Life goes on - Winter 2016

Thanks for the report Mr. Carl

Your truck looks like a winner :relaxed:

1 Like

they most likely thought you were a portable barbeque I have been asked many time whats cooking smells good . it looks like a good time there hope you had fun.

2 Likes

Looks good carl i see you got the truck back good and solid, and you are still useing the aluminum rails rear sections. If they only had the wood gas self fueling feeling after the first drive, and seeing how well it works.

2 Likes

First time this year sun is feeling warm. Starting to feel what it’s like to be alive again.
Taking the dogs for a walk and wherever you look there’s fuel :grin:

9 Likes

William,
I know this is a bit old, but thanks for providing these links. The USGS aquifer stuff is interesting, and I have been eating up the www.suspicious0bservers.org site. Those guys have a lot of things figured out! Highly recommended to all here! :slight_smile:

Wood heat , hard to beat :grinning:

6 Likes

Nice heat supply on wood, i thi k the cold circled circled around and came back to michigan, its going down too 15 f tonight and pushing lots of wind. Got truck on wood again, runs grate, just running down some air leaks,or pluging problems that is out of adjustment.

8 Likes

Sounds like you and I have the same weather.
I really like all the photos of the different control interfaces people have setup. It helps to see different ways of monitoring the gasificers.

2 Likes

Glad to see you guys are having some nice weather. Our high temps will not be 15*f till Monday when the snow comes with the lows well below 0. Looking good Kevin. Glad to hear you are dow.

Lots of wood with all the branches and trees that got knocked down too. 60mph winds, and I watched a dead box elder fall.

Lots a wood, i made my first 40 mile round trip today, the old chevys are slow on wood, though i think i could pull a few thousand pounds of wood home with light trailer, the computor trucks are a much better choice for hybriding for extra power when needed.I will probbly hook up a propane injector nosel for towing. And hill climeing, carb trucks just aint not the better choice for wood gas power drop.

good wood hauling truck either way i am happy just seeing how clean the exougst is, aint no smoke at all.Good plans mr. Wayne keith Thanks for all the design ideas from the DOW.

10 Likes

What does it have an old 350 of 454? I wonder if swapping the heads to gain compression would help alot on power? The list of things you can do to a 350 is almost endless.

1 Like

20F when I left Omaha this am. 4 hrs later 68F stuck on BIG road _8 lanes wide bumper to bumper. I really wanted to get back to the cold for about a hour there. Read once where Wayne switched back to gasoline while driving through Atlanta know why now.:fearful:

1 Like

Hy dan i am just happy too add a little petro for wood haulling and the hills in traffic, only when needed, my next project is in progress soon, an s10 with 22 re toyota motor, as this setup will require much less wood processing, and is obd 1 computor for ease of hybriding, the computor adds what it needs acording too the oxegen sencor like the dakotas.my big old chevy eat 65 gallons of wood for 50 miles, and the s10 would be more like 25 or 30 gallons too 50 miles, and much better on petro when hybriding.

2 Likes

That really seems like excessive wood use
My Ford F-250 with a 460 CI engine burns about 6 gallons of chunks per 10 miles when running at about 45 MPH

Hi michael gib i agree but this old truck is slugish on petro at about 8 miles too the gallon, and i have at leaste one air leak at the grate temp gauge pluming.and the wood i am useing is light weight pine and some cotton wood and the weight adds up too what it would burn pounds of wood too a gallon of gasoline.16 pounds of wood too a gallon of gasihall or watered down gas ethenal.

Fix your leaks. :slight_smile: Even with the wood you have, I have a feeling you can do better. Also check craigslist or take a drive around an old subdivision, you might be able to find some trees down and you can stop and ask. :slight_smile:

Thanks Sean O i. Thought it was runni g a little ruff at idle, and it was below zero while driveing wind. I am going too raise my restrictor and and narrow it and see, as i made some tar on the throtol plates this morning no stuck valves but was running a little ruff at first start up.with my v10 burn tube i think its too long for the motor i am using.so i will be adjusting the temp restrictors.and when i hit the grate at fill up i used a 1" pipe instead of a small rod.my restrictor is about 7" at bottom of the larger diameter tube and the long vi0 tube.That may be the milege and power problem as well.

You might want to try like a valve cleaner if it is getting a little sticky, before it becomes an issue. something like marvel mystery oil, or something similar. I forgot what most people use on the list, but it beats tearing the engine apart. You may have issues because you are using pine and that tends to have more tars in it to begin with so you may have to make some adjustments, but fix the air leaks you know about first. You wouldn’t be the first to have issues with gas quality because of tiny air leaks.

I noticed a 600 and 900 degree tempretures on the tempretures displays in your pictures
Both of these are pretty good indications of an air leak or overpulling where the gasifier has gone into “heater” mode.
I had these same issues for about 6 months after my first start up. I continued to try to drive at 60 MPH and finally Wayne K advised that I had found the upper limit of the 12" gasifier with a 7" restriction at about 50 mph!

With a 10 amp reheostat in line with the fuel pump shutoff switch, running in hybrid is easy when the need to go fast or climb a steep hill occurs.

2 Likes