Life goes on - Winter 2017

Bobmac, I like the barrel storage idea. I can see that out side in a frame with some kind of doors.

One last shopping event until spring:

Interesting videos:

I need to save this video, homemade chipper:

Cheers !

Edit: spelling

8 Likes

Okay Jeff, yes you grabbed my curiosity. Iā€™m sure the ā€˜junkā€™ in the trailer will take shape of gem in the near future. Does it have something to do with your second video? Will the rebak run on charcoal?

1 Like

Hi Bill, no. Two cub cadet transaxles, one standard and one a hydro. I donā€™t like hydro but the axles inside of them are stronger and swap into the standard. Fine spline are stronger than course. Plus there are other parts on the hydro I could use and I wanted to see how they are put together.

I will be making a 4WD small skidder out of cub cadet axles but not in the near future.

I just thought the homemade chipper was worth sharing.

5 Likes

Well fellas, I hate to rub it in too much, but I picked the last watermelon of the year today. Itā€™s 78 F right now. The skid steer finally made it home from job sites. Been out for over two months. So I am Getting the ground work done today for a couple of those eco-shell domes. Weā€™re going to put in two of them for his & hers bathhouses

Started typing this Friday midday but had to go to a funeralā€¦Just now finishing

.DSCN9843DSCN9848

I went to a funeral Thursday of a man who was the last living charter member of the Rescue Squad here in our county. He was a charter member of two of the fire depts. A deacon in his church. Fire Captain,Rescue Captain, pillar of the community, etcā€¦The most pomp and circumstance I ever saw at a funeral. We had a parade of fire trucks and rescue vehicles for 30 miles with as many as 20 rescue vehicles. Maybe 40 other emergency vehicles and 250 personnel staged at attention all along the route. Thousands of people on the roadside with their hats off. Air force honor guard, Taps, bag pipes, Rescue Honor Guard in full dress blues, Last Call ceremony on the police band radio, formal, clean church funeral.

Contrast/compare to another funeral I went to on Friday of a young man I grew up with. He was from a totally different social class of society. The family couldnā€™t afford a ā€œrealā€ funeral so they had a small service at an outdoor chapel at SIFATā€”the missionary training org down the road. The people there were not at all formal. Extremely the opposite. 1/3 of the crowd smoked cigarettes throughout the service. They wore tank tops and flip flops. Obviously people with jobs that are known for being a bit of a rougher crowd. There was little order and no pomp or circumstance at all.

Whatā€™s my point.? Well, as much as these two groups of people were different, what stands out to me is just how much they had in common. I mean these two groups were from two totally different segments of society. Extreme opposite ends of the socio-ecomnomic spectrum. But they both hurt the same over the loss of their people. They all found themselves facing the same truths about life and death and choices and gain and loss. They were all loyal to their people despite their shortcomings and failures. They all felt pain and love and fear and grief. I guess it just reminds me again that we really are all the same despite the ideas of some ignorant people.

7 Likes

Hey, you know, I am not sure. You tell me. I have been wondering what it is. the seed came in in a load of wood chip mulch and I put it in that little spot to control it until I figure out what it is.

1 Like

This I like a lot. (Your initial weather report - not so much :wink:)

3 Likes

Try to crush a leaf with your finger. If it is cardamom it shuld scent strongly like cinamon. A great scent.
Otherwise, you just got your self a nice flower :smile:

1 Like

Yes. Yes. Wonderful wisdom you have put up BillyN.
Children. Family. Good friends relationships are what weā€™all have in common.
Focus on respecting those in your own lives, in others ā€œculturesā€ is what is respectful, binding.
This other marchings, screechings, pulling-downs are all just so dis-respectful it make me cry. Cry why we humans in all societies and times, keep century after century, keep making the same dis-respectful mistakes; with the same disruptive rippling out disastrous results.
All of the greats said peace and respect was the way to go.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

