Life goes on - Winter 2017

Happy Birthday Chris.
Merry Christmas all

7 Likes

I don’t put up lights or decoration, but this photo is for all of you guy’s
May the fruit of your doings be a endless smile on your face, joy in your heart and color in your life.
Merry Christmas to all

13 Likes

Happy birthday Chris !!!

Merry Christmas and God bless you all :relaxed:

A Christmas tradition I have is visiting my Dad’s grave . He missed getting to ride in a wood burning vehicle only a few months :disappointed_relieved:

Then on to another cemetery to visit my Grand Dad and my Great Grand Dad’s grave .

A few more miles to the south I will visit the grave of my Great, Great Grand Dad and my Great , Great , Great Grand Dad

14 Likes

Wishing you all well

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25507913_10214723615307086_7892535484630853337_n.jpg?oh=9289d4854b747119f6c9081cac20ca21&oe=5AB9E4D2

12 Likes

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone. We got 9 inches of snow with about an inch if ice on top yesterday so it is a white Christmas here. I will spend today cleaning the farm out and we have another big storm Christmas day. Guess we are making up for some if the light snow years of recent history this year. The last 2 weeks have been pretty gray and overcast so it doesn’t really feel like the holidays.
I have been paying close attention to the weather and how often people have to run a generator to make up for a lack of solar power. I am still working on my barn repairs and thinking part of my going off grid will have to include a wood powered generator for backup power. Planing is important but right now I am just focusing on the issue of the day. I need to get the place cleaned out and get my lumber sawed along with finish filling my wood shed. I am back to just in time wood this winter as there are too many projects right now. Oh I have an update coming on my pasquali tractor repairs. I got the parts and the motor is going back together.
Wishing everyone the best on their projects. My life keep you busy but not so much that you don’t enjoy the journey.

8 Likes

To me Keon, what you have said is better than lights and decorations. Thank you and Many Blessings to you ,wife, family and friends, Merry Christmas Blessings to all.
Bob

7 Likes

Merry Christmas to you all, and may God Bless you all this New Year in Jesus Name. He Is The Real Reason For This Holiday Season, where ever you are at on the face of this Wonderful Earth He Created.
Bob

10 Likes

Merry Christmas to all on Drive On Wood! Happy Birthday Chris. Many thanks to all of you for sharing, and may God bless you all…

Bryan Stater

8 Likes

For 2017, I travelled to Africa three times, did a bunch of weddings and too many funerals, met with a lot of troubled souls, and helped our team gather many thousands for our Christmas service in the largest arena in our state. Since New Hampshire has the lowest church attendance (and near highest opioid deaths) of all 50 states, our church is extraordinary.

DOW is a happy place to escape to when stress is high. The cleverness, down-to-earth wisdom and genuine kindness of everyone in this forum helps keep me sane and joyfully serving our glorious Lord Jesus. Christmas blessings to all!

17 Likes

Bruce, Eternal likes, Amen.
Bob

9 Likes

Love the sentiment, I also believe we have a unique and valuable, positive community here. The good side of the virtual world. 20 years ago we would have had none of this, but now we are a community, and known to each other. Happy Christmas to all.

10 Likes

MERRY CHRISTMAS ! to you all, and happy DOW new year. May God bless us all, and keep us safe through the next year.

8 Likes

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas wherever you find yourselves this year.
On a ranch there are some of us who are far from our families and I generally volunteer to do others’ chores for them so they can be with their families. This year my boss is the only one that has family far away and with what he has done for me, letting him go be with his family knowing that his work is going to be taken care of, I feel is better than any little trinket that I could buy him from any store. I should add that my boss is one of the biggest reasons that I am sober today, so out driving in the snow or mud gives me plenty of time to reflect on what he has already given me. Believe this for sure, I am plenty thankful!
Other than this site, I go on WoodBarter and The Forestry Forum and that’s about it. All three of these sites are about the same for me, a respectfully ran place to learn interesting things with a bunch of folks not trying to slander each other, cut one another’s throats or full up of all the swearing. I thank you all for that.
For the newcomers, ask the questions and get involved. I say this all through life. It may be the way you ask and the answer that you get that particular day that someone else understands, so not only are you helping yourself, but possibly helping others at the same time.
Now, I’m going to feed cows and break some ice. You all have a Merry Christmas.

14 Likes

Memory trigger. Just as the sun comes up ,frost on the cows backs.pitching hay off the sled. Wearing the yellow fuzzy Daffy Duck gloves that after the second pas across your runny nose all the skin was gone. Fingers so numb hard to hang onto axe.Toes so cold when you got back to house they hurt when starting to warm back up.
Thank you

7 Likes

Breaking ice… yuck you need to get one of the energy free waters.
SY400
I installed the one here back in 93 I think. It still works just as good today. If it is 0 to 10 F for the low I put about a half gallon of hot water in it every night about 6pm and it won’t freeze. Below that I add hot water in the morning as well only about half a gallon to a gallon max. In the very coldest weather we get here about -30 f I have to open it up once a winter at the most and heat up the elbow at the top to melt out the frozen line. That could be fixed with about 6 inches of heat tape and was for years when there was power in the barn. But with that I have for income it isn’t worth trying to put power back in the barn.
Anyway I am sure your boss figures your giving him the best gift he could have. Hope you enjoy the day. Just stopped snowing here for a bit guess I will go brave the snow and get some work done before the desperate cold comes…

4 Likes

Hi Allan,
I read your comments and am impressed with your consideration for others. There is no better “gift”. Having been alcohol free for the last 33 or so years, I can truly appreciate the sobriety. It has redirected my entire life and I’m sure it will yours. Dig down deep on those days when temptation rears its ugly head and remember how “in charge” you felt without the devil in the bottle. This is a day at a time endeavor. Go stand in front of a mirror and look that man in the eyes and remember how good it feels to be sober and pray for strength. You will find it. Yes, I prayed, laughed and cried and yelled at the guy in the mirror. You are the only one that can do it, never lose faith in yourself. Yes, this is a great site, more than just woodgas for sure. Some of us baring our souls knowing we won’t be ridiculed. Those that make fun of you for not drinking are certainly not your friends. I found that out and started thinning out the herd. Good luck to you.
Pepe

9 Likes

Thanks Pepe.
I’m well past the rough days, thankfully. LOL
Although, I just had the last 20 of my teeth pulled due to major problems with them and can say for darned sure that the pain pills that they give you would go great with a few beers. I had to throw them away and switch to Alive for pain.
Have a great Christmas.

9 Likes

I heard that aleve are bad on your kidneys, hope they heel fast, i had mine replaced few years ago,caint beat faulse teeth if your other ones were crumbleing like mine were,Mine startef feeling much better after the first 3 too five weeks, Merry Christmas.

6 Likes

It was -21 F last night and today it looks like the high will be about -2 F. That is uncommon here for sure. We get some nights this cold the end of January but for the day to not reach 10 F is very uncommon. I hope this isn’t just the start of a long cold winter. I am wondering if my waterer for the cows can hold out for the rest of this cold spell or not. I also have about half the cows I should drinking out of it which doesn’t help. I might have to find a way to power up some heat tape in it if this weather is a sign of how the rest of the winter will go. That won’t be much fun in a barn with no power…

4 Likes

Hi Dan stay safe as in frost bite you guys in that state or near you are the coldest state in the world other than two citys’ or A small town in russia. record LOWS. I caint even emagine being only lows -8 here one or 2 days.After it gets above ZERO you might think your in miami.

3 Likes