Life goes on - Summer 2023

Cab is perfect, the whole nose is trashed. I have a parts truck out back another f550 7.3 diesel but a automatic, floor boards are completley different and all different options. In these years ford pretty much made each truck one of a kind so only basic bolt on parts are interchangable. I have done a 6 speed conversion on a 2005 before and it was a royal pain to refit the floor correctly over the manual trans and convert the firewall to take a mastercylinder for the clutch, more work then its worth so i plan to keep this cab and drill out all the spot welds and pull the nose assembly off the parts truck to make this cab complete again, then utilize the parts trucks frame and axles. This one the front axle took a hard hit broke the leaf springs sheared the spring pins off forced the axle back into the cab tweaked the trac bar mount jammed the steering box bent both framerails about 5 inches to the right, jacked the center cross member far enough to blow a hole in the oil pan. Even with fords integrated crash/crumple zone i dont see this frame as saveable unfortunately so its full chassis swap. Damn big project really

11 Likes

mowing lawn. I got the elderberry cuttings planted in containers but I need to mow back an area to plant them.

6 Likes

I know where there is a bunch of wild elderberry trees growing, didnt know you could transplant them. Just vaguely remember my mom making some sort of jam with them?

6 Likes

Actually they supposedly grow really easy from cuttings. You are supposed to take them in the winter, but I got a couple to start in the fall. I need to start a couple this spring as well. I ordered these off etsy, and they started getting leaves already. There are both determinate and indeterminate types. And I wanted to make sure I had determinate because otherwise the berries don’t ripen on the head at the same time. and you are picking the poisonous unripe berries. (which float so they are easier to pick out, but still more of a pain then it is worth.)

chances are you have the cool blue elderberries. Which I tried to start from seed last year but it didn’t work. I was supposed to freeze them one or two times to get them to germinate. They are tough to grow from seed.

They also have bigger berries if they are cross pollinated by another variety. so if you grow them get cuttings from a couple of different places.

6 Likes

Well guys it has fallen into the no wood stove needed 50% of the mornings now.
I actually get a little bit wood and charcoal burning stupid now for a few months. Only daily using seems to keep a fellow smart and sharp.

Instead I now get a lot of practice with air condensing and ground rising visible moistures points with every ~10F daily ambient changes. Ha! Woodfuel hopper, monerator and cooling rails conditions!
50F (10C) air this sunrise. Air too moisture mists thick to photograph.
An hour later the air sun warmed to 60F (~15C) and the visible moisture mists are air absorbed and photoing is possible:

Two hours later the air temp is at 70F (21C); and then the air appears perfectly clear.
Yet the same weight of air moisture exists.

Fellows near oceans, seas, large lakes, swamps or in the windward mountains get to wetted skin level experience this a lot annual.
I only have maybe 10 days a year with it all not becoming dew-downed wetted by early mornings.

Reading recently sounds like @d100f Dave and Brian in the Oz mountains and @Marty in South American have this same.

Do live where you can Observe, Observe, Observe to learn.
Regards
Steve Unruh

10 Likes

Temp is rising fast again Steve, getting hot in the shop already and sun has not yet reached the metal door that super heats and radiats the fire temps

I guess for nascar and permanent left hand turns this frame woukd be ok :rofl:

13 Likes

Road trip today, wife and i visited the part of Sweden where “the 3 J:s” live (JO, Jan, and Johan) sorry guy’s, no time to pay you a visit :slightly_frowning_face:

Today we celebrated 15 years as married, wife had planned a trip to visit Falu copper mine, Falun. The mine hasn’t been exploited since 1992, but is open as a tourist attraction, was a wonderful day, interesting to visit one of Swedens oldest mines (around 1000 years).

Thanks to my wonderful wife :smiling_face:

Big hole in the ground!

Underground tour.

Well, last time i visited Dalarna was on wood, this on gasoline, hope next trip will be on wood too, visit some fellow woodgassers :smiley:

20 Likes

Wanting to visit a copper mine on your anniversary, your wife is a keeper! :wink: Mine would want to go to some dumb restaurant. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Hi Steve I just love the weather conditions in the pictures. I can hardy went to get over on the westside at the ocean hopefully
soon.

9 Likes

And it looks like nice country setting in the back ground- are there mountains out by you. It seems like a slow start to warmer weather this year in my area of michigan. They sure are getting record heat waves in many parts of the south though. 54-f and breezy today allso over this way.

6 Likes

It’s a little chilly here but the wood stove is put to bed now until October. Only 59F in the house but I have warm stuff to wear. End of wood heating is always avidly looked forward to. I only have about a cord left. I have to get cutting before all the ferns and wild raspberries make it too hard to work. Didn’t do spring cutting last year which is why I have so little still stored.

9 Likes

Luckily i have about enough wood for next year because i seem to run out of money in early spring when i should be getting more wood stacked so it has more time to dry- i got three vehicles to put plated on this month- property taxes last month and again in july- and i have my trailer loaded with about 65 tires that are three bucks each too get rid of at invirmental rubber in flint michigan- plus fuel in my 3500 chevy 8 mpg 60 miles. I agree i shut my wood burner off last week or two ago- my electric heater- heats my sleeping area- at about extra 20 bucks or so a month till it gets back to summer times again. ITS a bit of a cool variety some years cooler than liking- we got a pretty good spring rains though.

6 Likes

It sure would be weird if your wife wished to visit woodgassers she had never met before for your anniversary so that is perfectly understandable :blush:
And as Martin said, she’s a keeper.
It is a nice experience going down the mine and you gave me an idea for our anniversaries too, my wife rarely wants to go anywhere for anything and she thinks restaurants is pretty much a waste of money, same thing goes for flowers unless its plants that we can have in the garden (I guess we like home too much) but perhaps making a daytrip to look at something would be something for us too :+1: :+1:

9 Likes

It looks as a beautiful day in the making there Steve :smiley:

The steering wheel is missing, otherwise I can’t see anything wrong with it :rofl:

9 Likes

Bummer. With a bit of luck - if you went through BorlÀnge on your way home from Falun - you could have spotted an old Volvo with a steaming pot in the trunk. Johan and I were on our way home from work around 5.
I definately think we all should arrange some kind of meetup this summer.

8 Likes

Thought for the day.

9 Likes

Yes, it had been, im happy enough she can stand me when talking woodgas and stuff

As you say im blessed too with a wife that prefer a picnic basket instead of a restaurant, and gets more happy about a bunch of “Lily of the valley” i pick on the way home from work (or living plants) :smiley:
As for a short trip i can recomend the old fire-watch-tower at Kullen, north-west of Ludvika, if you don’t visited already, what wonderful wiew :open_mouth: :smiley:
(Ofcourse you’re living in that beautiful landscape already)

9 Likes

Yes, we went through BorlÀnge on our way home, 16.30 :roll_eyes:
But you should know i really got my eyes open all the time if i should spot a woodgas vehicle of any sort.
Could have give you something to wondering about: who the 
 was that madman, hanging out the window, wawing like crazy? :crazy_face: :smiley:
 an ordinary woodgas supporter?

10 Likes

@Norman89 , I’m not quite in as deep as you, but I decided to pull the front fenders to make it easier to weld in the new rockers and cab corners. Glad I did as there was some rust starting in some of the crevices that needed to get cleaned up and treated.

These were used, pretty good, fenders that the previous owner had put on. Hope to get them primed today.

GC

15 Likes

And a Wonderful Creator.

11 Likes