Life goes on - Winter 2017

Sorry to hear about the cattle, know what that is like, tough to lose livestock. For me it always seemed like I’d lose my favorite ones.

1 Like

Too bad animal medications are as ridiculously expensive as human medications. Even the anti-flea,tick,heart-worm stuff we give our pets is expensive. Wayne, I will be praying for your good health and that of your family and livestock.
From Jonah, 4:11 (KJV):
And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than six score thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?
Mike :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your cow problems. I always enjoy your DOW trips in the fields to check on them. They are so placid, even the moms and babies.

3 Likes

Wayne like others have said sorry to hear about the cattle. I am looking to pick up a bull myself and I always get a little worried when it comes to adding critters. Hope you can save the rest of them. It is rough when they get sick because just getting a vet to come and look at them here is worth more then the replacement will cost. Seems like farming gets harder all the time.

3 Likes

Those are some kind of Thai pepper that we grow commercially. A local Thai woman has contacts all over Atlanta, Birmingham, Tallahassee, etc. with her friends and family in the restaurant business and she provides us the plants in the spring and then buys peppers by the bucket for good prices. Works out well. Since the produce market opened in town we have switched to more commercial gardening instead of local sales in our stand in the front yard. It is easier to deal with too. Pays for all of our other farming expenses and then some. Also easier to deal with than most crops. Not as fragile. More pest resistant.

Sorry about the cows Wayne. We lost one a few weeks ago with milk fever a couple weeks after she freshened, which seemed a little late. Didn’t get to her fast enough.

3 Likes

No, l ment the plants behing your son holdong the crow.

Wayne, I will be praying in Jesus Name that your Cows will recover to good health, and I know others are praying also. Amen.
Bob

3 Likes

Mary getting ready to go to work this morning. She works one day a week a the thrift store for something to do and of course we had 4" drop last night. We’ve had over 12" of snow in the last 7 days.

11 Likes

No hat or gloves! I am impressed

2 Likes

It wasn’t cold. It was 28 F. Next month on the other hand…

2 Likes

Well Bill, winter has certainly reached your neck of the woods.
They are predicting 3" of snow tomorrow night, hope they are wrong.
Does Mary clear snow off of all your equipment? Looks like you have one of those One In A Millon Women help you there.
Enjoy your winter, you are better prepared for it this year. Good Job on your hard work, you two.
Bob

2 Likes

She’s a good lady.
Maybe next year I’ll talk her into brushing the snow off the machinery.

2 Likes

I got cold today
40 deg, horizontal rain with a few ice pellets

But an hour later the sun was out

3 Likes

The warm Gulf stream tail is still whisking at us. Still only up and down around freezing.
Soon enough the Russians will turn their freezers our way, but I’m prepared. I’ve got 10 cords of dry wood stacked. They won’t stand a chance.

10 Likes

Well, we folow the cold stream and get cold from Swedes :smile: but unlike you, my dry firewood is still stacked outside. I am just cleaning my “boiler room” for 5 year old oak firewood to be drawn in tomorow.

2 Likes

Kristijan, you’re overestimating my indoors storing capabilities :smile: My firewood is outside too. I bring in for a few weeks at the time and I use probably only about 5 of those 10 cords a year.

2 Likes

Winter came to my land north of here October 30th. A few days later it came to the south of the province. Last year on November 7th I was cultivating in a t shirt at 17C. On average winter has been falling mid November. No magic like that this year, now slightly below zero for daytime high, and minus 10 at night. With 10 cm coming in for my land tomorrow.

Makes a fundamental change when the ground freezes and temperatures drop, concrete work, simple mechanical work etc all become far more complicated or not worth it. Not great trailer hauling weather. Things go missing on the ground, not to be seen again till spring. Beautiful if prepared, but if perpetually a month behind like me, you just have to slow down and pick your battles. :slight_smile:

Soon it will be time to think about cutting wood and welding.

8 Likes

A whole lot of truth right there. My backup chainsaw has been MIA since it snowed and now the main saw is broke. I’m seeing a battle.

6 Likes

Bill, Never hurts to having a third chainsaw, except the pocket book. Living off grid like you it would be worth it.
Bob

1 Like

The good junk to make gasifiers with Shed completed.

Put some barrow storage in for pipe and metals.

Would you believe we had all the leaves cleaned up yesterday, and then the storm hit last night with more rain.

Looks like the weather report was right. It snowing up in them hills, looking south at Mission Ridge Ski / Snowboard Resort in the clouds.

My truck is ready for the snow, tarp and bungle straps are on. This keeps the wood and everything in the truck bed area free of snow and ice.

NOW, if I can get all the wood I still have out back cut up and finished bagging, I will be one happy DOW member.
Bob

10 Likes