Life goes on - Winter 2017

But when it comes to making a gasifier sing It’s song roaring in the fire tube and making a engine hum with RPMS, and the truck tires rolling down the road in tune, you have got talent Wayne, that they don’t have.
Merry Christmas to you and your Family this Holiday Season.
Thanks for sharing the Christmas gathering video with us.
Bob

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Bob .

Thanks much for the nice comments .

Here is a video that Chris put together a few years back . Your comment made me think of the gasifier roaring, the tires turning and the county side going by .

6 Likes

I finally got my hydro system more or less operational today - putting out a rather modest 65 watts, but if it runs 24-7 and doesnt break down on me, it will provide quite a bit of power! Now I can do some more work on making charcoal and getting that gasifier running.

14 Likes

That pretty cool Carl. I wouldn’t mind seeing a video of this in operation.

4 Likes

Hi Carl, I see the squirrel cage and I suppose you have belted up the speed? What are you turning with it? 60 watts at the bank is pretty good. How far away is the juice travelling? Any idea of the drop and the flow through the pipe? So many questions! Congrats! Bill is right; we need a video!
David B.

2 Likes

Nice music Wayne thanks for the vidio, a lot of music players over there. Merry Chistmas too you and yours allso.

Only with enough water melon flavored jolly rancher moonshine. We have a music barn down the road too. Pretty common place to find such a group on Sat night…at the back of somebody’s cow pasture in an old farm house that no one lives in any more.

1 Like

I shot a short video of the water jet (the side panel has a piece of plexiglass on it so i can see whats going on in there) but it turned out really bad. I will take another more comprehensive one tomorrow when i go down to see if it survived a whole night of running. My confidence in it is still shaky. The specs are: 400 feet of 4" pipe for the penstock. The drop is about 20 feet, but I only register 6psi on my gauge. The nozzle size was intended to pass 200 gpm, but with the losses in the pipeline (more than I anticipated) I think the flow is less. The turbine is indeed an old squirrel cage blower, which I do not think is ideal, but it does work. It is geared up maybe 2.5x to a PMA from Wind Blue. It sends 45 volts DC up about 500’ of 10 ga wire to my shed, where I am running it through a Renogy 20A mppt charge controller. I then have a xantrex C40 diversion controller dumping the extra power into my hot water tank. So far so good, I will try and post some more details tomorrow.

6 Likes

Carl, I think you are doing great. Based on a 20 ft drop your max pressure would be 8.7 ish psi before friction losses which over 400 ft would be at least a couple of psi. Nice use of an mppt. I’m envious. Looking forwards to the video.
David Baillie

1 Like

Here is a quick walk-around of the turbine.

And here is the charge control in my battery shed.

I am not sure if it is breaking in a little bit, but power output seems to be up a bit this morning.

As you can see in the video though, the tailwater coming out the bottom of the turbine housing is still moving pretty fast, and the jet you see through the sidewall is not deflected towards the center as much as I think would be ideal. I knew going in that a squirrel cage fan was not going to be a perfect turbine, but since it was free, and will be cheap to replace, it shows quite a bit of promise as an easy cross-flow turbine. Someday I would like to build a stainless steel version using strips cut from of 2" or 3" pipe as vanes, and space them out more and get the angles right. I would like to get the local fabricator to laser cut some plates for the ends, but I need to figure out how to get the CAD drawing worked up. Anyone here have any experience with LibreCAD?

7 Likes

Wow!
Carl, that is really “cool” and well thought out. Thanks for the video! I have tried some cheap or free CAD programs, but the learning curve always sends me back to pencil and paper. That being said, I know there are programs out there worth trying. OnShape was my latest try, they have an open version if you are willing to share your work with the community. Alas, the old “Google Draw” is no more.

Hey Allen,
I feel you man.
I am down seven myself, one by one.
Dentist says another six are going to go unless I go now with super expensive implant surgeries. These things were filled and refilled for ~25 years. Now some on the second set of “bullet-proof’” NOT! crowns.
No way on the thousand of thousands of dollars each, implants. Those are for the wifie. She’s younger than me.
PNW super soft Rural well water did us no favors as almost completely de-mineralized as permanent teeth growing kids.
I joke that the last four extractions NOT implanted has paid for my woodgasing works. Actually more true than not, so not a joke.
Priorities. Priorities. Priorities. Most cannot do this. Hats off man. Gitter done. Move on.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

5 Likes

Hey guys, this has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but I just laughed so hard I’m crying.

4 Likes

Just testing my youtube channel.
Geting the xmas trees 2017

3 Likes

Carl that is really cool. This reminds me of a video I saw a while ago.

It amazes me to see people making the most of the resources on their land.

5 Likes

Hey Carl that is so cool. are you going to play with the pulley size? She looks powerful enough for a bit more torque.

2 Likes

Carl, my experience with mixing squirrel cage fans and water always left me with the understanding that the water can’t evacuate fast enough from them to not become a drag to some degree. An impeller works better obviously, but costs a lot more. Looks like yours is doing great. Thanks for the vid.

Hi to all water power users.
Do you know this website? There is something written about small hydro-power.

back to wood-gas. There is also an article about that:

This website is very interesting regarding low tech solutions.

6 Likes

YouTube Channel Works!
Camera shots play back better when phone/cam turned sideways!:wink:
Thanks, Roger!

1 Like

Hehe, yes Mike I know the format was bad, I just had to hold on when the road was so bumpy.

1 Like