Life goes on - Winter 2017

I know this is what the guys at my buddies junkyard had to use on a loader tire that eather would not do. They barrowed it from the tire shop just two days ago

I used a ratchet strap one of the big wide ones put it around the tread and as tight as you can get it that will squash the tread and force the bead out close then a regular air compressor will set the bead. At which point I remove the air remove the strap and blow the tire up. I have done a few tractor tires like that without any trouble. I was told to use the torch trick but I though my strap looked a lot safer.

3 Likes

I used chains and or straps with crow bar twisting too tighten the chain for years,now that i know the gas or start fluid trick i like it, no fidleing around, just make sure fingers are out away from the bead or they will be gone on ignition.I am glad i seen the vidio of useing flame extention too ignight, much safer than the propane torch that could get caut in the bead.

1 Like

You want the rim bolted to the tractor before you do it. I have seen it done with a tire on the ground and it jumped up like crazy.

2 Likes

A guy at the tire shop here is not satisfied unless he can make a truck tire jump waist high off the floor.

Yeah, that’s fun, but it’s hard on the tires. You end up with broken belts more often that way.
Our ether—(starting fluid) doesn’t work well anymore. Propane and O2 is the cheapest but the hardest to get right… probably the most dangerous too.

I’ve had to do this crap all of my life and it STILL makes me nervous! LOL
Sometimes you get in a bind or find a tire that just refuses to bead and that’s fine, but if I can find a safer way that doesn’t cost me to much time, that’s the way I’m doing things.
I’ve watched kids with a can of ether going like they were trying to kill a bees nest or something and was real proud that it wasn’t the same stuff we had 40 years ago.

2 Likes

@don_mannes I remember you once asked me about fences you saw in one of my DOW videos. A residual product from thinning spruce forest. This is how they are made.

And one of Max Gasman´s fellow-countrymen doing the same. Don´t mind the talking. I don´t understand a single word either.

7 Likes

JO, is the fire just to remove the fingers from the branch or to heat treat the wood? I know some people flame treat axe handles to toughen them up.

Nice videos, thanks.

1 Like

Using branches you have to heat them to make them flexible or they will crack. Fingers will fall off anyway eventually. Using young sprigs, heat treating is not nessessary. They are often even split (1.45 vid.2) before tied.

4 Likes

Thanks JO; Those were very interesting videos and of course I had to then go on and watch another hour of the “suggested” videos. I have been trying for two days to get some videos up, with no success. These videos from you side of the pond, seem to almost be professional productions.TomC

2 Likes

Making flexible wood… Hmm, maybe the green wet in the limb turns to steam. Steamed wood.

3 Likes

Wood is a composite material composed mainly out of cellulose and lignin. While cellulose is not heat affected, lignin acts like plastic once heated. Partialy melts when hot and holds its shape once cooled. A technic widely used here mainly for oak wine barrel making. They wuld stack and rim the individual stright oak boards on the bottom lid, then start a fire in the barrel. Once the wood is hot enough, it can be shaped to that clasic roundish shape. We used to make skiis out of left over boards :wink:

10 Likes

That is valuable information. To make out side lumber torrefied lumber is starting to catch on.

Tone wood to.

Ya gotta love wood. From gas to music, all things wood.

4 Likes

everybody needs to get back in shape right ?
i did get a boxing bag, just for the fun of punching and trowing some swing, excellent for the neck…
Then again… the cat loves to put some weight on my shoulders…

4 Likes

I found this video interesting .

I wonder how long from light up to driving ?

8 Likes

@Til might be the most qualified to answer that question

I’m surprised they didn’t become more popular during WWII when petro became scarce. By then they had the design pretty well perfected and they had a supply of coal. TomC

1 Like

Planing on attending the Mother Earth News Fair in Belton TX. Feb 17 & 18
Hope to see you there.

3 Likes

Carl,
Thanks for the link, I did not know there were so many exhibitors! Are you driving / showing the Dakota?