Life goes on - Winter 2016

Yup the election is over time for the gas prices to go back up. If you look back over time here in the usa you will actually see a trend that gas dips every 4 years. Funny how that works. I keep wondering how much of my field work I could actually collect enough wood to do.

4 Likes

Hi Kevin,
I keep running into different firewood measurements. 2 months ago it was a Vermont cord, a rank of 16" wood 4’ high and 24 feet long. Now pops up a federal cord? What is a federal cord?, 3 cords for the price of 5 :grinning:

5 Likes

My cars never rust out. I stretched out a’74 Toyota Hilux and put in a 3 liter MBZ turbo diesel. I drove it for 25 years until a wrong-way driver on the freeway killed it. Then, I got a MBZ diesel 3 liter Estate car (station Wagon). I got left -turned by a stupid teenage girl. She killed the MBZ pretty thoroughly. I also had a 300 MBZ 4 door. It came to a gruesome end on the ice, hwy 97, Oregon. My current '92 Dodge 250 diesel has been hit 4 times while it wasn’t moving. An 18 wheel flatbed, a 560 Farmall, a forklift and a IH bobtail.
I currently drive a MBZ 300d wagon. It got bumped in a parking lot. Also, I let the girls use it and they brought it back with a mysterious dent in the driver’s front fender. They had NO idea.
My Dakota only has a couple hundred miles since I got it. Not hit yet.
I bought that C-60 chevy NAPCO 4 wd but, it isn’t on the road yet. It’s a california car so it doesn’t have any appreciable rust. I’m painting and undercoating it. The Dakota is well undercoated. I have a 1960 F-600 boomtruck that I used for logging up in Oregon. It seriously needs paint. It will be the first victim to fall to rust if I don’t get to it pretty soon.

I prefer to buy a fixer-upper and build it the way I want. My Dodge power wagon started life as a 2wd, 4 spd, 318. I changed it to 4wd, 5 spd, 5.9 cummins. I changed the chassis a fair bit to put radius rods on the rear diff and a pto winch on the transfer case and a Spicer 70 front axle. I make them the way that I want them.

3 Likes

Happy New year to everyone!
Here’s a cool video I came across. A glass head on a small engine

9 Likes

You are very wise by running your vehicles to the end of there life and then run them some more if you can.
Bob

3 Likes

Nuten wrong with building vehicles better than factory, i due similer fixes though they take me longer too finish then i like these older days.Good luck with new years and many less car vehicle or phisicle injerys.

1 Like

It has been rainy ,windy and wet in Alabama today and to bad out to be working so me and the wife went out riding . We stopped by the cattle sale for a little while . The cattle farmers are buying and selling but most just come by to see what they are worth . Calves seem to be about half what they were two year ago .:confounded:

The trucks are running good and have been putting down some miles :relaxed:

6 Likes

Thanks Wayne. Now I’ll have a picture of how my Big Mac started off. :grin:

2 Likes

Many years ago, Mickey Thompson built an engine with a glass head so that he could watch combustion. He also built a Mustang with scuba tanks in the trunk to try supercharging with a tank. He couldn’t modulate it.

3 Likes

Realistic vidio wayne thanks, sounded as if they were going around 100.00$ your trucks all running good any kind of weather.

1 Like

Do you ever feel like this when you start a project?

13 Likes

Don, are you at that stage right now? Or do you have something to share to cheer us snowed in up with?

3 Likes

Life is full of dead batteries and flat tires but try to think of the above tire as being flat on only one side :slight_smile:

10 Likes

We had a foot of snow last night and I’ve been out clearing today. Quite a lot of work, but not as bad as back in 1998… :smile:

5 Likes

That reminds. me of where I went to college. Houghton, Mi., about 100 miles north of where I live now…Houghton gets a lot of snow because of being on a peninsula in Lake Superior and the weather picks up moisture coming across the lake and drops it on the Kewanau Peninsula. TomC

3 Likes

Tom, you have been moving around. I always thought you were from sunny California.
Yes, this clip was Gävle, 70 miles from where I live, at our east coast. Same thing happens there. Early winter, when the Baltic sea is not yet frozen, they get bombarded with snow puffs. Moisture picked up from the sea.

3 Likes

I’m stealing this. Perfect comeback. :smile:

2 Likes

Jan I feel your pain. We got a foot a few days ago I got about half cleaned out and had hydraulic issues on my allis chalmers d15 I had to stop and fix. The last couple of days we have had 2 more inches of rain ice and everything but snow. Now it is warm and I am trying to get it all cleaned up before it freezes into a mass of ice.

3 Likes

Congratulations Bill Shiller, you get the #1 spot.

7 Likes

@Carl Builds character. If one was to look at it logically, unless one has to work outside in these temps, it’s not so bad. We have heat in our buildings and vehicles that handle the conditions to get us from point A to point B. Driving in it isn’t all bad, it’s the other people one has to worry about.

6 Likes