Life goes on - Winter 2014

Around here when their food supply, usually alders, is gone they move on. At the end of a cycle I’ve seen where they’d gnawed on hemlock. Some say it’s the sound of running water that gets beaver damming and have run underwater pipes to keep the flow silent. Dynamite never accomplished much when they used it back when I was a kid.
Down behind me they haven’t been very active for ten years or so. A couple weeks ago during our last big snow I saw what looked like a toboggan had gone through the woods down towards the swamp. I guess they’re back.

Beavers give me a chance to play with my backhoe 2 or 3 times a week. They still seem to be winning.

ch

I can remember as a kid, some 60 yrs ago, I used to help my dad skin these critters. Then I would hold and pull the hide as my dad tacked it to a backboard hoping to get the magic numbers for a “blanket” sized pelt. That was the big money size.
I can still smell them! lol.
Pepe

We don’t have a lot of beavers in my area (that I have ever heard of anyway). They really had a lot of water dammed up there, rather impressive actually.

Were I battling the little beasts I would be inclined to find something that enjoys eating them, or a good place to locate a comfy chair with a cup holder and gun stand.

Are they any good at all for eating or just making blankets/rugs?

Hi Henry,
In my youth our local Rod and Gun club had an annual beaver dinner. I’ve never eaten beaver. My father and 50 or so other members have. And year after year, too. I guess it’s pretty good or they’re all lying to each other, lol. Uhh, yeh, there was beer involved. Strictly for basting though!
I have eaten raccoon and some of it is light meat like pork. You have to remove the scent glands, in the legs as I remember, We parboiled it to remove any fat, then braised it. Very good tasting. My Dad said muskrat was very good too. I could never get past the rat part to confirm this.
Pepe

Henry, I was born a little south of you and as a kid, I remember how the Highway Dept use to dynamite beaver dams that were causing water back ups on the roads. These were all low swampy lands, that I believe have been drained for the big farmers to irrigate. Haven’t been down there in 50 yrs. TomC

Hello Henry .

I understand the alligators will hold the beaver population in check but I don’t want any of those around here either .

I have used a gun and light but the beavers end up outlasting me.

I was out DOW this morning and noticed the beavers had dammed my culvert pipe again so we will have to get back in the water this afternoon :frowning:

buy a backhoe !

ch

Wayne honestly if alligators would winter her that would be something I would use. I know for a fact that they are very good eating. Even better than the trout they would eat. Oh Waite the beavers already ate them!

:o) … M

Hello brother Carson.

These beavers have really gotten smart . They have learned to build their dam mid way under the road and anchor the limbs in the seams of the culvert . I have an old backhoe but there is now way I can position it at the ends of the culvert and if I could it would do little working in a four foot culvert pipe. Me or the son usually has to get in the culvert . In the winter the water is cold but no worry of snakes . In the hot summer the cool water feels good but I hate SNAKES !!

In years past I have run a hot wire ( electric cattle fence ) to the beavers building area . They hate electricity !!

Sounds like you need a trapper. That what we use in this part of the country.

I’m with Carl on that one…
Lots of Beaver up here, I’ve watched this mans videos (gotta hit “Load more” button to find em)

with a mind towards learning how to trap.
Lots of beaver videos in his “video” pages.
TerryL

Howdy Carl and Terry .

Yes I have trapped several and after I catch one they stop building for a couple of weeks . I build a funnel type shoot near the culvert that guides them to the trap and also lets the water flow ( like a picket fence ) . At each rain and water rise and rush will wash out the shoot and the trap. This area is so close to home I have to be careful and set the trap under water so as not to catch a dog.

On another note. I am about to light a fire that should last the rest of the year . BBB

Happy new year to all.

zero degrees here with strong winds today … My little red truck refuses to warm up … I might have to put cardboard on the grill … M

Happy New Year everyone

Ha! Ha! Yes time to turn over new energy use leafs.
Wood to energy - just do it Now, Real, this year.
14-22F (-10-5C) shocking clear and refreshing cold for here the last two days so I am doing it to the tune of 10-12 pounds (5-6kg) wood fuel use per hour!
My stoves maximum without going into a forced overheat mode.
Regards
Steve Unruh

everyone, have safe,prosperous year, and may your wood stay dry!!! I hope to have my WWW up and running this year.( that’s wood,water,wind power )haha!!

So this just happened. I became a Grandpa for the first time. My daughter and son in law just had a baby boy. A nice tax break.

Congratulations!!! … Granpaw! :slight_smile:
All the best.
TerryL