Life goes on - Winter 2016

Valve cleaners not a bad idea think i may add the can of that oil, i got a can of mystory oil hear some ware, good idea thanks.

Actually i have about 1200 at the grate when i drove it in 18 f weather before wind effect, and the rails were like only 150 f after a 22 mile drive at 45 mph on flats. I was bucking head wind and i could hold my hand on the heat exchanger so i ruled out air leaks though i did see a little paint smoking near the crosover, but the insulation is missing in parts on that small area. My gauges are hopper on top then rails then grate on bottom,Thanks

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theweathernetwork.com/amp/news/must-see-blizzards-blast-the-prairies-with-zero-visibility/80065

Sorry for posting this late, we had an extremely strong March storm pass through here, about the strongest in 50 years in terms of wind and duration. It seems most of the northern members had a taste of it as it has rolled across the continent. Fortunately we only got about 20cm / 8" of snow with it, but freezing rain to start made for impossible road conditions. Not far north they had much more snow.

Apparently winter isn’t over yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oops, my bad on the temps.
I was thinking tempretures at entrance to cooling rack, i don’t have a grate tempreture guage

It was 11" by 1/2" diameter on sale14 dollor so i used it, seems to be staying cool enough ware i got it through the. Wk insulate.I thinking on raising around 12" below the air feeders and use about a 5" pipe i have and see what temps due,i am back too making some change in money form for a while for now. I spent more time then needed too building my wood drying foom and finishing the truck gasifier, Thanks michael, gib.

1 Like

Took load too scrap yard and forgot too get pick of the scrap and trailer. Truck got me too another job with wood gas fuel.

8 Likes

One of the issues i have found when DOW is you fill the hopper and plan on a 20 mile RT, but then decide to take a side trip but did not put in extra wood
Aaarrrggg gotta go to dino!

4 Likes

Always BEB (bring extra bag) :smile:

3 Likes

Well i got it up too almost 55 mph. It uses about what it would in gasoline, 16 pounds wood too gallon of gasoline, had some wood left after going scrap yard so i dumped the trailer and went too bank in town and came back home 8 miles round trip, scrap yard was about 35 miles round trip.Well it was nice too put the scrap money in the bank instead of the tank. I raised my restictor and made it smaller that seem too help with the power.

9 Likes

I like it Kevin :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks Wayne for the reallistic coment, i think i got enough too go garge saleing like your vidio auction saleing.I think a little bit means a lot when we strech are moneys so far.And besides that its fun giving it the wood at the pedal. With the old bio mass converter. Heat the bio up a bit. In the core hearth area send it intoo the WK heat exchanger and there you have converted bio fuel.with in my case a cool cooling rack after my extra large WK heat exchanger.SWEM

3 Likes

I just checked for tar on my two throtal plates and gas air butyerflys and all were free as a bird, so addjusting my restricktor distanse and diameter must have helped with the heat range. And i used the same exact wood sorce 8.5 too 9 # after the full 5 gallon bucket weight.wood all the way too the top and few over the top.probley 8.5 pounds is a better choice minimum dryness for my machine any way. When i pick up a chunk of wood drying i can tell if its still water loged yet. I am looking for some season’ed wood now, i was trying just what i had free pine the next door person gave too me, thanks neyber’s. The trees were cut in middle of last summer , but stayed sogy under my tarp in all the damp weather after the short summer.

1 Like

Well, SoCal is out of the 90s and back into the high 80s. Soon, it will be too hot to work in the direct sun without a hat. I’m making progress on my '65 Chevy C-50 but, not doing anything on the Dakota. I have no shortage of projects.

2 Likes

We are lucky too get 90 too 93 3 weeks of the year hear in mi.And i know how projects add up, it took me over two years too get my truck ware i can give it the wood, instead of the gas.nice too have the bigger trucks on wood though not even wayne drives his big trucks as much as the wood sipping dakota’s.my next dakota or wood sipper is an s10 chevy 1985 with 2.2 re toy motor too then see how well it will hibrid when wanting too drive main roads.The timeing on my old 84 350 chevy worked best same place as what was set for gasoline, seemed more power right at whare it was set for petro or real close.and i can turn while driveing.

2 Likes

Firewood making season is on. Electric chainsaw motor meltdown yesterday :cry: Well, I used it for almost 10 years and a new saw is cheaper than only new bar and chain to my gasoline saws :dizzy_face:
Made a new friend at the parking lot when buying a new saw.
He came up to me and told me he watched me park. He asked me if I was running the pickup on gengas. He found that hilarious. Lots of questions. Told him about DOW.com and he said he was going to bring the welder out first thing when back home :smile:
Spreading the word is part of the fun :smile:

16 Likes

That is fun
I have had 2 times when a guy began following me and wanted to know about my system
They both had watched the discovery shows about wood gasification
I have probably provided the DOW website to more than 50 interested folks

9 Likes

Your big white tall 4X4 Ford truck stands out to be noticed. A small black Dodge Dakota with black painted gasifier hides a little better. You sure have been sending a lot of rain over the mountains, must be pretty wet over where you live. It’s normal for you probably, but really wet for us dry landers. Wanted to go out and rotor till the gardens up, but just to muddy.
Starting to pull some of the dry wood out from under the tarp, did I say dry, well kinda dry. Lol Well if I want to DOW I have to put some more wood fuel prepping in.
Bob

1 Like

Garden? I still have about 2 feet of snow out there… things where looking nice for a while and I was working on next winters wood but now the wind is back up soo high you can’t work in it. Back to cold and windy here today.

I was wishing it was a 4 X 4 the other day when i got stuck in my front yard on level ground … MUD
But i also have a 90 ford bronco with lockers so no big issue getting it out
The Fedex guy got stuck about a month ago MUD but he strayed off the driveway.

I have been very impressed with how well the monorator tubes dry out even 20% wood so don’t be afraid to try some.

We had a 3 week dry spell in January and i rototilled in about 3 yd3 of pine shavings and horse manure 50/50. Also added 5 lbs of Nitrogen.
But cannot walk in the garden now due to MUD

News folks have advised we have more than a years rainfall in 3 months.

Oh, I thought it was a 4X4. In January over here I would have rotor tilled about 2 foot of snow into my gardens. One thing nice about this area is, just get a warm wind blowing in the spring and the ground drys out quickly and the wood that was cut last year. With my truck the gasifier will handle 20+ % moisture wood with no problem. Adding the fins to the cooling tubes on the hopper really improved the efficiently of colecting water. Just dump the hopper condensation tank more often.
Bob