Life goes on - Summer 2023

We do not miss the water bill from our previous residence, though I don’t think our cost was up to Steve’s level. We now irrigate with gravity-fed ditch water, but the new challenge was what to do with 13 psi pressure at the house, and a bit more at the garden and fields. The blessing for us was finding sprinklers that would throw 20+ feet on that 13 psi:
Wobbler
Not trying to endorse the seller, but they show a chart toward the bottom of the page that shows flow and distance with pressure. Nice droplet formation, so not too much water loss, and pretty even coverage. Cheap,too, compared to a lot of options.
Kent
edit: Forgot to mention, only one moving part, no bushing. Downside: you can’t sneak up behind them and stay dry, like you can an impulse sprinkler.

8 Likes

First batch harvest at bigger tomato field

The old scale say its 33 kg

18 Likes

That is BEAUTIFUL tomatos Kamil :+1:
I only have one tomato plant this year, and it looks really sad in camparison

:crazy_face:

8 Likes

Give me an address and shipping company and I will share a box with you.

Second turn today bring the box with another 10 kg of red gold from the backyard garden. If nothing gonna wrong, I could have 300kg harvest overall.

10 Likes

That would be real nice. I am doing my best. Working hard on the 75%. Dont want to share my experience today. :grinning: :slightly_frowning_face: Have to think it over. It might be a total disaster but maybe I learned some. :grinning:

5 Likes

@KKubu

Speaking of blight and since tomatoes are relatives to potatoes it seems like wood vinegar as a very diluted foliage spray (in the second link) would work.
This might be very obvious for you dow veterans but it was new to me although I have read something about it in another thread here on dow but I can’t recall which one, was it you Kristijan that wrote about that perhaps?

I thought I’d post it anyway since that season is upon us or soon to come depending on where you live.

3 Likes

Cheap and easily made treatment for fungal diseases

4 Likes

Who invented this sensor?

I bet you think it was Ford, maybe GM, how about Chrysler, No? then how about Mercedes Benz, or possibly one of the Italian car manufacturer s?

No. It was a Japanese farmer.

His invention was simple and effective.

It emits a high-pitch squeal before the vehicle backs into something.

18 Likes

Who sez you can’t predict the future?

7 Likes

Hey TomH.
before I touch a an unknown Twitter link (or any other) I need a bit of context what I’m getting into.
I like you man.
But I am a Verify kinda guy. Trust is an earned thing. Each and every circumtances.
S.U.

7 Likes

Just a meme with a relevant quote from George Orwell but I understand. I’ve been surveilled since I lived in a commune in 70-71. I hope I have bored them to death.

10 Likes

A baby pheobe that was hatched under the deck. It still wants to be fed. I didn’t think they ate worms but i broke one in half and it took it from my hand. I’m not sure why it didn’t fly away.

16 Likes

One more summer and one more Classic Car week in Dalarna. Vids are starting to pop up on YT.

8 Likes

O.K. TomH., I see it now.
You know recently on a YouTube comment post I recommended the fellow read/go-back and re-read R.H. Heinlein’s “The Enough for Love”, and Ayn Rands “Atlas Shrugged” for way back’s predicted coming true as he now warns of.
The not so funny thing is they; and others, like George Orwell in their nightmares did not expect the grown-from-the-hand of the now must-have personal seeing-all personal cell phones.
1990’s Blackberry “crack-berrys” users being messages herking-jurked-around showed the near future.
And only one single S.F. short story did postulate a whole planet evolved down to just one teenage boy and one teenage girl hundreds of years old, maturity locked-in electronically battling each other as the enemy. It was written in the arcade-games addicted heyday. Which evolved off the pin-ball wizardry days.

You, I, others here can still remember a world of limited corded telephones. Written letters. Post cards. Coin pay phones that did actually work. Story book quaint to anyone born after, say 1990 going forwards.

I pay More-for-Less with still designed limited flip phones.
Sunbeam models:

and few other do cater to such as me.

We are long evolved past a beginner fibby agent doing annual what’ch’a’doing knock and talk checks.

scofflaw S.U.

11 Likes

That is a wonderful Show JO. I guess Swedes must of bought up all the available 57 chevys. I think I have seen that black and silver 56 on a different car video you posted last year. Perfect car. How did they all get there? I saw a couple Desoto’s. That would be rare even here. Thank you for posting this. Made my morning.

I begrudgingly admit that the Web is a excellent tool Steve. None of us would be aware of one another without it, however that’s the extent of my admiration. Even those of us that are mostly self taught in various fields of en devour manage to live full lives without PC’s and even before answering machines I got all the messages I really needed. Pretty sure if someone wanted to reach me they could most any evening. The switch from analog to digital in everything was strictly to increase the ability to further control information. Now you have no idea of the actuality of what you are looking at. Anything can be easily cut and pasted. Also, most of us are in denial, but Wi-Fi and other electro-smog are slowly breaking us down. Yeah, yeah, tin foil hat alert.

Funny that you mentioned Heinlein. We called the commune I was involved with “Strangeland” after the Heinlein book Stranger in a strange land. At that time,as now, we were convinced that a nuclear war was going to destroy the civilized world and we were making plans to buy up a parcel of land in the Central Highlands of Brazil and move there. I won’t go into how we were financing this fantasy, wink wink. Probably would have ended up like Jim Jones and the wack jobs in Guyana. Anyway one of the members inherited a farm somewhere in Ontario and the tribe decided to go that route. I separated and as always happens, within a few years control conflicts broke it all down. Same as with every other utopian idiocy.

11 Likes

Many Swedish enthusiasts vacuum the non-rustbelt US regions for old am cars. This has been the case as long as I can remember. Last time I heard (prior to covid), shipping them over here cost something like $8,000. Not my cup of tea :smile:

12 Likes

Many of the sci-fi novels and movies of yesteryear are way off the mark, but some are spot on. Sheeple are flocking to get their retinal scans with OpenA!'s new technology:

Reminds me of the film Minority Report with Tom Cruise. Then there are the people who can’t wait to get an rfid chip implant so they don’t have to reach into their pocket for change to pay for a coffee. I can’t believe people don’t recognize the inherent danger in this. A few decades ago I read that a spy expert revealed that the best way to spy on people was through their credit card purchases. You could know what they were doing and when and where. The current technology is all that on steroids.

Soon the government will do away with cash and make digital currency mandatory. That means they can control what you buy. They can also put an expiration date on your money. So soon we could have global surveillance and control unless people reject this tech now. But that doesn’t appear to be happening.

I too was/am afraid of nuclear war. I think the West is sleep walking into that conflagration with the current situation in Ukraine. Maybe the world needs a good cleansing. Unfortunately, while stopping the surveillance state it would make large swathes of the planet uninhabitable.

Or, maybe I’m the one wearing the tin foil hat. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

11 Likes

The Japanese have a penchant for buying up all the old American chopper bikes. Anything that’s Shovelhead and older, and has been customized, they want it.

7 Likes

They were and probably still are buying up all the collectable guitars as well like the Gibson and Fenders.

4 Likes

Yes. Swedes able to find some of the rarest USA American iron I have ever seen (in my 60 plus years on Earth), yet, you can’t find a decent old Volvo for sale anywhere around here… I know it’s a rich man’s hobby, many hobbies going that route. There is this junker old Chevy pickup for sale nearby, and they want WAYY too much cash for it. It sits waiting… Thanks, J.O.! :cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes