Life goes on - Winter 2014

I forgot to drain my hay filter last night, now I have to REPLACE the drain pipe. 11F degrees = busted PVC pipe!

Sorry to hear that Wayne and Carl. Hopefully you have some type of shelter to fire it up to keep the wind off you during this could snap? Hopefully itā€™s an easy fix Carl.
Do either of you notice a difference in performance while regular driving?
Keep warm.

You guys are getting hit pretty hard in the south ā€¦ Carl, did you check the bottom of the filter barrel to see if it bulged out. common here. Bill S, Hope you got the shop mess cleaned up. I turned the curb stop off to the trailer on 1/2/15 ā€¦ It took 3 tries to get it fully off. They put some new water lines in just above me and some crud got caught in it ā€¦ Mike L ā€¦ 5 below here right now with strong winds at 9:30 AM Thursday ā€¦ Iā€™m walking up town next to get mail and send out some bills. Waiting for my office to warm up enough so I can type :o) ā€¦

This morning its up to 15 . -1 f wind chill
Yesterday made it up to 6 with chill around-25F of course all the breakdowns were outside. Luckily no water line problems.

Hello Bill.

As close as I have for vehicle shelter is a few shaded spots that donā€™t help much. The tucks seem to operate good in cold weather ( cold here is different than your cold ) . It is me that doesnā€™t operate good in that kind of weather.

Yesterday I put the cattle enough hay out to last about three days just in case my tractor doesnā€™t start .

Counting the wind sheid sheer cold, this weather is nucken futs

I know most you all would be happy with the 33 degree fog right now here, but I donā€™t know whats worseā€¦frozen ground or close to freezing fog. Cold fog goes right to the bones here. I knowā€¦ Iā€™m a wuss.

Gordon, 33Ā° fog sounds appealing right now. -30 to -50 wind chill this week. Like Wayne, I donā€™t complain when itā€™s 90-100Ā°.
Mike, weā€™re still cleaning up. We tore up about 1200 square feet of carpet. The water left in the shop has puddled in all the low spots. Water has started to wick up the Sheetrock walls.
Everyday I am grateful the heat works.

I donā€™t know how you guys function in those conditions. Tires freezing, diesel turning to jelly, fingers and toes falling off.

You all make me feel like I live on the beach . . .

EDIT - for your reading pleasure - http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF14/1427.html

AT in TX - Land of two seasons - summer and January.

Hi Bill, Itā€™s still snowing here. I am now having trouble walking through it. We have around 6 inches of newer stuff. We had 2 storms in November with 4 inches each but then we had a couple of inches of rain and lost that. Then the frost went in the ground around 2 feet. I had a guy (friend) pushing me to do a survey and I had to call him today and tell him I couldnā€™t do it knowing Iā€™d simply get hurt and wind up hospitalized. I got nauseaus just making the call. My knees are shot and back is messed up. One more slip or trip and Iā€™m done for. My legs are around 75% from what they were before July of 2013. Talking about snow and cold weather is like preaching to the choir with the ā€œDrain Kingā€ . It is actually above zero right now at 10 above at 7PM ā€¦ They are predicting minus 3 tonight and minus 11 tomorrow night so you guys down south brace yourselves ā€¦ Regards, Mike L

Wayne, I hope your beavers take a break in this cold weather. That would be a royal pain to crawl in that culvert in this weather.

Good morning Mr. D.

It seems the beavers have given me a break the last few days at my culvert . I think floods last week took some dams out down stream and they were called there to assist. My problem will be when the down stream beavers return the favor.

one thing I am thankful for is that I had the good sense to buy a snowblower, back when I had money and credit.

Good call Andrew. Although one can argue the exercise is good for a person, I argue to work smarter not harder.
By the way, have you seen the video where Pepe tested out his garden tiller with his small gasifier? It would be similar to how one needs to snow blow a driveway. Snowblower with wood may be a first.

Marvin and I both needed to get some steel at Sanduskyā€™s, so we made a day of it. I made the 200 mile trip on wood, and Marvin brought his latest Dakota. Swapped some gasifier parts and loaded up on cheap steel. Fun times!

Excuse my squinting at the camera ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Bill, I couldnā€™t find pepeā€™s tiller setup. can you give me a link? If I hung the gasifier between the handles, it would keep me warm out there. that would sure be an added benefit.

Chris and Marvin, thatā€™s the kind of shopping I like, at the steel warehouse.

Andrew here the link. Check out his other videos too. Pepe always has good stuff.

Hallo I have and built several Gasifers Last 4 Years,but The Last one " Wayneā€™s is the best. It is not finished
now but canā€™t weit to triy it,iā€™ve Never had so fast and good and long Gas
Regards from Switzerland 15 Degres now
I.Rƶllin bellform.com
Bad English

Hello Mr. Roellin

Thanks for the pictures and the kind words . Looks like you are doing a fine job.

It has been unusually cold here in the south east US but my truck has a good heater so I have been catching up on a lot of running around with it .

Your English is fine