Life goes on - Summer 2019

Hi Kristijan ! Thanks for coming and visiting us. We enjoyed your company. Thanks for helping me on my tractor.
You have a very nice homestead. It all looks very good except for the goose berries, I can’t stand sour!
Thanks again, Ron L.

5 Likes

Thanks very much for the tour Kristijan . Very nice farm yall have there . I know you are glad to be back on it :grinning:

4 Likes

Great video show&tells KristijanL.
I can see your lady like you practice earthgrounding as my nurse wife has been promoting now. Barefoot, electrically earthed.
I am glad you were able to see the Norths and the Kieths places to verify that Use-it-all, Make-do, or Do-Without is a universal Rural living ethic anywhere. Pretty, show placing, is a distraction.
The real worth’s proof being in the ending result eating of it!
Look like those goats have figured out your wire loop latch, eh? Goat are smart. Goats are mischievous.

Morning frost here this morning still for us in our PNW mountains.
Arrgh! Carrots? You “southerners” can have them early along with the warmed-early bugs problems.
Besat regards to you and yours
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Very good video Kristijan. Wow, you’ve got a lot going. No wonder you were busy prepping for your wife before you left for Argos. I really like your diversity of animals.
What was that small “pool” in one of the videos?

5 Likes

Thanks guys, still a lot to do. 10 days away is a lot in peak season. But anyway, as l said before, the decision to visit you guys was one of the best l ever made. Learned so much. The spirit of the Drive on wood members is just undescribeable. I am glad if anyone picked something usefull from me, as l sure did from all you guys! It will take about a month to process it all.

I need about 5 more days to put everything back in order, mowed the winyard and cut some hay today. And l preety much passed out after lunch :smile:

In the video, you can see things just like l did for the first time after the trip. Some things were not pleasant but l decided to post it anyway. I am specialy angry with that rat that just barely got away.
It was allso a sad video, a few hours after shooting it the peacock died. He was the pride of our farm but a broaken leg bone, 2 operations and a eye blinded to a angry rooster was too much he culd take. And as much as we culd take, the operations set us back a lot, financialy. He was a family member so ofcorse we did everything to help him, unfortunaly in vain. RIP Vinko.

JO, thats our fish pond. I was hoping the young carp wuld see on the vid but they didnt.

14 Likes

I fully agree. A very friendly bunch of people.
Woodgassers are supposed to be the odd ones, but I can’t recall a single akward moment during our stay.

11 Likes

Thank you Kristijan for a couple great videos. You took me back about 75 years to when I was a kid. Before I started working, which was age 7, I spent my summers going around to aunt/uncle’s farms for a couple of weeks at a time. Their farms were a lot like yours, chickens for eggs and meat, and Guinness, cows for milk which was one of their cash products, one still farmed with horses, pigs and a big garden. Ron says he doesn’t like goose berries. I haven’t seen a goose berry bush since back then. I didn’t see any cows and what do you use horses for. Your farm is so directed to growing food, that I can’t believe you keep them just for recreational riding. You appear to have straw berries in season; the only thing in season here yet is asparagus. I do envy you but I don’t see how you find the time.
As has been said many times already, but I have to say it again; It made our get together something special this year with you and JO there. Thank you for coming. TomC

8 Likes

I agree. JO and Kristijan, you two made this one of the best wood gas meetups. I think it’s amazing how we all can live 1000’s of miles apart yet share many of the same interests. It’s nice to have so many down to earth people meet in one place. Thank your families for me in doing without you during your visit here.

10 Likes

Has anyone heard from Abner or Jeff Davis?

2 Likes

I just got a comment on an old video from Stigge Werner . ( a veteran woodgaser )

I think some at Argos were talking about him just last week.

Below is a link to the video if anyone wants to go to the comment section to see his comment and my reply .

Edit . You may need to click on the title at the top of the video. ( old ford hauling hay) for the youtube comments to show .

4 Likes

DSCN9964
Last nights supper.
DSCN9963
But half the family eats their corn raw.

7 Likes

A few more garden treats this morning.
DSCN9965DSCN9966DSCN9968

11 Likes

My garden still looks like a patch of dirt with strings across it. I just weeded around the tomatoes and some other transplants my beans are just breaking ground but it will be a long time before I have food from it still.

5 Likes

DSCN9999DSCN9997

DSCN0002DSCN0001

Well I did not realize Jakob posted some vegetable pics yesterday. So I took some of part of today’s little harvest. Time to put up cauliflower and broccoli. Also found a few cabbages starting to get wormy so we decided to eat for supper with our second meal of corn on the cob.

Kholrabi swelled up as did the tomatoes when we finally got rain yesterday and today.

Notice he first cucumber of the season with the last beet from winter garden. And just one little chicken egg today.

Time to strip the snow peas and sugar snap peas to make room for more corn and beans. And the tomatoes started coming off yesterday.

I need a few more chicken tractors to keep up with the weeds. I hate to hoe.
Life is good with garden treats.

Also, My wonderful wife and daughter made me 32 quarts of pickled cauliflower/carrots/celery/onion/garlic vegetable mix yesterday.
DSCN0004

Can’t wait for supper. Corn, corn, corn…fresh tomatoes…and fried cabbage…:smirk:

9 Likes

I’m assuming the lack of response means “no”. I’ve been kinda worried about them.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard from either one and really worried :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I sent Jeff a message, I hope he responds.
Bob

4 Likes

I messaged Jeff a while ago, no reply so far…

3 Likes

Stigge contacted me last year after I was on the news but I haven’t heard from him since.

I’ve been down in a fever with swollen lymph nodes for a couple days. Probably because of that growing scab spot I developed on my left cheek. Right where Lisa found a tick crawling during our stay at your place.
Anyway, doctors ordered antibiotics today. They didn’t want to take a chance with djungle bugs from across the pond :smile:
TBE and Borelia. Are they common over there?

3 Likes

I’ll be praying for you for a full recovery JO.
Bob

1 Like