Life goes on - Winter 2017

Well we made it out. Piles of wrecked cars and trucks beside the road. Stopped snowing about 30 miles south of us. My brother says they measure over 9 inches so far and more falling. Everyone out of power and most of the guys in our community are out with fire dept and rescue squad calls. Not sure if I am sorry to miss it or not. Weatherman says we might have snow here in Tallahassee in the morning.in I bet I 'll get away from it in Sarasota though. But who knows , if Garry is right I might end up in ft Myers or key west before it goes back from whence it came. In Either case Donn, I agree with Wayne, I don’t like it. I say Steve can have it. Haha by the way Jeff, funny. last week jesse told me that must be the difference between snow men and snow women.

6 Likes

Sorry, somehow i missed this post earlier. What is “Smolen, KS”? American place?
You may have mentioned earlier, but do they know what place in Dalarna they are from?

EDIT: Found it: Smolan, Kansas. 215 people in 2010 :smile: It was actually named after the Swedish province of Småland which is located at the southern part of our east coast (Baltic sea).

3 Likes

Being born and raised in ohio I will always be in love with the king midget. Built in Athens, Ohio. We had reunions there every year. I had just stumbled on your post and had to go back after I thought I seen a king midget. Haha
It’s got good bones for a fix up. Good luck they are beyond fun to drive and road legal too!

2 Likes

We have been having great weather here in Oregon, so I have been getting no work done on my gasifier project - but I have managed to put a dent in the firewood cutting for next winter.

Cold and clear weather is awfully nice for working in the woods, but I am actually ready for it to go back to being 45 degrees and raining.

9 Likes

Latest page in the great King Midget saga.

11 Likes

Complicated steering system compared to the simple brake system. TomC

3 Likes

Here’s a project I finished up recently. 3 phase power converter, to run a lathe. This is installed at Earth Tools, where I work. Fun project!

8 Likes

Chris an easier method of doing this is to hook a single phase motor to the 3 phase motor shaft to shaft the single phase motor will spin the 3 phase motor turning it into a generator.
The other method is expensive but you can buy a VFD variable frequency drive which will also give you speed control of the lathe.
That said the method you used is cool.

2 Likes

Chris,
Would this be anything like using buck boosts?
I’ve set up turret lathes and turning centers using them and am wondering how much of a difference there is.
BTW, I’m all kinds of jealous of the toys you have in that shop. I used to build custom paintball guns for a living and really miss playing in the shop.

1 Like

I would like too have some thing in my work shop that valuable, in the mean time back too the winter snows.

I am serprized at how well this old snow blower turned intoo a power shovel, it is more than twice as fast as snow blower . and i dont get all the snow fluffing up, i caint shovel more than 4 or 5" at a time. But it runs as fast as 5th gear full speed.i just plow twice on big storms. The big tires were made too fit from old riding mower.The blade is a two by 12" board with sheet metal nailed too it. All the rest is the same, it was a 5 horse ariens blower.

6 Likes

The old garage door has worn out. Installed in 1976. Had to clean the equipment and gasifier out for the removal and installation of the new one. I Hope the new one last as long as the old wood one did.

And as I’m typing this …it just started to snow.
Bob

5 Likes

Nice! :relaxed: How do you like that Forney welder? We have been fighting old garage door problems, but not ready to replace quite yet.
BTW, one of my challenges is my whole workshop looks like your picture #2, except piled higher. I need to make a small space for working!

2 Likes

The old garage door is out and laying on the grass, the new one is being installed.

Hi Mike, I love my Forney welder . You should see under the covered porch, that’s where the rest of the stuff that was in the garage was put.
It is going to be nice having a tight sealed insulated garage door. It will make is easier to keep some heat in the garage when it cold outside like today. It’s still trying to snow at times.

3 Likes

We got about 9 inches of snow here the other day and it is still only 18 F today so insulated doors sounds like a good investment to me. My case Ingersoll bidirectional wood splitter is in pieces waiting for seals for the cylinder so I am back to the old 3 point hitch splitter. I swapped the hydrolic hoses off the grapple onto it this morning I was just thinking I don’t even remember if I used it after swapping out the control valve a few years back now. I got the little case tractor going and started using that other splitter. Well as the only split wood I have at the moment is green and there is dry wood waiting for me to split it out I go into the cold. Like my uncle always said wood is the only heat which will heat you more then once. Time to fire up that splitter and see if I can get some wood split.

5 Likes

What a difference the new insulated door makes with no windows, nice and warm in the garage now. Better get back working on my gasifier project now.
Bob

9 Likes

Looking good Bob, nothing like a cleaned out garoge too work in, the only problem i have is finding what i moved around, though most of it gets a skid and a tarp till needed.

3 Likes

My big lifestyle change for this winter was getting the remaining 14 teeth I had left yanked out yesterday. They were causing a lot of grief and looked like hell. I had 6 pulled out about a month ago and wanted to use up my insurance before the end of the year. After the healing is complete in a few months I’ll get the dentures made and my new insurance year should cover about half the cost.

7 Likes

Very much off topic BUT I did drive a wood burner and the food was cooked on a wood burner .

Back woods Alabama Saturday night at the neighbors .

Food ,fire and friends . Few pennys spent but $$$ worth of enjoyment .

Merry Christmas everyone .

13 Likes

WOW!!! Why such a short video ??? Does EVERY ONE down there play a string instrument ? I am jealous of you getting to be there and playing the base drum by stomping your foot ( or do you play an instrument that you haven’t told us about— I think I would have remembered that ) Tom c

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom.

Yes , I am a boot stomper.

Many of my friends and family do but I have no talent at all… :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes