Life goes on - Winter 2015

Sounds great Jim.
Here’s my number you can load in your new phone. 612-834-0091
My number is here for all.

3 Likes

It might be worth finding a working Android phone that uses your old SIM card style, use it to back-up all your contacts and such to the Google servers, and then you’ll have an accessible copy somewhere.

Someone particularly tech-savvy with cellphones can do it in less than an hour without causing problems for the “surrogate” phone.

Gee sorry Arvid, man.
We’s out here Far Wet Coasts of you are sucking down all of the rain out of the sky we can.
Sorry to let some slide on past.
S.U.

3 Likes

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the effort. I don’t mind snow, don’t really appreciate the plow going by and building a 3 foot tall wall at the end of the driveway… I’m sure we got over a foot… all powdery… not so gun for snowmobiles in my brother’s field yet

1 Like

Well, it looks like the DOW band has some stiff competition in the “Redneck musician” category.

These guys do covers of metal songs “down home style”… Or something…

This is a cover of AC/DC’s Thunderstruck, by Steve’N’Seagulls

5 Likes

Brian, you probably know they are from Finland. I like them.

5 Likes

Chilly start up this morning. Wind chill was worse.

3 Likes

I’m assuming Fahrenheit. Can you tell me how far you drive one way and your observations between driving in these temps vs the summer?

Brrrr! Did the gasifier ever warm up?

That day I drove about 40 miles 1 way, and the temps did not get up past 200 degrees at the rails, hopper temp ofcourse was a little more variable since it relates to fuel useage instead of how hard I was running the unit. I also contribute the lower temps to some major plugging I got going on. (too cold to get out and dump the bins, in this weather as you know, just bumping your knuckles on something hard makes them feel like they are going to shatter.) This picture was taken before the gasifier was lit. The only difference I have noticed bill, is that the hay filter dosnt really work in these temps, and the gas is a little denser resulting in noticeable power (when its not plugged)

2 Likes

When you say hay filter doesn’t work, you mean it just don’t collect soot as well?

1 Like

Are you saying the hay filter won’t work no matter what when it’s really cold? Or…would it be better if us northerners to be set up like Carl and Wayne and contain the hay in a sack and remove it after each run so it doesn’t freeze? Sorry, I have trying to wrap my head around this for a while.

1 Like

Basically, all the water that is in it and there’s a lot, is frozen and it doesn’t really warm up that fast so your engine eats a lot of soot. (I have not had a problem yet) but I also would like to run a better “northern climates” filtration system. I have a few ideas in mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually I dont think it ever gets warm enough to turn the frozen hay back into wet hay. By the time the gas makes its way through your VERY COLD cooling rack, its most likely still only 40 degree’s or so (im guessing, but my hay filter is always cold, even in summer)

1 Like

Maybe put some heat tape on your tanks?

Yeah I was truckin along today at a whoppin 25 mph and my right rear tire got off onto the shoulder. Then round and round I go straight into the ditch. lol. Yeah we are right on the lake and that wind blows right through you.

2 Likes

Maybe if there was less cooling rack surface area being used by isolation valves on the rack, then you could bring the temp up to warm up the hay. Open the valves when it is warmer outside. Thank you, I didn’t know about this problem with soot getting to the engine in cold weather. We have a lot of up and down temp. changes in the winter months.
Keep on Gasifiing. Bob
Okay, I see by reading a little more that the valves will just freeze up and plug up causing blockage. Well then, covering the rack with a insulated blanket that is water proof and make it in three sections that would cover the whole rack system or part of the rack and rails. Adjust it to the weather temps. Has anyone tried this yet?
Bob

Matt, that is a great idea for the tanks under the truck to keep the water from freezing everything up. Also the heat might work it way up the pipes to the hay filter if they were insolated. I was thinking of a oil pan heater, but the tape would be easier to apply. Thank you.
Bob

Some guys like us in the north,are putting there condensate tanks close too the wood burner up in the box of the truck, in winter time,possibly extra tanks for winter time,then re plumed back underneath for summer time for better cooling.Like you say,maybe a little less cooling rack would heat the hay just enough for cold winter time.

1 Like

I think a different type of filter all together would be a good way to go. There are a few different types I have in mind. Ill share once I finish my new one :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing wrong with the hay filter at all, and I dont really think soot is a problem. If you live in the south like Wayne, the hay filter I think is the best there is. The north, however different story.

2 Likes

Thats a good possibility,good luck.Maybe a portable hay filter for winter time would solve the freeeeezing .