Life goes on - Winter 2017

Is that a kilt at 3:49?

1 Like

Haha, no kilts here. Kilt is a Scottish phenomenon only.
What you saw was probably a chaperon used by craftsmen.

2 Likes

Hej JO,

so you are from the Dalarna region in Sweden? Isn’t this region known for the carved horses?
I made my holidays in Scandinavia from time to time and really liked it.

I also grew up with the stories of Astrid Lindgren, maybe because of this I have strong sympathies for Sweden?

Regards,
Til

1 Like

Guten Morgen Til,

Haha, yes we’re known for carved colourful horses and horsemeat smoked sausages :smile:
Yes, I’ve heard Pippi Longstocking is quite famous :smile:
What Scandinavian places did you visit?

Where in Germany do you live? I know very little about Germany but I’ve been passing through a couple of times and I talk to German truckdrivers at work on a daily basis.

1 Like

Hi JO,
I visited some southern parts of Norway and Sweden. In Sweden mostly the area around Stockhom and the the west coast. Also Oslo and Stockholm of course. A bit of Denmark. But because of the distances and limited time not more northern than about the Hardangervidda in Norway and Stockholm in Sweden.

I’m originally from the south western part of Germany, close to the French border and the Black Forest in the river Rhine valley. But know I moved up to the north eastern part, not far away from the baltic sea. About an hour drive in eastern direction from Hamburg.

I don’t know too much about your country either, mostly what I read in travel guides as background knowledge. But I really like the landscape and the friendliness of the people. It’s a bit more relaxed than in Germany.

Have a nice weekend!

3 Likes

In Theory, I live in the Sub-Tropics. Three story massive-passive concrete house with no central heat. We are thinking of firing up the wood stove in the basement.

12 Likes

can we still doubt climate change? :thinking:

3 Likes

Hey, my in-laws are all from Dalarna via Smolen, KS. They have the Dala Horses everywhere. (spelling?)

1 Like

OK, I finally submit to this “winter” idea, But only since I have no choice. All projects are on hold, so after I finish this post I am getting in the car and heading for Sarasota, FL. LOL.

DSCN9766

DSCN9769

DSCN9786

DSCN9785

But it’s not really ALL bad. :smiley:

DSCN9784

DSCN9783

Fun in the snow. Works for a while I guess. Currently at 1 7/8" and still coming down hard. I know, some of you are laughing at that, but I think that’s the most we’ve had since 1993.

Later. Beach or bust.

8 Likes

Billy, glad you are enjoying it! I hear we are in for a cooling cycle the next few years so you might have to get used to it.

3 Likes

This is a picture of my front yard today .

Something fell out of the sky this morning. . It is white and cold and I don;t like it :cry:

Good day to hug the heater .

IMG_0201-001

6 Likes

The world is upside down now you guys beat me to snow and they are predicting the snow here tomorrow will be southern NH so I should miss that too. Which is good because I still have to clean up a mess in the barn so I can put my hay equipment away. I seem to keep getting distracted this year.

I did get my saw mill set up today. But the winch which holds the head up doesn’t have a brake and falls as you try to cut wood… I bought the mill used about 7 years ago I guess and this is the first time I have set it up. I ordered a new winch with a brake it was just over $100. Got to get that pile of logs sawed so I can fix the barn…

6 Likes

Evidently it’s a bass ackward world today. I’m in Montana and started out the day feeding the bulls and breaking ice on the waters wearing only a hoody. By 10:00am I was down to a T-shirt and considered getting rid of my long johns. To be fair I WAS working a little bit setting 8-10 railroad ties by myself.
This little guy was in the yard last night at my house in town.

5 Likes

“What goes up, must come down”
You far south now snowing fellows need to look at the whole North American weather maps.
Their are FOUR; count 'em, High pressure zones parked out in the continental west. All of the central and north pacific low pressure zones, west-to-east traveling weather is getting looped UP across upper British Columbia then falling down far south with arctic air to you’all.
Out here in the coastal far-west we are very rare sunning now for 7 days with another seven lined up.
Sound good? No. Bad. No snow-pacs building in the mountains for next spring/summer.
Continental high pressure air is spilling ouwards out of the mountain passes driving the SoCal wildfires, wilder.

Hey give us back our winter participation.
So as to climate-change. The climate is always in flux. A given. Endure and adapt.
Just like a given every 10-15-20 years doom-and-gloom is sold to suckers for short term pocket profits, by the latest Prophets. Jetting around in 1st ed-you-ma-cated social class to save the Willie’s take lots of sucker money inputs.
Jonney Apple Seed was the real doer, example. Join the Arbor Foundation, get hands dirty planting trees and really make a change in the world.

tree-farmer Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Here’s what it looks like right now. About another week like this and I’d be one happy camper.
Now I’d better go get some plank nailed up before it gets dark.

3 Likes

Well the weather man is clueless as to what is happening here tomorrow. It was a dusting to an inch this morning on the forecast and now they just said 4 to 8 inches. I hope the first forecast is right. I will spend the morning getting my equipment under cover it is too dark now to work on that problem. Hopefully it won’t take to long I should also have a hay customer coming in the morning for 120 bales so that will take a moment to load as well. I can’t complain the snow has held off well this year but it always seems you need another day or two to get ready. Maybe I just have too much I want to get done to improve things… But this year I should be able to put all the hay equipment under cover well all but the mower it is too wide to make it through the 12 foot door. Tried that the first year turns out no matter how hard you try you can’t line a 12’ 6" mower up to fit though a 12 foot door… I did thinking of angling it but figured it wouldn’t come out so well…

3 Likes

Steve, as nice as the weather seems today, I’d surely agree in saying that we definitely need snow. For us no snow and short seasons means fires next year.

4 Likes

Sure glad you all can experience the white blanket down South. Billy, the kids will love it so much you may have to pull up stakes and move up here to God’s country.
Right now it’s dark at 4:30 PM which means my work outside is done early. This afternoon we got about 2" of snow while welding tabs on the shipping container to hold the front wall. The flakes were big enough to make welding a bit difficult.

12 Likes

well now, I can see Billy decided to grow some snow balls after all! :relaxed:

Spent half the day repairing car trailer lights so I can go to an auction tomorrow, scrap metal hunting. The other half installing the tractor injector pump. About one inch of snow here. The weather here has been very typical.

So if any of you have the modern trailer light module for your trailer lights, pull the fuse to turn it off when not using. It will last longer that way. Otherwise it is on all the time and fails in a short amount of time.

3 Likes

Climate change deniers point to a skiff of snow as proof. Edit… (But not using the quote as an example of climate change denial, just an example of weather patterns)… Steve mentions that almost anything is bound to happen every 20 years or so, quite true. From the perspective of those a bit further north the perspective seems to be a bit more uniform. The jet stream is unstable, wobbling wildly. When the arctic was colder, heavy duty cold air kept it tight and circular in the winter, no longer the case. Arctic ocean ice is at a forever low, the heat sinks are fundamentally changing, more energy is in the system. 130km winds burning swaths of California, driven by the wobbling jet stream. Droughts beyond farming hitting parts of the west. Where without frozen ground and added winter snow the region is technically desert or semi desert. And from what I see it’s just starting to flip. Maybe capsize is a better word.

Tally the billions in property and productivity losses, even so far this year, 4 ft rain, hurricanes, fires. Politics has nothing to add to catastrophic loss but diversionary stories.

It looks to me like sitting in a burning house, debating if that smoke smell and singeing feeling mean anything…

5 Likes