Life goes on - Winter 2016

Meaning for the dealership required service work to maintain the warranty, I think.

3 Likes

That is what you get for going back to the stealership. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Aha, sorry I assumed things worked the same across the pond.
When buying a new or used low milage car you have to be able to show that all the maintenance is done in order to benefit from manufacturer’s warranties. Also, you will have a hard time selling the car without the stamps in the “service book”. Oil, filters, cam belt, water pump and such have to be repalaced by a certified shop in intervalls set by the manufacturer.
In my opinion this is only a way to squeeze more money out of people’s pockets. I’m amazed how most people accept this as if it was the law. I use my cars until they are junk. No warranties needed :smile:

8 Likes

Sorry, Harry and Dan! I type slowly :smile:

I’m also amazed how people faithfully hand a lifetime of work over to ‘’ stealerships’’, as Dan says. People will easily hand over $30,000 or $50,000 over 5 years for a vehicle, and dutifully go back to the dealership for the smiles and free coffee so that ''technicians" can (maybe), change their oil, look for squeaks, etc. And then trade in, and do it all over again like hamsters on wheels.

I think my lifetime budget for vehicles will amount to less than $30,000. No free coffee, or 10% for “shop towels and fluids” for me… :roll_eyes:

The over consumption of automobiles is one of the most effective means of keeping people enslaved to the system. The other brilliant trap in North America is the inflated price of housing and land. Like George Carlin said, life then becomes nothing more than needing a box to keep all your stuff safe in while you aren’t there, because you are down the road with your automobile working for the man, to have the money to pay for the vehicle and the box to protect your stuff. I don’t like that plan, I value my freedom more than shiny things.

It’s a sad observation of human nature that so many people don’t know when they own something, or it owns them.

Regards,

9 Likes

JO,
Is spirit destilation not allowed in Sweden?

2 Likes

Personally, I approve of all the new car buying that goes on… it means a steady supply of cheap used cars for the rest of us! :grinning:

Joking aside, our last new vehicle purchase was a 1998 Honda Odyssey. We still own it, with now 365k miles, original engine and transmission. Body is in fine shape, it runs great. Hasn’t seen a dealership in years. I’m going to try and squeeze 400k out of it before it goes to the scrapyard…

11 Likes

6 Likes

WOW
That is a lot of miles Chris.
I have never bought a new car, usually get them when over 70,000 SM and run them to about 250,000 when something major happens, or so many of the plastic thingies are broken, and parts are worth more than the car

Those folks in the rust belt have a more assured obsolescence plan, when the fenders fall off or the frame breaks

5 Likes

Good point Chris, I’m forever grateful to all the “early adopters” for absorbing the heavy depreciation on the vehicles, I really appreciate the aftermarket of very useful and affordable vehicles they leave behind. If everyone thought logically there wouldn’t be much to work with.

Mind you, at the end of this game we may not have a planet we can live on, so, - it’s good while it lasts? :persevere:

4 Likes

There really is not too many people, Just too many greedy, hatefull, murderious devels here with the rest people that caint wait too stur up more wars with faulse flags and lies.It shouldent be this bad with internet knowleg.peace on earth.

2 Likes

No, it’s not. Never been for the last 150 years. It’s a state monopol, Russian style :smile:

Your not kidding about that we can’t keep anything on the road here in the north east and the state has just gotten wicked picky about rust for inspection. I have to replace my rear bumper because it has a rust hole. Who cares it is a bumper??? I guess they are afraid the exaust will get to the chickmunks hiding in there or something. You would think they got the profit from a new car for all the salt they put on the road. Now they start spreading liquid salt 12 hours before the storm to get a head start on the storm. So we get to pay the taxes to rust iut our cars faster… All because a few stupid people don’t know enough to keep good tires and slow down in the snow.

4 Likes

And British style, big trouble for depriving the queen of her taxes…

2 Likes

All the while god is good, i mean the real god of heaven and earth.

1 Like

The last time I bought anything was 2005 but back then the warranty was non transferable and the dealer would try to sell you a warranty on a used car. The last time a dealer got pushy about selling an extended warranty I got up and walked out. By the time I got to the door he asked why and I said well clearly you know something is wrong with that car cause you are determined that I need the extended warranty to pay for the repairs I think I will go buy something that doesn’t need work somewhere else. Man did he look mad as I kept walking out the door. I hate pushy sales people.

4 Likes

Well as DanNH said, "All because a few stupid people don’t know enough to keep good (winter!) tires and slow down . . . )
freezing down fog now and once again our Grid power is out due to a “stupid” bad tire driver going too fast.
The Honda2000 inverter generator once again humming along powering the thousands of lumen’s of LED room lights. Powering our colorful winter holiday lights. Power recharging my many sets of rechargeable Ni-mhi batteries.
Feeding two wood stoves for heat. This is normal. Hot water then for washing and bathing.
Wife will later cook with the propane camping stove.

I like much your cheerful snowman Aleksandr.
Freezing fog is wicked slick but makes no snow balls. Snow tonight here, maybe.
Interesting information. We are still allowed to use studded winter tires here in Washington State from 1st Nov. until March ending.
Seems I can no longer get these from American/Canadian manufacturers. Stud-less is the new green-spin Political Correct “better”. Not. Not for hard pavements slick made conditions.
Two of the three sets used here are Nokian/Finn brand “Made in Russia”. World 1st class quality manufactured.
Third set is South Korean Hankook brand. Very good performance and quality too.

Fellows. Keep voting with your pocket books for what works. And do insist that it does work for your needs.
Ha! Wide area traveling nurse-Wife get’s the new vehicle. I pry it out of her warm hands at 7 years/175,000 miles. I run these out to 17-20 years 250,000-300,000+ miles. Sigh. Some of her choices in new would not be mine. She does allow me to pick the production year MOST IMPORTANT and the engine selection ALSO IMPORTANT. Important for the longest useable life’s; lowest need for repairs; and lowest cost of maintneces.

Seasons Greetings. And a Welcome New Year, realizing it just keeps getting better and better.
Make you drinking glasses large, and always 1/4 filled with quality Living. And then be happy with your quarter-FULL, of real quality.

J-I-C Steve Unruh

5 Likes

I wish you all a happy new year, and lots of DOW miles from Europe, for all the western guys, no worryes, 2017 did come!

10 Likes

Best New year wishes from Thailand to you all… i slept through the village party music 7.20 am now…

8 Likes

If you put a live frog into boiling water, he’ll jump out. If you put the frog in tepid water and turn the heat on high, he’ll just stay.

3 Likes