Life goes on - Summer 2022

How long before the video of you saddle breaking him? Or is that the project the girls are working on? :rofl:

6 Likes

Horses
I grew up with them. I first rode at two, then rode my own at 4yrs old. I know their psychology. They can be tamed. They are brats, and will cheerfully tear up flower beds. I used to “fix” rescue Tennessee Walking horses. I would walk around the pasture fixing the fences, with apples and carrot in my pockets. Even the most abused horse will curiously approach you, if they smell those treats. Sometimes it would take weeks before I could throw an arm over the withers. Currying and scratching was always appreciated too. Sometimes, just standing and talking nonsense in a low voice to them, gets through to them. They sense fear. It’s hard to project confidence, but not fear or anger when dealing with them.
There are always rocks. If nothing else, horses have a deep respect for us rock throwing primates. When I was four, I could scatter our herd if they were charging towards me, by the mere act of reaching down to grab a rock. They knew I would aim for the head, and they didn’t like it. Man! Was I a little sh!t.

7 Likes

The fun part is a unbroken turd that knows you are fearless, then sees you as a challenge. How far can i push this human? It was hard work but rewarding i enjoyed it

Another productive day with my oldest on the lake, he caught his personal best yellow perch probably the biggest i have ever seen! Typicall 5-8" around here, THIS TANKER TICKLED 14". Coconut crusted fried perch and bluegill fillets for lunch and not a crumb was left

11 Likes

Steve, to some people WE ARE the creepy weird neighbors.

9 Likes

What do you do with the pumpkins, I also grew pumpkins this year, but don’t know what to use them for, Halloween?

2 Likes

not that I am Goran. :slight_smile:

We use ours for halloween, but it is more popular in the states and they can sell for 5+ dollars. Supposedly the larger ones aren’t good for pumpkin pie because it isn’t as sweet, because pumpkin filling is cheap, it is easier to just buy a can for consistent results and the recipe is on the back. but the canned stuff is more squash then pumpkin so go figure.

They are in the squash family so you can cook them and eat them.

And roasted pumkin seeds are delicious. and just fyi dogs will eat pumpkin guts. Other assorted wildlife like deer also eat them. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is halloween big there? I thought it was mostly a US thing.

3 Likes

Yes Jan, it becomes halloween pumpkin lanterns/faces, our nieces and nephews like to carve them, (i like it too :blush:), some goes to friends/relatives/neighbours.
I grow them most for fun anyway, but when you see the price on them in some cities, 10-20$ each!
One recipe we tried is: falsk ostkaka, tastes pretty good actually, but one of these pumpkins is probably enough for 100 “falska ostkakor”!
Sorry i cant translate “falsk ostkaka” it should be: fake cheesecake, but it’s not a cheesecake

Edit: for wildlife, wild boar loves them.

5 Likes

Hi Sean, as for halloween, the “sales industry” has tried to adapt us to halloween, some years it has been a big thing, others not, but many carves pumpkins and place on the porch, and there are many halloween theme parties around. I even noticed Sweden have their own “seasonal halloween/horror warehouse”.
And roasted pumpkin seeds, with some salt, mmmmm :smiley:

5 Likes

These are what I grow. About the size of a large Acorn squash. Can be used the same. Puree’d or baked with spices and maple syrup. High in nutritional and low in calories. Good to add to your dogs diet.

3 Likes

ok, why did my corn turn out like this?

4 Likes

Probably not enough pollination. Corn pollinates from the wind, the tags have to blow pollen on the silk from the ears.

4 Likes

My corn looks the same, every of them tails hanging out have to be pollinated, one for each kernel.
I’ve always planted corn in a row, due to my garden planning, people tells me everytime YOU MUST plant corn in a square, if you dont, you get not enough pollinating, this is first year i’ve planted in a square, and the baddest corn harvest?

6 Likes

I plant my corn in rows, 3 foot spacing between rows. This is for potential drought reasons so the stalks won’t compete for rainwater. In each row they’re fairly close to each other maybe 6 inches apart.

2 Likes

If you had a constant prevailing wind on the pollen releasing days it can blow the pollen horizontally away.
On a dry day, little wind you can see the pollen release clouds with the least disturbances. They must settle down onto the silks ends.
Help them to do this in small, planted patches or rows.
Go gently shake the stocks on a windless, dry time of the day. Releases the pollen to gently float down.
If you find yourself nose stuffing up, wear a filter mask.

The horticulturists have large craft paper bags they use for this. Some to try and keep the pollen contained to just that patch.

Pumpkins when modest sized here can be kept stored for up to six months. An excellent though the winter carbohydrate source. With lots of trace nutrients side benefits.
(I think eating pumpkins will help stave off a coming-down cold. My nurse wife strongly disagrees.)

Regards
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

We got a rich tradition with pumpkins here. Mainly we comercialy grow hulless ones for pressing pumpkin oil, and normal seed pumpkins to be roasted as a snack when visiting each others wine cellars in winter :smile: the flesh is traditionaly fed to pigs. For dishes, we grow them extra. The more sweet, starchy worietys.

6 Likes

Thanks for the tip Steve.
I also planted in a square, 60cm (24") between each according to the book, but will try planting closer next year.

5 Likes

After having corn blown down in storms a few years I started planting in 4’ X8’ blocks. I plant about 10 inches apart both ways. Then I put T-posts around the block and run a couple rows of bailing twine around them. That keeps the corn upright even in a storm. Of course this is just for sweet corn for eating and some drying. The spacing does require extra applications of fertilizer and plenty of water.

8 Likes

There is pumkin pie with wiping cream on top, one of my all time favoites.
Bob

6 Likes

Yes, i usually help the nature/corn a little bit, using a feather-duster, i don’t think it do any harm anyway?

3 Likes

Incomplete pollination. A lot of times it is caused by heat stress, not enough water or high winds during the pollination week.

It could also be caused not planting close enough, but optimum plant spacing is 38-40" rows with the corn no closer then 6" in the rows. That is for the largest most filled out ears, You can squeeze the spacing down, but the plants are starting to fight for sunlight and nutrients so you end up with more shelled corn with a tighter spacing because two smaller eats produces more then one big ear.

The other thing that can affect the nutrient and water uptake are things like cutworm/rootworms, that cuts the roots and there are ‘silk clipping’ insects like japanese beetle or the beetle form of the rootworms
https://blog.umd.edu/agronomynews/2020/08/07/in-dry-weather-watch-for-silk-clipping-insects-in-corn/

It reminds me of corn that has been self-pollinated for a number of years.

2 Likes