00o0o_iAYoFKHHWa4_600x45000U0U_4Rm3dzU430l_600x450
Just got home with my new bull. Those are the photos from the Craigslist add it is dark and rainy here so my barn doesnā€™t take good photos now. He was a bit more wound up then I want to see in a bull but seeing how they handled him at his last home I think he will calm right down and fit into my herd fine. Some people just donā€™t really know how to handle animals they move too fast and get the cows all excited for nothing. It always amazes me how much easier they move if you just give them a minute to relax then move them along when they get excited. Oh well I got him in the trailer down there and no one got hurt getting him out with my cows was easy and I am sure in a week or 2 he will be just a relaxed and easy to deal with as the last bull I had. No signs of him being mean just excited which is easy enough to work with. He is 15 months old which is about perfect because my cows should calve anytime now. One thing I need to do this fall done. I am still looking for some yearlings to build up my heard but the bull is important as he fathers all the next calves. So now I have 10 cows that is a far cry from the 50 i want to build up to and less then half what I have feed for right now. So I am thinking I can swing about 6 more this fall plus the 9 females I have should have 9 calves that will give me a nice group.

9 Likes

Getting some of my projects rounded up before the snow gets to deep. Two garden tractor to part out. I might make a small fork lift out of the WH hydro for Dad. He would use it to pick big chunks of firewood and set it on the splitter. Snow plow needs a skid steer plate weld on it, Iā€™ll scrap the frame. The tongue to the right is the Chomper, needs a good size welding repair and splitting cylinder replace or repaired. The old band saw head will be converted into a log turned, hand winch type.

Got go, big store, rotation, twister near by, 70mph, later

5 Likes

It doesnā€™t seem to smell like cinnamon. I guess iā€™m just another pretty faceā€¦:smile:

Hey I figured out how to post text on drop box. Below is a link to pics the other is the our ADAPTech newsletter 11/5/17

1 Like

Twister was 15 miles north of me. Worst is over but will not know how others are until day break.

They donā€™t make them like this any more, iron, yum yumā€¦

Cub Cadet transaxle.

3 Likes

There was a video I saw about 2 years ago now if a auto loader for a splitter. It was just a simple set of L beams one down and one across at 90 degrees off the splitter frame with a hydraulic cylinder to pick it up level with the beam. Roll the log onto the L and then pull the lever to raise it. Worked really well and use the same hydraulics the splitter used with one more spool valve. I thought that was really cool and simple. I did think there should be a stop on the other side to hold the wood from rolling off. Anyway just an idea I wanted to share would be a quick fix. I use a loader tractor to 1/4 the big stuff but always feel like I waste a ton of fuel.

1 Like

Looks kinda Christmasy, Billy, not that Iā€™m pushing the seasons.

Wow Jeff you make my projects seem like little ones. Lol
Hope you get them done before the snow flies. I didnā€™t make it on all my outside projects. But did save projects that I can work inside the garage that do not require welding, like my simple fire charcoal project. The DOW Northerns getting ready for winter cold weather.
Bob

2 Likes

Dan, a long time ago we built a splitter just like that but it would be difficult to install that on this splitter. It is hinged for the larger stuff and not a lot of room or metal to work with. The fuel isnā€™t a problem with a 6.5HP easy to start clone engine. Plus the tiny fork lift could gather the large rounds that are scattered around. Plus Iā€™m sure it could be used for other chores. Reverse the seat and controls and the small fork lift on the rear axle.

Bob, the only project that needs to be done before too much snow blows in is the snow blade. The tac plate is ordered.

Well, it was an EF-1 tornado north of me. Two died when the basement wall caved in on them. Then after the rescue people left the robbers clean the house out. :anguished: South of me was worse damage!

1 Like

Jeff that sound like a great plan and a very useful lift to have around. If you add in some lock pins when it is up if could double as a work lift as well. You can never have too many ways to lift things.

Dan, a portable welding work bench, out side.

1 Like

Hey JeffD
ā€œyourā€ regional events hit the national news.
Always surprises the never-experienced just how much energy can be transferred in energize densified moving air.
Same with flowing waters.
Out here in the mountains it is often nice, pretty snows-pacs that catches the never-exprenced. 35 degrees as being the killer slopes.
All of these once gone past just the made/left behind jumbled debris to show that they ever existed.

Glad you were in the least impacted area.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

Thanks SteveU !
Of course I feel for the people that did not fair so well. This would be a bad time to start putting buildings back together.

It is a shame that hundreds of broken trees are going to go to wast. Sure would be nice to work full time in putting them to use. Hmm, fuel, lumber and soil food.

4 Likes