Life goes on - Summer 2020

90 degrees, time to start thinking about winter. The wife and I wore ourselves out today splitting firewood for 2022.

14 Likes

Your wife is tough Bruce!

Don, it just so happenes l did a lot of hatching over the years. Check out yesterdays ducklings! Naturaly hatched.

image000000(1)

The thing with incubators is unless its a expensive machine the hatch percentige will warry between 0% and 50%. Specialy with difficult breeds like water fowl! Plus you have to deal with the chicks then. Natural incubation has a sucsess rate up to 100%. I set 10 eggs under this duck. 2 were eliminated as they were not fertilised. One embrio dyed and one egg went missing, probably rolled out somewhere so counting from fertilised eggs the sucsess rate is 86% but l have had this same duck hatch 16 eggs with 100% sucsess before!

Right now l have allso guinea fowl eggs and quail eggs under hens.

15 Likes

Nothing beats nature

9 Likes

Sure. Everyone gets a chance to run off the leaders they don’t like. Every 2-4 years. Getting that right was the point of ruining all the tea.
Nothing incredibly honorable about stealing and destroying some corporations tea back then.
Makes even less sense now to fight perceived systemic racism by burning down the businesses and homes owned by the race of people who are supposedly being discriminated against. Steve u is right. Our people have paid dearly to keep the right of all to peacably protest. Plain English, US constitution. How does anyone not get the"peacably" part.? Big difference between that and what is happening.

Anyway. Looks great on the ducks guys. I love duck eggs.

7 Likes

Wishing everyone a Great Independence day :grinning:

9 Likes

Happy 4th everyone! :boom::fireworks::firecracker::us::us::us::us::us::us:

6 Likes

Ha! Ha! Well one less baby bantee chick now. One of the mothers had her clutch of 5 out alongside of the county road, outside our chain-link yard fence.
I heard a car stop from the porch where i was sitting reading. A couple of girl youths ran out. Then ran back to the car giggling, “They are so cute!” By the time i got up and went to the gate one chick gone by-by to a new home.
Shame was if they’d asked, expressing interest I would have given them two; a male and a female and a can of the medicated chick starter feed.

SteveB i am not so hard to understand if you realized I reject ALL form of binary-set solutions, and zero-sum games.
I want, demand and will create a third option solution. Not decide, not commit until I have a range of choices then.

Keeping this woodgas related.
Imbert style and rocket stove affectations of insisting on Velocity (Turbulence) as the only King-Way is sto-o-pid, short sighted and use limiting.
When obviously much velocity slower, larger big wad of combusting&reducing fuel-mass systems are workable too. The WK’s, the Mukunda’s.
Now just as obvious taking that approach too far into too, cool and slow of usage like the FEMA’s is too extreme. Then the super slow, low turbulence but super high Temperature as the KIng-Way systems are too extreme too with surefire system materials killing.

But to propose and use a “compromise” (BALANCED TTT) system for most fellows is “cheating”, wishy-washy, too non-Ideal.
Shooo. Leave the Ideals, to the never-get-done’s; and the never-be-satisfied Idealists, says I.

“So SteveU., are you a Christian? Or one of them atheists?” (just asking announces a binary set viewpoint.)
Are you going to Heaven? Or Hell?
Ha! I live . . . . Don’t Ask. Don’t Tell.
But watch careful applied results. Net effects.

Binary is for dumb-dumb flip-switch equipment’s/systems.
Base ten works out much better for the capable.
Ha! And the really truly capable can work in inches, feet, yards; pence, shillings, pounds; stones and tonnes . . . and think it is fun.
Remember Fun?
Pre-Covid-19 not channeled restricted fun?
S.U.

5 Likes

Steve U.,

I am a Christian, since you asked.

