Life goes on - Summer 2021

I’d also like to see any of the Ford flat heat engines

Or any old flat head. Small Engine Man’s dream engine. Only problem is the Model Ts splash lubrication is a killer with the hills you get around here.

2 Likes

Another thing I discovered about my little 80hp when new engine is that it makes Peak torque at 2500 RPM.

Peak power is all the way at 5000 RPM, end of the world is 6000.

Mazda also sold the old 2 liter FE engines for forklifts, I’m assuming they used LPG.

5 Likes

Haa, pushrods? I only found out when I registered here that they still exist. Very nice for repair but I thought that they were all replaced by single or double overhead camshafts…Still a lot to learn. In my opinion a car needs a chain, it runs forever. Everything can brake but the chain is still ok. Mercedes or BMW, it runs forever.

3 Likes

So did l. Turns out my Škoda is also a pushroder. Great for when l will grind the head down! Way easyer dissasembly

5 Likes

Skoda? Didnt know. I found out the Kubota is one too. Changing headgasket is not a big job. I like it. Bad for performance, easy on maintanance.

3 Likes

Is grinding that head something you are going to do yourself or go to a machine shop. If yourself, please do videos. I really want to see that.

GM stayed with pushrods in the LS and LT engines. Plenty of power potential and reasonably low cost unlike the Ford OHC coyotes which definitely do not outperform the LS. By the way, LT corvette engines came stock with 11.5 to 1 compression and no problem running premium pump gas.

5 Likes

Yes I agree with this American/Canadian/Australian perspective too.
80’s, 90’s, 2000’s side by side everyday running of modern overhead valve pushrod engines, versus multiple valve’ed/multiple cam’ed engines says, “I can match you any day of the week for working performances.” “And last longer in service with less needed repairs.”

Again the original thinking of overhead camming was to allow for more head side space for intake and exhaust ports without having to squeeze in for push rod space.
Was true a bit for naturally asperated systems. Boosted charge engines this is not true at all.
Overhead camshafts create many problems. Camshafts and the in contact follower/lifter must be superior, priority oiled. Lots and lots of pressurized flow supplied. Camshafts at speed fling around a lot of oil spray.
Cold starting up the OHC’s are the last place to get pressurized oil. Bit of wear every cold warming up cycle. The oil pump must be oversized in comparison to even be able with later internal wear always supply the far distance camshaft. Takes engine power to be pumping all of that extra oil flow.
The valve stems decades proven only really need a tiny bit of oil misted then get literally oil drowned in overhead camshaft engines. So the passages drain back down on an OHC engine have to be large, many, and numerous. Kinnda’ negates the space freed up by no pushrods.
The worst behind the valve head burnt oil buildups flow blocking engines I’ve had to work on were overhead cam engines. Once the valve stems seals go . . . .

And it is not like as TomH said we did not design, try these concurrently. Early/mid 1960’s Kaiser Jeep, and GM’s Pontiac division did make their own design OHC inline 6’s. No advantages in road vehicles. More expensive to manufacture. Shorter life between needed services. Services more expensive. Then in the early 90’s Oldsmobile with their DOHC Aurora V-6’s. The same era corporate pushrod evolved Buick V-6’s are the one still out their running at hundreds of thousands of miles.
Ford and Chrysler/Dodge early-on 1970’s went with single OHC fours as their base engines. O.K. GM/Chevy went with a camshaft high-in-block, short push rod engine system. Their 2.2L’s. Fine too. Much easier to service. Needed less servicing.
Cadillac: same, same. You will see the previous pushrod V-6’s; V-8’s kept on the road running long after the Northstars DOHC multi-valve are sideline, parked. Few to none wanting to $'s pay out to keep them running.

