Life goes on - Summer 2021

Drongelen, near the triangle Tilburg, Den Bosch, Breda. Some small village just above the river (canal actually) Bergsche Maas, near national park Biesbosch.
Alied forces stopped here on the other side of the river in 1944. Drongelen was totally shot to pieces. The next frerry in Dussen had a bad fight. Germans were in total panic and send everyone to a island and shot their own if they tried to run. Some Polish commando took the island. Anyway, war is still not forgotten here and we didnt had the fight like in former Yougoslavia or other places.

Landscape it very nice if you like the open. If you want woods, there is Loonse en Drunense Duinen. Biggest natural sanddunes in West Europe and only 10 km away. Beautiful mountainbike route. Haha, without mountains, we dont have them over here. Or you have to count the mountains from garbage.

Stay warm and save over there.

7 Likes

Tom, I live 12 miles NW of Borlänge, Sweden. In a 700 people village called Bäsna.
Still only an inch of snow here, but they say we’ll have our share later this week. Instead it’s been pretty cold for a couple weeks. Lakes are already covered with 6 inches of sturdy ice. If I was younger I would probably already been out drifting around with the car.

5 Likes

Have you ever drifted on the ice with woodgas?

(maybee lm suggesting a video idea here :wink::grin:)

4 Likes

Haha! Not much, but thanks for the video idea Kristijan :grinning: Now that I have a pretty lightweight RWD and no fuel expence it might be possible again. If only I could get younger as well…

5 Likes

Hey @JO_Olsson thought I would reply here
The V8 sounds so good on wood! And I was discussing this with @mggibb yesterday I think the pipes are actually helpful. I have noticed listening to the exhaust I can tell some things. The tone can tell me when I start running out of wood before the temperature in the hopper starts to raise up. I can hear if the gas is weak when it first starts on wood and hear when it gets full power. It’s pretty useful actually

7 Likes

Interesting! Makes perfect sence, as the fuel level gets low hydrogen content decreases so does the flame speed of the gas. So less bang-bang

6 Likes

My mazda got pretty quiet on Char Gas. I only have a resonator and magnaflow muffler so it is a little loud on gasoline. My Sierra has the stock muffler so I might not be able to hear it on charcoal.

2 Likes

Probably the same reason. You might be a bit hydrogen starved

3 Likes

Probably so. Exhaust sounded more like whooshes than pops. I only did one maybe two drop per second and was going on average 45mph so definitely lean on drip.

2 Likes

Wow, yes please!

Marcus already gave me sweating hands with his A team video. I am afraid of heights, so my work is my terapy. On the Croatian coast I climbed a lot of mountains, alone, stupid, I know and there were some sweaty moments. Cool video Marcus, those guys really know what they are doing.

But woodgas on ice? Well, somebody please! Cant be me, no ice overhere.

2 Likes

Sorry, I got carried away watching (and listening) to your video. I forgot all about not commenting in that thread :grimacing:
True, It sure is helpful to be able to listen to the exhaust. At one point I plugged a woodgas outlet under hood on the Rabbit with a tin can. It gave me a similiar experience litening to the intake :grinning:

5 Likes

Thanks for the information. I promise not to try and come and steal any of your stuff. Actually I haven’t even been off the homestead since October 11. I’ve gotten a little agoraphobic in my old age and hardly noticed the lock downs and social distancing when we had it. I just enjoy looking at maps and now I have something specific to look for. This is our first big winter storm. November was surprising mild and we usually get big gales off the lake in that month.

8 Likes

A non-European, a Michigan ex-pat, now a Hoosier-for-Life. Anyway Tom, No snow here. My wife wants a place near Ludington, Michigan area. I told her about your windy-snow problem!
Anyway, Here we are… :grin:

1 mile as crow flies east of Craigville, Indiana, Adams County.
I have a Decatur mailing address. Terrain is pancake flats.
Only one family within shouting distance. Nice people to have as neighbors.

4 Likes

Well fellows here is a Christmas tool list for you to select from and give to yourselves:

Ha! Ha! The real trick was convincing the Wife she needed to buy an oscillator sander for herself . . . . part of a special “package” price. She’s making me use her new cordless hammer drill. She has this morbid fear of rotary power tools.
S.U.

6 Likes

I live in a holler not even a mile away from the church almost half of my ancestors I can track down are buried, near a town notorious for being the location of a battle during the Revolutionary War where only one native Britishman was counted and 6 of my ancestors participated on the Patriot side. Have an 8 acre or so hay field in front of my house and a 100 yard long pond. House is at the edge of the other 30ish acres of woods.

I wish it snowed more often and stayed that way. If we lived an hour further west it would snow easier.

5 Likes

I live a little to myself outside Hörken.
https://www.google.se/maps/place/Kvarnbacksvägen+18,+772+94+Grängesberg/@60.0280765,14.9145028,13.79z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x465d0a2dc4a27e87:0xa269eed72a11df35!2sKvarnbacksvägen+18,+772+94+Grängesberg!3b1!8m2!3d60.0278673!4d14.9187191!3m4!1s0x465d0a2dc4a27e87:0xa269eed72a11df35!8m2!3d60.0278673!4d14.9187191!5m2!1e3!1e4?hl=sv

2 Likes

Yeah we got another few inches last night Mike and with the winds yesterday my road is drifted in and impassible. I’ll have to go out and snowblow the whole half mile to the county road when it gets light out. We have been catching a break the last two years and are down to about 10 ft total for the winter. Our average is 13. Not nearly as bad as Bruce but I’d like a lot less in my golden years. I have an aunt and uncle that summer in Ludington. Not sure if they’re still alive. Haven’t seen them in three years.

3 Likes

I have a morbid fear of being without rotary power tools SteveU.

5 Likes

Whew, this move is overdue! See y’all over here:

2 Likes