Life goes on - Summer 2022

When I store potatoes I keep them on an old window screen not touching each other. Same for sweet potatoes and yams.

2 Likes

Hi Cody, how cool do they have to be, too store them on a screen, and how long last, per temp.

2 Likes

I kept sweet potatoes in my shop for almost a whole year, was just out of the sunlight.

Though sweet potatoes actually cure in the heat and makes them sweeter. Biggest thing is moisture and airflow.

1 Like

Some sprinkle potatoes with lime here to kill off pathogenes. Its also supposed to retard sprouting.

I think athmosphere is everithing. In my old celar, they wuld last till new harvest. Same with apples.

8 Likes

This year I had little to no troubles with leaf mold. Most probably because colorado beetles eat my leafs before leaf mold appear :rofl:

7 Likes

From what Iā€™m taught, the longer you keep potatoes in the ground the firmer the skin and better they last. Up here that means September-October.

6 Likes

I know someone who stores their potatoes by burying a tub from an old washing machine in the ground and filling it with potatoes and then covering it. Of course they live in Kentucky so not a lot of ground frost but filling around the outside of the tub with straw and over it would prevent frost. One reason I dislike planting in the ground is itā€™s easy to miss a lot of them. I have many volunteer potatoes that came up in one of my tomato beds. Not a good companion plant. John Seymour in his book, the self sufficient life and how to live it, describes an old time way of storing potatoes in the ground. As long as they donā€™t freeze they keep very well there. Iā€™m not a potato expert but I play one on TV.

Since I donā€™t have anyplace else appropriate to put this, if anyone has any interest in the Tesla files the U.S. kept on him they have been released through the freedom of information act. Still pretty redacted.
https://vault.fbi.gov/nikola-tesla

3 Likes

I have 2 of Sejmoureā€™s books, I think they are good, but the oldest is the best.
@JO_Olsson what about the covid did you get really sick?

3 Likes

Thanks gentlemen for all the farming lalated replys, about storing potatos, and apples. Thats a long storage life for like a celor temps/ air flow ect.

2 Likes

Jan, I have a slight fever and and soar throat and chest. Not too bad. 5th day today.
We donā€™t get much done though. Wifeā€™s about the same. She even started two days earlier.

3 Likes

Giorgio, not sure of the make but it sure is old, like yours.

I will be rebuilding all those machines for the next harvest. Threshing without the table is scarry as hell. If your arm gets pulled in there im sure it will get ripped right off and minced in the process. Im glad thats over, next time im making it propperly.

6 Likes

Visited my birthplace yesterday after a long time. Unfortunaly it was bitter sweet as l had a funeral to atend, but we decided to make the best of it. Showed my family where l used to live.

And today, lm showing them what we used to eat! This is a traditional stew made out of old mutton and potatoes. The strong taste of mutton is balanced with local Alpine aromatics, but the main one l cant find the English term for. Might be Savory?

10 Likes

hi jan ola, dont worry about it ā€œcovidā€ is only a middle heavy kind of influenceā€¦but the companies have had made a lot of money for the vaxā€¦and the governments steps forward to opress the peopleā€¦every vax makes the naturally immunity system weaker and more often one get sick
all the best , my son and wife have had it in the beginning with the aggressive variety, they threated with cold water showers every hour and helps, the slime in the loung goes away-comes out, also from the nose, also the feaver goes downā€¦
ciao giorgio

7 Likes

Thank you Giorgio.
Iā€™m on my back on the porch couch reading and having an ice-cream now and then. No complaints :smile:

9 Likes

Prayers to anyone who is suffering from Covid. Call on the Yehovah God the Father in His Words Name Yesuha for healing. I am living prove He heals.
Bob

3 Likes

JO sorry to hear you got the covid! I never get shots for the flue. Got it one year and that year I got it. I see oh Biden has gotten all the shots and booster and he is quarantined for his second relapse after initially getting it.
Surprised to hear you guys talk about the ā€œtransparent summer applesā€ I thought that those were a secret that we keep up here in Wisconsin. Love them. As you have said, they produce everyother year and no matter when the tree was planted they are all on the same schedule. Not saying that we are in a drought, but we havenā€™t had any rain for a month and I fear this is going to hurt out output of these apples. Right now they are falling off the tree at 5 gal. a day. My wife usually makes cinnamon apples sauce out of them to the tune of over 50 quarts when we do get a crop. I have eaten all that we put away, so I am very concerned about how this years crop is going to turn out. TomC

10 Likes

My prayers are for your safe return too good health, I said quite a few while i was feeling the crazy flue coved, strange short of breath feeling and slower recovery than most flue i ever had, mine was 2 months before they anounced it was coved floating around.

3 Likes

Tom i agree, The worst swine like flue i ever got was just after my one and only flue shot, never had a flue shot in 30 some years maybe 40 years since.

5 Likes

Interesting about the flu shots.
The only flu shot and a month later got a severe flu was about 30 years ago.

I have had the 4 Covid shots and had no reaction although my wife was down for 2 days after the last 2 shots

2 Likes

Hey Kristijan, Tone, what happened in your country?

I am used to something, but what is this? Legalisation next level?
They have beer too

3 Likes