Life goes on - Winter 2017

Hi Pépé

It is very pleasant to see such a spectacle at this time of the year. This gives the taste of playing with his bees … summer

Richard Lemieux is a Frenchman. Do you have Québécois ancestors?

You speak French?

I sometimes go to the Vermon. I love this region it is very beautiful and very kind people

Thierry

4 Likes

Kristijan, check this out, he only keeps wild swarms, and uses no mite control, or medications, and never has lost a hive . http://www.horizontalhive.com/index.shtml

3 Likes

Hi Thierry,
I grew up in Tupper Lake, NY. Most of my fathers relatives lived in the Montreal area.
My mother was born in Czechoslovakia and spoke basically Hungarian (grandfather was
Hungarian and served in the Hungarian cavalry in WW1). My other grandfather and dad spoke French. Sadly English was pushed in the family so I don’t speak either.
It was easy for them to keep a secret from us kids :zipper_mouth_face:
I’m in Mooers Forks, NY, probably close to your way to Vermont. If you’d like to stop in for a visit let me know. I haven’t met anyone here that even knows what gasification is.
Pepe

4 Likes

Mike, I love that movie, Field Of Dreams, Kevin Costner.

1 Like

I will not fail to visit you the next time I visit your area. I would like to see your vegetable garden and obviously your gazogene construction

Thierry

3 Likes

It is among others for this kind of rigid regulation that I left the Western Europe in 1989. Everything is complicated in Europe. I thought that the countries of Eastern Europe were spared from this buraucrassie

A simple trick, trap a swarm. Quite easy, like Pepe, a swarm is not aggressive (do not be impressed by the numerous bees … they are usually sweet). It was enough to pick the bunch of bees in your future hive. To be delicate, to avoid crushing too many bees so as not to make them run away

I know that there is a high density of hives in Slovenia, finding swarms in summer should be easy

If you see one this summer I will give you other information to harvest it.
Bees is another wonderful world … like DOW :smiley:

4 Likes

I like the making a wild hive idea, just build them a place, and harvest it when you want some honey, let the bees do their thing , keep finding a new swarm , have a few hives on the property.
Bob

3 Likes

Bob
when I had my first hives I could do that. Nowadays, if I do not take care of my bees, I lose them (I process with formic acid and oxalic acid every year).

2 Likes

Horse power and wood was mentioned in another thread. This is kind of what I visualize.

3 Likes

We have bee suits, so I guess we could try that although the thought of messing with a swarm seems a daunting task to me!

2 Likes

Swarms are very mellow, bellies full of honey. If you get stung it would be from accidentally pinching a bee. Given what a nucleus colony costs, that’s money hanging in a tree.

4 Likes

If you just want the bees for pollination, you might be able to get around regulations by saying that the bees just moved into a hollow log without any action on your part.

For those of you who are still on the fence about jumping into gassification, here is an interesting graph. 21 large oil & gas companies have a price-to-earnings ration of greater than 190–1 This includes Haliburton.

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/113674/believing-impossible

6 Likes

Good article, the fellow breaks down the issues of real wealth from monetary wealth, and brings back into focus that all real wealth comes from resources in the natural world, money isn’t food or energy. We’re definitely in a precarious position, and a lot of people likely will suffer very badly in the end.

2 Likes

to do things concretely demystifies.:grin:

Gary, by NATURE, our strongest alliances are genetic. We support our family, our clan, our tribe. A nation is by it’s very nature, not natural. A nation is held together by mutual prosperity and / or a mutual enemy. Mutual prosperity is fast leaving. That leaves us with a “terrorist” under every rock. By nature, your best investment is; in your family. As prosperity departs, your “trust horizon” will shrink down to your family. Invest in family solidarity.

5 Likes

To keep life intersting Wife and I go out of our way to do diifnert things approriate to the seasonal time of the year.
Bad weather here in early December had us hunkerd-up so she surprized me with getting us both Ancestry.com mail-in DNA kits. Ha! She beat me too it! I was going to get us the other brand-name kit.
Then weeks waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

Weather improved. While most of you’all mid-west/south/east US deep froze/iced-up we warmed too much. Snow levels rose so we were able to trip up to our mid mountains river cabin property in early January. Usually 3-4 feet of snow and I no longer maintain a high clearance 4x4 for deep winter visiting up there.
'Nother week passed and still no DNA ancestry results.
Shhhh. When you all were the coldest, iciest we sunshined here with days of sometimes mid-60’s F.
So another full day driving trip back up to Lewis county where I once settle-in and would much prefer to live so I could show her that IF we could ever relocate to this more than 2-hours from Portland, Or/Seattle WA intentional airports and sea ports areas she could social/culture time warp back to a slower paced 70’s/80’s-like reasonable area. Not over-growth, over-build frenzy.
Too far out from the dense city Urban’s for their money to warp things impossible for rural-practicals.
No way. No how, is she leaving this home valley with two generations of her family buried. And our own plots, marked out, reserved, and bought. Sigh.