Back again, WHY overhead camshafts? Originally bragging rights, “We did it.” Then others, “We can too”. Never forget that it is sex that sells the most vehicles new. Engineers have pride. Want to brag. Marketing/Sales departments demanding anything woo-woo new to promote seduce with.
Then later mid-1990’s and on the manufacturers could seen the day they would need to have active variable camshaft timing to be able meet the Emissions GODs future never ceasing demands.
Ha! I’m just very respectful Chevy/GM and Ram/Dodge have been able to make cam-in-block; pushrod; two-valve engines still competitive in everyday use.
Toyota will be discontinuing manufacturing their super reliable DOHC V-8’s. Great engines. Use just as much fuel truly loaded down working as the push rod V-8’s.
My proofs to my opinions.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Tom, not sure yet. Im fairly sure l can do it my self but will require some elbow grease. Will see.

6 Likes

Thanks Mr Steve. One of my first cars was a Fiat Ritmo 130 TC, 2 liter, dohc with two double solex carburetors. Year 1986. Very fast at that time, only a Honda CRX VTech was faster, the CRX 8 valve not.
And then I think of my adventures with the G-klasse, from year 1979, changed the old engine from a W124 3 lt-12valve turbo. Is has a dohc also.The W124 was from 1986 if I remember right. And nowadays? All the big brands are back to pushrods? I can understand it is braging and service is getting more important now.
Well no, we had a Volvo 850 2.4 20V also. Bought it when it was 15 years old for tax reasons. OHC also. Compared to pushrods a pain to work on, I can see that now.

3 Likes

Aaah, its sourkraut packing time. Been fermenting for a month, now its redy to be put in to jars for storage.

Luckly, our kids love the stuff. Even our 7 month old!

14 Likes

Your children are growing up so fast. It is wonderful they are not eating at McDonald’s like most American kids do. Healthy children are a Blessing. Good Job Mom and Dad.
Bob

6 Likes

Sauerkraut is good for the gut.

Funny how we already knew this, then people say “oh that’s a wives-tale there’s no way fermented food can be good for you”
Now “food scientists” have determined that yes fermented food is good for your “gut biome”. They love using new terminology and jargon.

5 Likes

Bob, l culdnt agree more. I have never been more proud in my life thain once that my kids chose apples over candy when both were offered to them. Specialy since l know a couple of same age todlers adicted to sugar at a wery young age. Sad. But it sure takes a lot of effort to show a child the right path in those troubled times…

Cody, sauercrout is and has beed a superfood for centuries, no dubt about it. It saved sailors lives, heck, you guys may not even live in the US right now if it werent for it.
Not so long ago sourcraut was a staple winter food in this region. I mean sourcrout for breakfast, lunch and dinner, paired with potatoes, beans and a few pork skin cracklings. And whats most interesting, people didnt complain about it. Same today. If anything, l can barely wait sourcraut season and ususly have it in one meal a day.

9 Likes

My area was settled half by the germanics(Moravians, Rhinelanders, and Swiss) and half by the Scots and Irish. We actually still hold a New Years Shooting on the morning of New Years Day. Firing off black powder rifles and muskets to scare away the ghosts and bad luck. They used to do the beginning speech in high German but we’ve moved to English. Still recited in the same cadence and tone but translated.

Here’s a little video about it.
https://youtu.be/QY8Iq81-oQI

Us Irish brought our liquor making skills and Germans brought their delicious food recipes and fancy barns.

5 Likes

Never knew or thought about the oiling issues with those OHC engines SteveU. You are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the schooling. I just like the old school engines because they look just like the Visible V-8 that I got for Christmas when I was 10 years old and tore apart and reassembled a couple hundred times.

6 Likes

Time to get dressed.

7 Likes

Oh nooo!!! I will have nightmares now!

7 Likes

We are forecast to get Snow on Wednesday in Wenatchee area and I am still not ready for the snow. Just barely 40 °F or 4.4 °C today.
Bob

5 Likes

Thanks for the ride Bobmac, I really like the sound of the dakota engine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video Bob. David looks like he is having fun .

2 Likes