Life goes on - Summer 2021

Yes l noticed that ice consumption while visiting US. JO and l had no problems drinking room temp beer while Al F. allmost burned his fingers just holding one of the cans :smile:

9 Likes

Those temps would kill me Steve U. I had a heat stroke in my early twenties and have no tolerance for heat at all. Low 90’s and my head looks like one those cartoon thermometers blowing up. It doesn’t often get that warm here. Maybe a few days every couple of years. The breeze coming off Lake Michigan keeps our temps pretty moderate both summer and winter.

5 Likes

Jan, ice delivery was a common profession until right after WW2 when the fridge was introduced. You’re just too young to remember :smile:

Any too cold fizzy drinks give me painful hickups. Also a slightly warmed up beer is so much more tasty, right? :smile:

4 Likes

Oh and Kristijan! Any Midsummer festivities going on in Slovenia?
Midsummer weekend is the biggest holiday all year here. I just told wife to add more water to the soup. We don’t want our guests to leave hungry :smile:

6 Likes

Went digging and found sand. Then clay, then water/rocks. Normally, we have Trimountain Cobble, so this is an awesome discovery.

7 Likes

A fiend of mine is a good cook but it is funny when he runs low on food the rice or maybe pasta comes out and gets added to the chilli or anything else that it will absorb the flavor and add bulk. He is a trained chief and the first time I saw his wife invite another dozen people over and I asked he he needed me to run to the store he told me he had it covered and grabbed a bag of rice. I just couldn’t stop laughing.

Tom I am much the same passed out walking out of a house in Hershey Pennsylvania when I was a teenage fell down and entire flight of stairs I am told I remember stumbling down them and waking up under a tree. Did almost the same even younger maybe 9 or 10. I was helping my uncle and grandfather split wood and had to walk away because the world was fading to white. I didn’t pass out that time made it to the shade of the barn…
Now I have one of those desert hats with the cloth back to cover your neck and when I feel top hot I take a cold shower to cool off. I definitely wouldn’t want to live in the south give me a nice snow storm anyday I can always put more wood in the stove.

11 Likes

An old friend of mine was born and raised in Germany and he was a little off by our standards…drank Pabst blue ribbon by the case daily and couldn’t catch a buzz to save his life said it was like drinking water to him. He had a barbeque one time and his parents brought a home brew beer from the homeland and set a few bottles on the top rack of the grill to warm them up shocked the crap out of me! But when he handed me one, wooooooooooo! That’s the the most flavorful, deep dark delicious drink I have ever had! He had always told me back home beer is still considered a food not a drink and I finally understood why. That bottle was like a meal in itself. Fantastic!

4 Likes

First saw plum of smoke on way to emergency room . I fell down stairs day before and broke arm .

The Rockton Fire Protection District says the fire that burned for days at the Chemtool plant was accidental.
project was underway on the morning of June 14th to replace insulation on an elevated heat transfer piping network at the facility, which was used to manufacture greases and carried heated mineral oil.

Shortly before 7 a.m. that morning, an employee of an outside contractor was working on that insulation using a scissor lift when an unknown amount of mineral oil was released from the piping. The oil fell to the floor and started pooling.

The fire department says Chemtool operators quickly detected the oil release and shut down the boiler. They were in the process of placing containment booms and de-pressuring the heat transfer piping network when the fire started.

1 Like

My son Brian is in Guntersville, Alabama this weekend with the U12 unlimited hydroplane crew.
1st race they had inside lane but driver cut a corner on 2nd lap and so lost. Will do better tomorrow!
Wish I was there in their 85 deg weather. We hit 98 today and are expecting up to 110 on Monday.

7 Likes

I’m glad my house is usually about 5 or so degrees cooler than said on the heat index thanks to the trees and the pond.
But that is no such case at my work. Giant tarmac parking lot makes it feel 10 degrees hotter or more.

1 Like

I hope your arm break was simple and you are a fast healer HenryB.

Hey MichealG was it 95F yesterday. 107F today, now as I write this. WE expect the 115-17F tomorrow.
The Columbia gorge outflow air compression effect gets us heating a bit more here.
I mowed until 12:00 PM. Been yard trees bushes spot watering in 45 minute sets since.
Heard two Fire department call outs today. One medical. With a LifeFlight call in. The other reported to be full house fire.

Yep 85F dreaming sounds about right to hope for. Just enough. Without the overboard dangers.
Steve unruh

3 Likes

I saw that predicted 115+ for Portland, OR
THat will probably kill some folks and raise the fire danger to EXTREME
Very few have AC, so be careful

3 Likes

Just got up to start my day and I don’t think I need to turn the coffee pot on to make my morning coffee :hot_face: still 89f inside the house and sooooooo humid! It’s that heat that makes you feel sticky when you step out the door

3 Likes

Got rain , Getting more rain . There had been talk of drought . Crops are doing well . Really good to be getting rain .

2 Likes

It’s like that all summer here in Appalachia.
Gotta shower when you wake up and go to bed to rinse the nasty off.

2 Likes

Henry, Do you then live nearby that Chemtool plant that burned? I actually thought you were in a different part of the USA. Hope your arm heals fast and strong! God Bless You!

2 Likes

Mike , I live near Rockton where the chemtool plant was and not near anyplace . Miles and miles of crop land . Had surgery , will set off metal detector . Doing well . Thank You .

6 Likes

This seems more like a life goes on than a beekeeper. So long since I uploaded a video to YT. Its all different now! More random stuff from around the globe for those who like distractions…
https://youtu.be/jTqAbsJXdr0
I didn’t even proof it for watchability! :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

Mike your bees are so gentle. Even after you were so rude to them.
Very nice place where you live. How many of those acres do you have to mow?

3 Likes

It is one of those country places that used to be a family farm. The tillable acres are sold off or kept in the family and leased to a local farmer. The home and buildings are divided up, and what the landowner does not need anymore, they sell to some city dweller like me. I own just under 1 acre myself which includes the house and yard. The beehive is close to the property line. I mow 2 acres, including the old big barnyard that belongs to the landowner. It keeps things looking nice, and he plows snow off my driveway in winter. Win-Win. I keep asking if they will sell me some more land. He always says “what for?” the answer is no, he doesn’t ever sell any farmland. Farmers around here hardly ever sell any new building lots. Farmland is sacred. Long answer to a short question. I have two hives to take care of this year. The one at home, and a show hive at work. Both hives seem gentle, they are from two different but similar genetic lines. The “New World Carniolans” at home are supposed to be from genetics similar to Kristijan’s Slovenian bees, and the ones at work are locally raised mutts with some dark bee lines mixed with who knows. Last year’s Italians from Georgia were no match for the local bad bees who beat the snot out of them. This year’s bees are locally raised. So far, not mean at all, and I have certainly given them the opportunity to let me have it! I almost quit again after last year, But beekeeping sucked me back in!! :joy:

7 Likes