I hope you get a chuckle out of this—that is the way it is intended. About your writing style—When I first started reading your posts on DOW, I thought, “Maybe he is a foreign (international) contributor.” Then I saw a video interview with you and realized that you talk like a normal American (if there is such a thing). Anyway, I find all this interesting. Thanks for your valuable contribution to DOW. By the way, I majored in Printing Technology and English in college. That’s why I’m limited to writing in complete sentences.

7 Likes

Sigh. And 12 grade only me has lifelong read a lot.
I write by throwing it all up on a wall, and then scaping off what doen’t look good. What doesn’t make a point.
Obviously I edit poorly.
Mike LaRosa (now deceased) used to complain to me with his dyslexia I would put him to sleep.
I changed then. Told Mike if he’d just read my first, and last, that would do it. All of the middle was just extra nails.
S.U.

Opps. SteveB I was not asking you. I was rhetorically asking myself just as I get asked too much. 1600 population local town with five different churches.
Apologies for the “Steve’s” confusions I created.

4 Likes

I was schooled (read his books) by a laid-back hippie type tech writer who explained the value of writing like you were having an impromptu conversation, using phrases like “ferinstance” and attaboy! Now that I am older, I just try to be understandable. Steve U. has a style all his own, which is how he lives, and writes. I like that, by the way! Go Steve!! :smile:

4 Likes

That’s funny, SteveB.
I’m glad you brought this SteveU-grammar-subject up. I always thought I didn’t always quite follow SteveU only because I’m a “2nd-languager”.

I could never do that. I would end up with nothing to post :smile:

9 Likes

Hi All,
Unusual for this topic to go dead unused as long as it has now.
Hopefully none shied off by our Steve&Steve confusions? Just blame our mothers names fashioning.

We’ve had a few days of cooler wet weather here so I got involved with some of my put off heavy depth readings.

“12 Rules For Life: An Antidote To Chaos”
Jordan B. Peterson 2018
ISBN 978-0-345-81602-3
eBook ISBN 978-0-345-81604-7
He is a university teaching professor and working clinical psychologist.
He spent 20-30 years studying human historical and current mythologies.
Read this and you’d best have a KJV Bible handy. Help to have a Talmud and an Tao Te Ching too for reference.
Ha! So for a while I may be his Canadian upper prairie spellings influenced.
Canadian-English “Centre” versus American-English “center”, etc.

Coolish, wetish Summer here. Great, great berries and fruit trees sets this year. Great garden cool weather harvesting. But be no maturing corn, tomatoes and other heat lovers this year for us.
We seem to be wedged in-between the North Eurasia hot, hot and the upper eastern North America hot, hot.
Gets me expecting another round of climate change man-must-stop-immediately-now screechings.
“2020; the Preview Year”
Human activities sudden shut downs. And the social/financial results of abrupt sudden humans activates mandated halting.
Locally we are up to our fourth person I-know/talked-to suicides from activities forbidden despair despondencies. Their faces and voices makes this very real and personal.
Puts this death rate at one in 5000 locally. Exceeds by far our states Covid-19 actual deaths rate.

Anyhow reading JordanP’s book helps to restore your balanced outlook and hopes. A very positive read.
I highly recommend.
Regards
Steve unruh

6 Likes

This hen hatched 6 guineans today. Everything fertilised hatched. Unfortunaly l forgot to secure the nest, one chick fell out and was so cold and stiff in the morning i was sure its dead, but it twiched with a toe a bit and l quickly started heating it with my breath. Then l put him under a wing of a nother hen hatching quail eggs. Miraculously, both chicks recovered in a matter of hours!!! Tough kids…

It is real interesting to watch, as the hen and chicks have no idea how to comunicate at first :smile: hen calls them and they call back in their own language but it took a whole day for them to start colaborating.

