Life goes on - Summer 2021

KamilK, you and Tone are inspiring.

After 14 days straight of clouds and raining we’ve had two now with sunshine.
My own must-do’s; plus my Wife’s honey-do’s has me worked ragged.
Rain again come tomorrow and on.

Tonight’s reward: Autumn soup-stew.

I got hands wooden spoon rapped, taking this picture. She said she’d not added everything in yet.
( I think she did not want me to see her sneak out her generations passed on magic soup starter rock)
Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Bows to Mrs. Unruh, @SteveUnruh . This looks like something what may force squad of mariners to overtake Kabul again :grinning:

7 Likes

I have had success

Need better then electrical tape to act as governor .
The economizer , emission control "Lambda control system " may be better .
I do not have it installed . The wires are just all over the place .

6 Likes

Got my crosscut saw today. Whoever owned it before had painted the saw so I’ll need to rectify that with some kerosene and a wetstone. Also need to just touch up the teeth a hair. Applied boiled linseed oil to the D handle and the second handle and the wood immediately sucked it up. Sounds like it was someone’s fireplace decoration. At least it doesn’t have any warped or broken teeth.

Now I need to get a spider and gauge to check tooth offset and rake height.

5 Likes

Here are a couple of old pictures from 15 years back . The truck doesn’t blend in very well with the other vehicles.

About a 700 mile round trip . This is Cody’s state NC

11 Likes

This must have been back in your dog training days for law enforcement and tracting.
Bob

3 Likes

Yes Bob .

Training and certifying man’s best friend :smile:

11 Likes

Well I think we know Wayne doesn’t get hassled by the county mountys now! :joy:

4 Likes

Wayne still gets speeding tickets if he isn’t careful. I remember watching a presentation he did on YouTube with some photos of him being pulled over in the slideshow.

Boone is a real nice place. Not far from Tweetsie Railroad.

3 Likes

Just Like in the picture you had a dog zooming in on your arm. I had to zoom in on the picture to find your Wood Gas truck. You might think it was a cage to haul man best friend in the truck bed. Some dogs can ride in the front seat with you. Some need to ride in the back of the truck. The one you are pictured with is a back of the truck rider and bars down the side of the truck to keep it there.
Bob

5 Likes

If these dog handlers was ever faced with the decision of their dog or their Mamma riding in the front seat the dog will win just about every time .

I have had folks wanting to give me a dog , saying it is a mean dog that would do me well in my line of work . Sometime I may have hurt their feeling when I said I will not tolerate a mean dog and don’t want to live by anyone that has a mean dog. If I ever see a dog show it’s teeth or growl at any person including the bad guy I will cull it. I would often challenge folks to see if they could make my dog growl at them or bite. They would do everything they could think of . pull it’s tail , hair stomp around him stare eye to eye and the dog would never show any aggression. I would leave the area and be in the building watching out the window as well. On the other had if you laid one finger on Me the dog would clean your plow and not release until I said.

It is hard to understand but the trained dogs are like professional athletes. It seems like they are trying to kill each other until the whistle blows or the bell rings and shaking hands and hug each other.

The dog in the picture ( Rebel ) was bred by me and owned by Trussville police dept and one of the most gentle dogs I know of . On command of his handler he will release and want to lick me in the face :blush:

12 Likes

I love watching videos of police dogs working, amazing how well they respond to the handler. But favorite part is when they get the command and become a fur missile! Then commanded off and back to tail wag and did I do a good job dad!?!? Happy dopey puppy dance haha

6 Likes

Hmm, worried me about changing the timing belt on the Volvo, but in the morning it was done, just as worried every time.

7 Likes

Is that Volvo an interference engine? I never understood why that was a good idea. One of my sons had a hyundai with an interference engine and when the timing belt broke that was all she wrote for that engine. I’m a fan of timing chains.

2 Likes

Yes, if the timing belt comes off, the engine runs out, quite easy to make mistakes too, I have succeeded on 2 engines in the same car.

3 Likes

That reminds me I should replace my water pump and timing belt on the Mazda just to be safe. I don’t know when the former one was installed but I’d just like to know personally when it was replaced. I’ve always heard with Volkswagens you want to replace every 60 thousand miles or 96 thousand kilometers, not sure if that only applied to the older ones or if that’s still a good rule of thumb for any timing belt.

Edit: Just looked it up, I originally thought this was an interference engine but thank God above that it apparently isn’t. You’d think a SOHC timing belted japanese engine would be Interference but I’m glad Mazda designed it otherwise. Probably why that series lasted so long. When Mazda got tired of those i4s they sold them to Kia for the old model Sportage.

3 Likes

I would say timing chains too TomH . . . . . until you get into the long chain double overhead cams systems.
My first overhead cam owned was a 1967 BMW 1600. Long chain. Did a full teardown and shade-tree (literally) overhaul restore on it. I really, really should have replaced those grooves worn guides. Interference engine for sure. So were the same years Fiat belt drive OHC’s Fiat 124’s. Interference. 30K mile early belts.
Why? High rpm horsepower performances for sure. Emission’s GOD not yet a factor for them.
Much later, late 1990’s and early 2000 even the base form economy engines it was for lowest produced emissions. Interferences
Same-same with the earlies 200o’s adopted low-tension piston rings. The top ring moved up dangerously, low-life up on the piston. Lowered produced HC’s emissions.
By the way Toyota engines, stayed with non-interference engines later produce than any other.

Used vehicle with long chain timing the previous owner/owners had better keep up with short mileage oil changes.
X2 the $'s to do a worn out long chain systems versus a long belt driven OHC systems.
Even if the belt driven system owners had NOT done oil changes and all of the shaft seals are hardened, some cracking and leaking. And need to be in-place pried out and replaced. Still cheaper to do a belt system.

Ha! I have both into high miles. I change my oils a lot so have never had to do personal chains, sprockets, guides and oil/ratcheting tensioner; changing out since that BMW.
But like JanA; I did do the timing belt types changing outs. Before a problem. Interference or, non-interference engines. Still a tow back home. “Was running fine until it suddenly quit.”
S.U.

6 Likes

I have never worked on anything that didn’t have push rods and a little loop under a timing cover Steve. Never want to. I saw the other day an article on the new Corvette engine. Two cams per head. I didn’t notice what spun the cams, belt or chain. Just looking at the exploded view made my head swim. Way out of my pay grade.

2 Likes

Ha! Ha! Then you be saying you prefer a low cam chain drive over a gear-drive-set up, eh.
That’s diesel-man talk.
S.U.

4 Likes

Sure. If it says small block chevy or big block chevy with a gear driven distributor then you can call it whatever you like. All the dinosaurs are not extinct. Before I’m dead I’d like to do a Ford flat head just because I’ve looked at them all my life but never opened one up.

3 Likes