DNA results finally came through this last few days.
Surprise. Surprise. Surprise. SHE is mostly Eastern European. Then English. Then Irish/Scots/Welsh. With minor 1-3% out of the Adriatic areas. NO Cherokee Indian regardless of old family pictures and stories.
So the new Ukrainian/Romanian American-citizen woman identifying with her have been maybe right regardless of her protestations: no, it is my Native American that you are seeing.

Me. Surprise. Surprise. Surprise.
40+% Scandinavian. NO family stories on that! 35% English. That is in two branches of family names. Then the expected near teens % of Irish/Scots/Welsh. My 1-3% dribbles are Iberian peninsula.
NO German indicated. No Russian indicated. Flies in the face of my family stories.

SO. I WILL BE GETTING KITS FROM THAT OTHER DNA COMPANY TOO.

My long jabber point.
Never, ever trust one source inputs!!
2nd and 3rd source Verify, verify, verify.

Oh. Our listed into North America immigration groups initially settled into for her into nw North Carolina. Then spread to mountainous Kentucky/Tennessee.
Me. Directly into mountainous Kentucky/Tennessee. The spread generation by generation farther west.
Lots and lots of 3rd and 4th cousins indicated back there for both of us. Whew. We are not unknown cousins.
Hi, old-world cousins J.O., MaxG and others.

Hi to all of my east of me, Cousins
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

8 Likes

I know all my ancestors back to early 1600s by name. Notes from old church books. No Unruhs :smile: All of them poor farmers and soldiers. All of them born within the province of Dalarna.
However, even though Dalarna has been a rather isolated valley for hundereds of years we have quite a lot of Scottish influence from earlier Viking movements. Old, hardly understandable accents with a lot of Scottish words in them are still used.

7 Likes

Yeah. Yeah. The genes get passed back too! Gals taken back home.
One of my 3%'s was Iberian peninsula. Family stories are a bit of black Irish in our mix. I figure nothing directly from Spain. Some poor Spanish Armada sailor storm sunk and washed up onto the Irish coast way back when. The black-Irish meant; darker skin, brown eyes and black hair. Maybe an updrift fellow or gal from old Florida/Spain adventured up into the mid-Atlantic mountains area.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

4 Likes

Steve, this was wery fun to read! Reading your surname, l never wuld dubt it being of Germanic origin.
I have great interest in genetics, langueges, names and stuff like this. Thanks for posting.

Well things are not so simple when it comes to the family tree. There are 3 sides to it.
The Official, written in old church books and documents. The most slopy one.
The family mouth to ears one, better, but still there are secrets kept with every generation.
And, the genetic. Nope, no dubt here.

We are all grownups so we all know how this works, althugh its a delicate subject.
A local historycal fact says in medieval times every bride had to ask the landlord for alowance for marydge. Legend has it there is a county on the Slovenian-Croatian border where everyone is related to the Duke Henrik ll, the monarch that rulled the ground in the 16th century. I think you know why :wink:

A nother, more recent fact is WW2. The invading Nazzis left their DNA here too. Not by free will of local people. So did comunists and other partys. Turkish invaders in the old ages.
This kind of genetic diversitation is far from plesant, but sometimes bennefitial.
There is a isolated mountain valey with quite some residants, not far from where l was born. 200 years ago there were mainly just 2 surnames in the valey. Every one was at least a bit related with each other. The valey vilige wuld become extinct as there were more and more cases of genetic disorders. The story was saved with Bosnians migrateing there to work in lime burning. They refreshed the genes.

5 Likes

And don’t forget the many wars in Europe from the Roman empire and even earlier on. That brought soldiers and folks from very different countries together. And terrorizing the local people, especially women, was often regarded as a part of the war.
Thankfully this behavior is now a war crime according to the UNO Charter. Of course I know that is often violated, but at least the majority of nations once agreed the human rights even during a war.
The reason for the foundation of the UNO was WW2 and the war crimes the Nazis committed.

And also don’t forget that there has been migration ever since. People have always moved around, due to poverty, wars, hunger and a bunch of other reasons.

5 Likes