11 Likes

At that time in history we were not the United States of America. With a constitution a and rights for all in the land, the future USA. It seems we are go backwards though.
Bob

4 Likes

All you southerners, please call your weather back. Been in the 90’s for a week, 98 in the shade today. I don’t like it much over 70.:hot_face::hot_face::hot_face::hot_face::hot_face:

12 Likes

OK AL…Wait just a minute. No need to go flopping again. West Virginia has always flipped and flopped in her affiliations…LOL. Yeah, hot here too. But about to get to the right temp finally.

Bob, amen.

K, looking good. I heard some news of Slovenia today. It seems our first lady has/had a wooden statue in some town near her home town that was burned recently.

Steve, Peterson is a bit weird, but I really like him. I think he understands the human condition, and can explain it better than most.

My wife talked me into the seemingly unthinkable yesterday. She has been wanting a new couch for the living room. I have been successfully fending off all the $400-$500 ones on craigslist for a month now. Yesterday she found some kind of really expensive one …Ethan Allen? …$1500 worth?.. for free in Marrietta Georgia. Thing was, we had to go to through Atlanta to get it, and come home through Atlanta after late at night. Fortunately it rained all the way over, and it was Wednesday night. Both of those factors greatly reduce the risks posed by rioters and drive by shooters on the weekends there these days. Also, it was right next to Kennesaw, GA, which is, I believe the only town in the union that requires every head of household to own and maintain a firearm. They don’t have so much rioting there as you can imagine.
So we had a fine trip and burned about 230 pounds of wood. Unfortunately, we did have two drips of tar make its way to the bottom end of the sofa. Anyone have a simple solution for removing tar from fabric.? HAHA. Like I don’t already know the answer to that one.

Also, I just feel like I should share the good news. I have been hesitant for a while to mention it, but my back has been doing really well for quite a while now. Pretty much to the point that I no longer have any pain at all. Still some nerve damage pain in my foot from time to time, but overall, very much better. A year ago at this time I thought I would never be healthy again. Praise the Lord!.

16 Likes

Al, time to get outof the Vadmal Long Johns and dress up in your Polkadot Bikini :smile: :smile: :smile:

6 Likes

J.O.,
Song won’t go, you gotta love YouTube! (no you don’t). It’s OK, I think most of us have heard that one before!!
Steve U., Yes, I think Jordan P. really gets it. [Read Gulag Archipelago by: Aleksander Solzhenitsyn ]. Yes, sadly, more local young people suicides lately, confirmed social complications due to mentally un-healthy, un-natural conditions.

5 Likes

Steve and Mike,
Young suicides–so sad. They can’t see beyond today and their current circumstances–no hope. I know a better solution for that . . . .

4 Likes

I agree, young people need something to be hopeful about. The sad reality is that the “American dream” is wasting away. Inequality of every sort is slowly building like the compound interest that makes the lucky few billionaires at birth. We would like to think that we live in a meritocracy, but we delude ourselves if we think the playing field is level. It is easy to hold up a few examples of people who hustled and worked their way up from nothing - those are the exceptions that prove the rule these days. The reality is that if you are born to working class parents, you do not have much of a shot at moving up in the world. The system can only support so many over-paid executives, and those positions are not being distributed based on merit. I hear so much talk about “jobs” but then nobody seems to want to pay the prices that result when those jobs command a living wage.

The way I see it, this country is being parasited by the wealthy. Those at the top are taking home an outsized share of the economic output, while using their money and influence to lower their tax burdens, and divert even more money away from the social safety nets that would help ordinary people. And this is what blows me away; what is it all for? Once you make a million dollars, you could live comfortably, if not extravagantly, on the returns. Why do people keep accumulating wealth even after they are ultra-wealthy? Why do we condone it? Does anyone need a billion dollars? Invested, that much money would give you a million dollars a week in passive income. EVERY WEEK, without lifting a finger. And there are people worth 100 billion dollars? While American kids literally starve because their parents cant afford to feed them while working minimum wage jobs? This is the kind of country we want?

Is it any wonder that people feel hopeless, when they really do not have hope of a better future for themselves, and their kids?

5 Likes