Life goes on - Summer 2021

Looks like they both have the same engine. The ignition is super simple. Not much can go wrong. Its probably a bad coil, a common problem.

Since it seems newer the ignition is probably a magneto. Not much else to it thain a magnetic flywheel and a coil…

2 Likes

I’m thinking of taking the engine to my work and having a coworker take a look at it. He’s a 2 stroke enthusiast like I am.

I’ve been thinking of restarting my Aquaponics idea.
I have a good number of 55 gallon plastic drums that I could cut in half and make into grow beds.
But instead of making my own pond, why not make use of this very healthy ecosystem in my front yard?
Blackberries like to grow on the banks of the pond and there’s very healthy fish in there.
Just pondering a solar powered water pump with flood and drain systems flowing back into the pond. Zero chemical additive.

The pond used to be a creek until my grandfather had it hollowed out into a pond. Fed by a few natural springs and flows out to part of the original creek.
I already have some 12v solar panels that I’m not using, and some batteries for a backup power supply in case of overcast days.
Was thinking of having a water tank out of a 55 gallon drum, fed by a pump, which upon being filled just flushes down into the grow beds that flow back to the pond. Either that or having the tank primed up and filled and then opened to a slow drain to the grow beds, then equipped with U Siphons or Bell Siphons to dump the water back into the pond.

4 Likes

Well the pass few days of summer here has hit over a 100°f . Today it is 105°f on the north side of the house in the shade. Yesterday it was 109°f.
Bob

4 Likes

I just finished writing and Dana ask me if I wanted to go for a walk to the river. The Columbia River water is at 60°f and really refreshing. It made the five minutes of walking home nice and cool.
Bob

7 Likes

It is beautiful before the sun has risen in the mornings.

12 Likes

Here in mid of Europe, summer showed us much more hostile face than at the North.
Tornado destroyed several villages at Moravia

1 Like

Wow, we had something smaller last week.

https://www.google.com/search?q=valwind+leersum&sxsrf=ALeKk024R1IOeAWlS3O1ipwyIkppYLeB0Q:1624616000609&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwij4PKcxrLxAhUJr6QKHfwZCrkQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=969

That is the only thing happening here. not the damage you showed or the hurricanes in America.

Wether is colder now. From the hot to the colder this happens. Not to often in the Netherlands, always the same weather.

That was my first moped, without the shocks behind. Next was a Honda ss50. Now just for fun a Sachs Madass. I think it is produced in China with a Honda clone engine.

4 Likes

Would that perhaps be the same sachs manufacture as sachs dolmar chainsaws? I know there saws are fantastically built 2 strokes. Kind of the odd man out around here for loggers but still respected to run with the best of Stihl, husky, echo and a good run for the old mac’s too

4 Likes

Right now I’m taking my time restoring my uncle’s old Honda Trail 90. Looks like a late 60s model because ut has the leading link fork and not the hydraulic shock fork. Still have the original jumbo sprocket that goes with it.
Original engine is toast, totally locked up and rotted from being left outdoors for decades. Frame is in good shape so I’ll just buy a CT clone engine.
I want to see how a 140cc clone will handle charcoal gas.

4 Likes

Marcus, I thought so, but after looking for parts for the Madass it got clear it is a china product. Very hard to find parts. And it is a four stroke btw, looks the same as the old Honda SS50. Very reliable and fast enough with a 72 cc when you are 16 and think you are immortal.

5 Likes

We deliver ice to a lot of Marinas on several different lakes. One of them we have to cart it out to the end of the dock. They have a few pets.
KIMG0184

KIMG0187

11 Likes

Ice, why no refrigerators?

Hey BobMac and Marcus,
Gonna, be HOT, HOT for sure these next four days parked stuck under this High Pressure bubble. At least three of these days they are saying 105-113F/40-45C with dropping humidity.
It last did this in 2009.
Everything here for us going from full green from just 7 days ago raining and morning wood fires to grasses instant browning. Crunching underfoot.
Be last trim up mowing’s before the July 4th neighbors stupid personal fire works trespassing’s. Only ~40 trees anymore to sweat about. M-a-y-b-y NOW the fire department would hose these to save the newly built houses! We support the fire hydrants of the within 500 feet corners of these remaining strip of trees.

So next 3-4 days . . . . mow a little. Garden hoe a little. Ans water, water, water the garden, berry bushes and yards trees. And of course the wife’s flowers pots.

Escaping the heat night chilled inside then youtube info video watching.

Here’s two:
Episode 20 parts I&II The Malaise Era: The Darkest Hour(s) of the American Automobile Industry

I wait for this Dutch? Belgium? guy to come out with his part III The Coming Of the Light when it was electronics fuel injection and emissions controls that got rid of rats-nest of vacuum lines year-by-year tacked-on just barely compliance systems. And the systems finally matured into the early 90’s. And we got back power, smoothness and flexibility.
Later OBDII adding nothing except complexity and forced compliances IMHO.
S.U.

8 Likes

Saturday will be the lake with the family, Sunday I have planned to hike with friends to a remote shooting range of ours…2 miles uphill, then shooting drills, lots of water! leaving at daylight and goal to be back by noon and find some shade!!

5 Likes

I really love the look of Malaise era cars. Shame they’re getting more expensive or rotting away.

1 Like

I hope i understand your question right. People have refrigerators in there houses and in stores but when out on boats or filling coolers for job sites to keep drinks (beer) cold they usually buy ice. Here almost every store has prepackaged ice in a freezer that can be bought by the bag.
Also something to know about Americans versus most cultures (I don’t Know about Sweden) is that we use ice in almost every drink even if it is refrigerated.

5 Likes

I had my graduation party on the lake last weekend. Have fun.

7 Likes

Thanks Jakob, we have nothing like this as I know was surprised when you sold ice.

1 Like