Life goes on - Winter 2017

I just hope it gets here before summer.

3 Likes

It seem itā€™ll be a while before any real spring gets here. Still -15C early mornings and just above melting point in the afternoon. Dogs love it though. They no longer have to rely on shoveled trenches for playing.

EDIT: Oh, and the wood business.
This winter has been colder than usual. I started burning next winterā€™s firewood supply already a month ago, but not a single btu of ā€œartificialā€ heat has been added so far.
However, ever since I managed to free the the solar panels from snow, for the past week or so, they cover 25-50% of the heat needed. I expect to be able to shut the boiler down completly in a few weeks time. Thatā€™s when I start cheating a little bit and let the electric heater add a few degrees to the tap water on cloudy days.

8 Likes

I just got the last of the snow melted off the garden yesterday. Found some onions spinach and strawberries greening up underneath. Some beds the frost is gone. I e ven planted peas,onions , spinach and swis chard and covered back up with straw and clear poly. Soil temp 40 f at 8" depth. Most of the yard is still under 15" of snow. I have spread wood ash on the garden at the right times this spring to help the sun melt off the snow. I believe that the two feet deep rotted wood and leaves buried 2 years ago is still composting and helping here.
The weather but man is now threatening us with 6-10" of new snow tonight. I have a few tricks left to melt it fast if needed.magic black dust really works well.

6 Likes

Ha, l see winter is persistant in Sweden! Here we are starting to see some pink crawl out of apricot flower buds :blush:

5 Likes

Oh, I was under the impression apricot was equator jungle fruit. Iā€™m only familiar to apples and carrots (which are usually ready before frost) :smile:

4 Likes

Happy Easter all. We are heading down to the cities to celebrate with our family.

2 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bill

Hope you and family have a good Easter. Hope you donā€™t freeze !

It is 50 now and should be 75 before the day is out.

2 Likes

Happy Easter to all. Mr Wayne it looks like your eggs are safe. I have to gather them a few times a day to protect from freezing. Easter egg hunt every day. The chickens think it is time to save a clutch for hatching. I am all for it but still a couple months early.

3 Likes

With apologies to our frozen nothern folk, Iā€™m shifting us to the Summer 2018 thread.

2 Likes