farms-are-facing-their-worst-crisis-generationand-now-here-comes-another-monster

I for one don’t appreciate the political fear mongering included in articles like this. I can go to Facebook to read such nonsense.

3 Likes

Our civilization does depend utterly on a surplus of food being generated. The world annual average figure now is a reserve supply of 55 days or less. Just wait and see what happens when we get to insufficient reserves for some reason.

Koen is in Thailand, he might take exception to being deported to the Philippines… :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks Garry for catching my blunder, I corrected it with a (edit). And sorry Koen for deporting you on paper.
Bob

4 Likes

Saw this in Riding mountain national park yesterday evening.

Never seen 3 cubs. In the park the bears are fearless, interesting to see, you can tell they are regarding us, wheels are turning in those heads.

11 Likes

At a near by friends, this would be a daily occasion this time of year. He feeds the mother bares by hand while the cubs skitter up a tree and watch. TomC

2 Likes

Wife and I finnaly did get the old family 30 foot by 70 foot garden plot fully planted in.
We are late this year by ~2 weeks. On “Argo’s” week my wife was fly-away vacationing back in Virginia State. A good weather week here. Then back she busy wasted away the first fair weather days. Then it rained for three days. Frosted for two mornings coming out of that with clear sky nights.

This year I am helping doing “her” vegetable garden her old family traditional way.
Almost.
I am deep shovel/mix digging in her loved wide spaced rows 16 inches deep mixing in ~30% of rich manure compost mix.
Ha! I’ve been trying to break this new guaranteed-unbreakable-for-life Mother-Earth/Fiskars all steel spading shovel.
I’d actually bought this as a joke-gift for a shovel breaking neighbor. He’s on his third shovel this Spring. $Wood, $$wood, now $fiberglass.
I have to apologize for ever calling this MENs/Fiskers all steel shovel a joke.
Gardening it is working excellent. I’ve come to like much the oval cross sectioned shaped handle. It really does not get hot out in the sun. And NO hand blisters or slivers.

Ha! The Joke has turned out to be on me. Deep spading/turning I am now running into many head sized rocks never encountered before. Steel “unbreakable” full body weight prying these up and out. The joke is enough garden level volume taken out that I have stepped back from my annual raise back up garden bring-in material height raising.

And now she is insisting on me going back to full garden overhead sprinkler watering.
Yes Dear.
S.U.

8 Likes

Pretty soon you will decide to make raised beds instead of messing around with those rocks. A friend of mine has raised beds it is really nice to weed and harvest without bending over I have to admit.

2 Likes