Life goes on - Winter 2017

I love steam. I am looking for a simple design for a low volume cold water injector to build an on-demand steam generator to run a water pump and/or a small fan for a coffee bean drier.

If anyone has any ideas…

Hi Billy, what are you going to fire it with?

rocket chimmeney probably

Hi Mike, yes plan to drive there. 400 mi each way. Always a big crowd, hope it don’t rain. I’m afraid Argos will be hard to do this year. Just too much going on.

1 Like

What we call Laplander´s mold have been falling every day this week. I´ve been feeding the old Fergie more gasoline than the Rabbit required all year. Father in law reported measuring a 4 feet depth yesterday.
Not as bad as 1998 when 3.5 feet was dumped over night, but close.

6 Likes

cool video. I like how everyone is just going about their lives only with 1.3 metres of snow on everything. What Ferguson do you have?

It´s a 1947 gasoline. First year brought to Sweden. 20 hp 75 years ago. Maybe about 15 now if I´m lucky :smile: Good thing is it´s a zero maintenance machine.

8 Likes

With the continental engine or the standard? I have the 53 tea20 with the standard engine. They do tend to keep going.

1 Like

I think I remember we´ve been over this before, you and I. At the time I tried to investigate the difference between continental and standard engines. As I remember it I thought I came to the conclution I had a standard engine. Searching all over the internet now it seems to be a continental :smile:
Does your Fergie get to do any work these days?

1 Like

Uhg I forgot… Right now no. I’m picking up new front tires Tuesday. I usually don’t snow plow with it I use the snowblower. Hopefully plowing this spring.

1 Like

Well the good news is if you figure out which old motor it is you can get all the parts to rebuild them now. Restoring old tractors has become a pretty common hobby now. I think it is because they are one of the few simple machines people can still take apart in a home shop.
I am working on rebuilding my 3 tractor here on the farm. Both my Allis Chalmers D15 and D17 have been completely rebuilt and the pasquali is now sitting with a rebuilt motor and transmission waiting for me to get a chance to put it all back together and then split the rear end to see why the locking rear end won’t lock. Then some paint and hydraulics work and it will be running. It seems to take me about 1 year to really go through a tractor. But I am fussy and want things right and then modified to my personal way of using them. Typically the big mod is a modern hydraulic system.

4 Likes

Sorry for you JO. Looks like some nightmares I’ve had. :blush:

1 Like

I used steiner in the states which caused confusion since American tea20 used the ford continental flat top. Mine was british built and used the standard ohv type engine. I ended up with the wrong sized starter ring gear and thetie rod ends had the wrong thread to them. Knowing what I know now I would use one of the UK online sites as they were way more knowledgeable about my British made fergie. It’s the route I will take for my David Brown which needs a ring job… of course it still runs and has probably needed that ring job for 30 years​:smiley::joy:

3 Likes

For a David Brown i would contact Messicks in the USA. They are the best case dealer I have seen and they will source aftermarket parts for you. As much as I am all for aftermarket parts they are the one dealer I will just go online or call because I have been unable to do better on any New Holland parts they sell.

2 Likes

Haha! Don´t be. I feel lucky. It´s the most practical and reliable tractor there is :smile:

Mine is ohv alright. I switched to a rebuilt head in my teens (35 years ago :astonished: )

1 Like

JO, I was not talking about your tractor, I think it’s great. I have a 1947 International H myself… It’s the snow that I don’t like. hahaha

1 Like

Oh really :innocent:
Haha, that makes more sense :smile:

My H is a 1950 but it needs everything. My grandfather bought it new and rebuilt the motor once. But the motor was worn out back in 92 which was the last time we used it. I am seriously thinking about converting the H to an electric tractor. It is the one tractor I have that I don’t need right now.

1 Like

When I was growing up, ours was on propane. That’s what I learned to drive on when I was about 6. We mostly used it to move mobile homes and drill wells back then.
I swithched it back to gasoline about 2001 to start farming sorghum for syrup. It’s been in my brother’s barn for a number of years now. He gave it to my son Jakob who wants to fix it up…like 467 other pieces of machinery.

2 Likes

I’ve got a 1937 H. The 500th built. It was built at the same time I was born. TomC

4 Likes