Life goes on - Winter 2017

Got some chunking done just before dark.well it took me about one and a quarter hours too chunk five

gallons more than a 55 gallon barrel. My chunker was made from a 3500 ford axel, and only chunks about 1 1/2" and down too about 5\8" sise wood so takes a little longer too chunk.

11 Likes

Looking good Kevin :grinning:

Thanks Wayne, i just watched your mountain vidio, that is one long mountain, are them dakotas 4 speeds like the chevys.You must be in second gear at the steepest parts.?? Thanks.

Thanks Wayne, i just watched your mountain drive vidio.

Yes , 4 speed and the torque converter will look in and out and cause a little difference in the gearing.

Those 93 too 95 v8 dakotas are worth it in long run when adding all the maintainance, hibride driveing benifits,and timeing adjustment features of. and the extra power when needed.

You don’t want to hear how good the weather is here in SoCal. I recently made a trip up to Myrtle Point to bring some stuff up there for my new business. I never made it over to Bend. Too much ice. You can have it. I’ve been working on my new / big toy. The '65 Chevy NAPCO truck.

I had to do a bit of work on the log house this summer.

We had a few days of smoke here. The fires never got closer than 5 miles.
Hartvigsen has the best deals on spoons for DIY hydro. http://www.h-hydro.com/
The PMAs in an alternator case don’t work very well because an alternator is designed to be compact.
Wishing Christmas greetings to everyone.

11 Likes

Good to hear from you William, my daughter Pam Loves the winters down there. Looking good, nice log cabin, I like your '65 chevy NAPCO truck. Do you have any up dates on your gasifier truck?
I hope you have a very wonderful and Merry Christmas and New Year.
Bob

1 Like

Bobmac, in reply to the question about my wood gas Dakota. I built it because I’m convinced that America is going to come crashing down very hard. The USGS has now come out and said that all of that heavy oil will have to be left in the ground. The well-depletion rate for fracking is getting even worse. Fracking was done with money from the junk-bond market. It lost $20 billion last year. Exxon borrowed the money to pay stock dividends. Fracking has never been profitable.

Finance has pulled out of big Oil. Finance is in big trouble anyway.
“Margin debt now at $561bn, double amount of tech bubble of 2000, 47% > than in 2007”:”

I built the Dakota as a way of prepping. America runs a trade deficit of $ 1.5 billion a day. That is not going to go on forever. We import 4.1 million bbl. a day of oil. Our suppliers are getting tired of doing vendor-financing.
The Dakota is just resting off to the side waiting to be used. It needs some fine tuning. I also need to do the 'learning curve". I was getting a pretty clean burn last time that I fired it up but, there is still more to do before i drive it on wood.
Fracking for oil is a losing business. Gas is another story. I’m putting together a spare engine for the Chevy that will run on propane. I’m going to hang out in L.A. until the default cascade hits, MAYBE in the middle of next year.

2 Likes

William, around here that stands for “Lower Alabama” . Not a bad place to be with or without a meltdown. :blush:

1 Like

There is one thing I have learned about the 75% of DOW, it takes practice, practice, practice driving your truck. You don’t just hop into the truck and go down the road, you need to be a seasoned DOW driver when you need the truck and have it ready to go all the times. Just my two cents on any up coming future event in any gas shortages. I still remember the early 70’s, gas lines and stations out of gas.
It is one reason I got into DOW. Just the knowledge of how to do it is very valuable resource. Very few people even now know about it. Good to hear about the new business opportunitie.
Bob

6 Likes

I’ll heartily agree with BobMac that only Using makes for competency.
50 years of woodstoving and you’d think I’d have nothing left to learn.
Another 100+ days and 200 lighting-up’s so far this heating season. ~1800 hours burning time. ALWAYS more wood-use capabilities stretching to be learned.
Ha! This year kinnda’ wetish actual mushrooms growing fuel wood. Tricky. Tricky. Tricky.
Much bigger center hole burn-out now in the slotted cast iron grate to “fill” span with broken up stove liner bricks. Ha! A new factory cast iron grate would just burn out in 15-20,000 hours like the first one anyhow. $3.00 bricks are cheaper.

“The book on the shelf is just to inspire. Just to motivate. A REAL cook/operator/wood-for-power user doesn’t need the book.” (IF feeling charitable m-a-y-b-e write the book. More likely to just say: If I can, you can too! SEE-DO)
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Wow ! ! That truck pops my cork ! ! ! Nice straight frame.

Thanks for the melt down update.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing about the truck. Around here anything that old is just a pile of rust with a little paint flakes around it. It reminds me of the old farm trucks we had here when I was a kid.

1 Like

I’ve always believed that the auto makers and truck makers subsidise the cost of salt to the county road crews. Big Pharma is the main investor in the junk food industry. It makes perfect sense.
Just a short recap on the weather. The sun doesn’t so much heat the earth as it heats the thermosphere.
“The thermosphere is directly above the mesosphere and below the exosphere. It extends
from about 90 km (56 miles) to between 500 and 1,000 km (311 to 621 miles) above our planet.”
“Thermo” means heat, and the temperature in this layer can reach up to 4,500 degrees Fahrenheit. "
The thermosphere is heated in direct proportion to how much protection it gets from our magnetic field. As the north pole goes screaming over towards Siberia, it brings the cold with it. The arctic loses it’s strong protection from being so close to the north polar magnetic field.
The arctic warms up. Siberia cools down. The arctic air drifts further down south. The weaker the magnetic field, the more heat the thermosphere gets. The sun is going into a weak or very-weak minimum and the solar wind can’t charge our field enough to ward off flares and proton streams.
Previously, only an X-class flare could get through. Now, an M-class flare can do it.
The sun goes weak. Our shield goes weak BUT, Sol still pumps out some good CMEs even if it is in a quiet phase. You can expect the weather to get much more violent. The overall trend is cooling but, since our shield is weak, we have been setting new records for both hot and cold.
The Pakistani Government has warned their people to get ready for global cooling. How do you get ready for the glaciers to grow AND, the Indus and Ganges to diminisg their flow?

Many of our earthquakes are caused by coronal holes.
http://spaceweathernews.com/studies-suggest-sun-triggers-massive-earthquakes/
The big quakes 8.0 and above are ALL concurrent with a solar-polar reversal. So, even without sunspots, we will still get earthquakes caused by holes. SCOTTY, our shields are down !
The big worry is an ARkstorm, ARkStorm - Wikipedia
That’s in Ca. Oregon is expecting the Juan de Fuca plate to let go. It normally reaches a level 9 earthquale. The USGS says that everything west of Hwy 5 will be demolished.
I’ll just keep prepping and sit tight.

A couple more notes on future weather. Martin Armstrong has compiled a program with much of the history of the world included. He has used this for decades to do VERY accurate financial projections. His program also has a lot of the history of the natural world. Here are a couple of recent posts.
Remember that ALL of this is free so, he has no financial incentive to give bogus projections.

Dear DOW-community,
as I’m spending the week between Christmas and New Year with friends and family and I try not to use the computer too often during the holidays, I just want to wish you all a merry Christmas, a happy New Year, a great time with your loved ones and good success with all your ongoing projects!
Regards,
Til

16 Likes

Now, that’s a PICKUP!

2 Likes

Mr Til, with some guys getting vacation and having time to work on projects, who are they going to contact for expert advice if you go off line???
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I and I’m sure others agree your posts have added much to this forum. TomC

7 Likes

Happy Birthday to Chris, and Merry Christmas to my DOW family.

15 Likes