Life goes on - Winter 2014

I’ve been having a draft problem the past couple of winters in my work garage despite running a chimney brush up the double wall SS length each fall. A week ago, the super woodgas sleuth, Don Mannes, came over and suggested among a few things that the cap might be restrictive. Days later I went up the roof and found that one of the 1 ½ by 4 inch openings was mostly clogged. My ground level brush never touched it. Solution - $5.00 wok from Walmart, 3 feet of SS ¼ rod, and hose clamps. This winter I’ll smell less like a smoker.

Doug, Good use of a wok !!! :o) :o) … Have a nice winter buddy … See you soon … Mike

Quick question… Does anybody use this style torch? Does it work OK?

1. Yes.

2. Not particularly - has a hard time staying lit, but it’s the only one I’ve ever tried, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I got one that looks like that but I would have to find the name on it to see who made it. It still works in the upright position if I light it with a sparker but the igniter quit early on and it flames funny if I invert it. I don’t use it anymore.

MIne is a BernzOMatic

Thanks guys. I’ll avoid it… I’m spoiled by the regulated torches. Evenly powerful flame in any direction.

You All have a pleasant (calm) halloween evening.
Our little patch of timber harvest is winding up.
First pic is loading oversized pulp wood log sections. 2nd pic is #1 export logs. 3rd pic is #1 domestic logs. 4th & 5th pic’s WHY harvest needed NOW as we are staring to get some tree center black-stain dying. 6th pic w-a-s an adjacent neighbors now hazard tree to built in houses Town creep out. Two new house lot owners screaming for it’s removal because of roofs damages. One new US citizen lot owner it adjoins chaining himself to it “to save it!”. Rural property owner brothers drew-up lawyers papers to give him this tree . . . along with ALL of the liability. Two Oct/fall winds storms later now. The tree saviour changed his mind. Our logger contacted to take it down along with 12 others capable of to houses damage. FOUR full log truck loads off of these. No replant possible. These houses now here to stay.
We will be replanting our harvest area back into Doug Firs next Febuary.
Stay warm all. Used up about 300 pounds of firewood in the last 15 days heating-air-flow-pumping dehumidifing the house from dragged in wet me and the dogs. 15 inches of rain in the last 15 days. Be some kind of rain near every day here now through May.
Ha!Ha! Doug Fir trees love this!
Regards
Steve Unruh

Steve, I guess you fellows would call our logs “pecker poles”. Because of deceases, they have been logging our woods (not forests) like crazy. They don’t replant, but is amazing how the woods are coming back on their own.TomC

If anyone is near Columbia KY, there’s a great steel yard there called Sandusky Sales. They sell just about everything you can imagine for 35 cents / pound, and there’s enough firetube and fin materials to rebuild all the trucks on DOW. They will saw cut a 12" tube for $15. I just made the 200 mile round trip because their prices are so good. Came home with 518 lbs of steel and one saw cut for $208.

Hi Chris.
I have been trying to get gauges here is SA but with little luck !!
Do you or any one one the DOW have any spare gauges for sale ?
I need three of each, vac and temp ?
I have found a supplier but they have to import them and want to charge about $85 a vac gauge and $ 45 a temp gauge, is that the going rate for the gauges ?

Thanks Patrick

That’s crazy expensive Patrick. They’re normally about 25 for analog WC gauges, $15 for basic thermocouple readouts, $35 for nicer ones with alarms. Hi quality thermocouples are a bit more at $60, but this is personal preference - cheap ones are $10 or so (ask Carl for recommendations). Long lead times on China items.

Like I’ve offered before, just pick out what you want and send it here, I’ll reship it. Don’t know the exact cost, but it should be about the same as the blowers shipping.

Hey back to ‘ya TomC
I never laugh or ridicule another areas trees. 70% of North America WAS once trees. Europe overall was once an even higher percentage. The trees themselves will decide which like a certain area and climate. Trees really are the ultimate no-till three dimensional solar collectors. Food, energy, building materials and medicines.
Just got to keep our critters like horses, cows; and the worst - goats and sheep off of them.
Even from these assaults still a chance to re-forest.
Even the Mt Saint Helens blast zone is re-foresting with birds and elk shits help like it always has.
Once Urban housing , sidewalks, concrete driveways developed that land for trees is gone forever more. Those folks cannot abide real trees, and real woods areas with wild local critters habitat. Only can stand constrained “pet” trees in concrete and asphalt holes. Buy off their consciences with locked out designated forests.
Caesar taxing us small woodlot owners out of existence. Restrict (Western Oregon and Washington States), then flat ileagalizing (Kalifornia) sustainable bulk wood heating in all forms.
“Let them build with even more concrete; and eat OPEC and Fracked gas grown Franken-foods”
Here’s where it would be easy to just say: Greed, greed, greed!
Much worse than that. A willingness to step by step settle for less and less. Less individual freedoms. Less space. Less diversity in all things. Some movies making fun of this. The realties of schizophrenic living are all around us. Just go internet unplug most now and watch then twitch, jones, shake off of the matrix needs/feeds.
Hugging a tree in the rain is very real. Scares most anymore- too real.
Makes me feel alive.
Even on this woods patch harvest we steward leave 50% of the once live tree bulk weight behind for Ma’ Natures soil repelnishing in the needles, limb twigs and in-ground stumps. These will rot in and organic relplentish the new baby trees. Within 5-8 years there will be more life force growing here for the next 20-30 years than the old mature trees were doing in the last 30.
An all-biomasser would take and burn/gasifiy it ALL. Lebannon. Greece. North Africa. Northern India. Man and his critters used up it all. Dust blowing in the winds. Scotland - trees gone, now scots broom bushes. Burn/gasify THAT crap all bio-mass puts most into respiratory failure. Ma’ natures pay-back.
Ma’ Nature always wins in the end.
S.U.

Nice score Chris! 35 cent per pound is a great deal. Do they have overrun laser cuts too? Too bad it’s not closer to you, or maybe that’s a good thing.

No lasers at this place Bill, it’s pretty old fashioned. Yes, it’s probably good I’m not any closer… my garage can’t hold all the good deals I’d find. :slight_smile:

Hi Chris.
Thanks for the offer.
Unfortunately we can’t use the postal service here in South Africa. They have been on strike for the past 2months and have destroyed most of the sorting machines and burnt tons of post as well !!!
So we will have to look at Xps or UTI or DHL .
Where do I look for the gauges ?
I have tried on eBay, but can’t find any ?
Thanks patrick

score chris too bad ky is so many loads of wood away that’s my kind of candy store.

This may be helpful to some, I posted this on Gary’s thread but the pic didn’t come up on front page. It’s always such a pain to place the camera and impossible for someone to video what you want so I came up with this for my IPhone, could easily be made to hold any camera, puts camera right where you need it right in front of your eyes and you have both your hands free, I used it on my last splitter video!

Great idea Herb, never enough hands.

Just so your sponsor (NAPA racing) is okay obstructing their emblem.