Life goes on - Summer 2023

You have no idea how bad i wish i was working on a dodge like that they kept the bolt on replacable nose assembly, this job would be a cake walk but its a spot weld drillfest and weld back together

11 Likes

I feel for you, I hate spot welds. I tried Harbor Freight’s spot weld cutter and it doesn’t work very well unless you drill a pilot hole first. Quickest way I found is using an almost wore out cut off wheel on the angle grinder.

9 Likes

Never been there and never heard of it. But now that you tell me about it we are going there sometime, thanks :blush:
I guess as usual we can’t see the beautiful forest because of all the trees is a fitting saying.

9 Likes

Nothing for the acrophobic, but fantastic 360° wiew.

12 Likes

We have very few of the fire watch station left here in the North West area of the USA. Obsolete now.

9 Likes

Cool, that would be interesting. I doubt that I would get my wife all the way up but would be fun anyway for a picnic

6 Likes

Haha, hanging out the window is rare, but wawing and thumbs up happens from time to time :smile: Also, I’ve had several people follow me to my destination only to take a closer look at the gasifier and question me about gasification. I guess you have experienced the same over the years.

Edit: I didn’t know about that tower either. As usual, one knows very little about sightseeing destinations in ones own neighborhood.

8 Likes

Ha ha, yes, many times, many thumbs up.
It was because of that my idea was to REALLY wawe like crazy if i saw a woodgas car, to really appear among ordinary “woodgas supporters” :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Yes, fire watch stations/towers are really rare here in Sweden also, this tower has been unused since, i believe 1960s maybe, when all forest fire watch became controlled by airplanes, it had also declined a lot since steam trains was abandoned, they was a common cause for wildfires.

9 Likes

Steam trains caused forest fires here too Goran. Their clinkers dumping. Their firebox exhaust. Even their steel onto steel, wheels-to-rail sparking.
Then back-when the steam powered Donkey-winche systems too.

The internal combustion engined trucks and harvester equipments brought easier forest harvest fire safety.

Sean French and others in different states forested areas have said that woodgas converted vehicles were required to Not have any below the steel bed gasifier system.
We all owe to each other to not let modern wood-for-power get a bad reputation as dangerous requiring new regulations restrictions.

Have your shovel, rake, extiguisher and an all steel ashes-clinker can and cover. A couple of cans of water too when you are playing with fire.
Regards
Steve Unruh

13 Likes

Good points there mr SteveU, always think of hot gasifier parts as a catalytic converter, no good parking in dry grass

I believe most dump their ashes and char at home, but otherway a ashbox is good to bring, i use this ammo-box, mostly because there are old regulations saying i should bring one, i dump ash at home. But very good if needed.

Regulations say: ashbox should be carried safe, made of un-burnable material, atleast 6 inch deep, atleast as wide as widest ash clean-out lid.
Some water and a fire extinguisher is obviously needed :smiley:

11 Likes

I am not known to be a clean-freak when it comes to cars, but today the chevy got a good wash, standing some years it had grown moss on it, and some slimy green algae like stuff

Looks much better now :smiley:

18 Likes

Yes. Practical regulations are to allow for safer usages.
Too many modern regulations sets are Catch-22’s to make using more difficult, expensive, and then finally impossible to do. Into the Matrix step marching directors. Inch by inch. Centimeter by centimeter. Social compliance engineering.

Yeah, need to wash vehicles here at least twice a year. Otherwise that dusts/pollens grown molds get too scrubbing hard to remove. Let build up; and the thickening growths will pop window guides and seals. The reds, browns, “green-ice” that will damage.
Regards
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

Bob, A lot of Indiana state parks still have fire watch towers, and allow access to the top observation deck during park hours. I haven’t been there lately, there is one about 5 miles from home as the crow flies. :cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

There are still a few left out here too. Some you can hike to and rent a week at a time. Experience what it would be like to have a fire watch job in the north west forest.

6 Likes

Marcus quote back about 326 bigfoot riding a mountain goat . This is why I love this forum. Been off the hagen for 5 years. But this sense of humor hit home. Tells me about which grandpa great uncle uncle aunt THEY all had a sense of humor. That got them through the times . Would like to hear yours.
Great Uncle Boots saying
Been round the pot clear too the handle

8 Likes

I reported a week or two ago about first buds bursting. Now cherries and plums are already blooming and bees are buzzing.

On another note. People are crazy - leaving this behind. Several thousand miles rotting away only in this pic.

17 Likes

Some harrowing earlier today, both in the veggie field and in the hoophouse/greenhouse. Have to fix the arches soon since we took off the plastic last fall, the arches are too short (I measured one arch and it must have been bent a little bit, the pricetag of free stuff) and I am not moving the anchorpoints, they are 4-800 pounds granitblocks dug down, drilled and bolted down fasteners for the arches in them so that is out of the question.
Luckily I still have six whole arches because I thought it would be too big to put up the whole thing.
Wow, I’m rambling, anyway when it rains the water stays on the plastic behind the horizontal bars and that is what I’ll try to fix by putting in extra piping in the top middle making the arch higher and longer.

Edit: Thank you J-O for giving me the smaller older harrow (the one on the pic) to use for ’gardening’ :blush:

15 Likes

You’re welcome Johan. I’m glad it’s useful. Fits like glove on the Major :+1:

8 Likes

Another good use for homemade charcoal :smiley:

15 Likes