Life goes on - Winter 2017

To each his own. I’d much rather sweat than shiver.

1 Like

I always figured I could put another layer on in the winter. You can only take so much off in the summer. Lol. It is a good thing I don’t mind working in the cold too much because my fire wood is still log length so I think it will be a long winter. Too many projects and one of me to do them all.

4 Likes

I’m with you, Billy! However, I’m stuck in New Hampshire for many other wonderful reasons. Cathy and I will actually be in Kenya next week to learn more about sustainable ecological sanitation. The temps there will be in the upper 70s, yeah!

3 Likes

Watching cross-country skiing from a cold and snowy Finland. Even the American competitors are sweating. If you just work hard enough you don´t ever need to shiver :wink:

9 Likes

I think it is time to move on. Hot in the south and cold in the north, just the way it is. Come to think about it, I should change my tune. Talk down the cold north and encourage as many people, as possible, to move south…

:relaxed:

4 Likes

I’ve got an Amish friend who says, “The heat is in the tools, you have to work them to get it out.” Yeah, But I’ve shivered many times while working. Then you sweat and get even colder.

Hey Jeff, I was trying to help you out there…haha. But you’re right, that’s just how it is. Sorry, I just can’t help feeling sorry for you guys when I see your pics of projects int he snow. I’ll try to better keep my pity to myself…

2 Likes

In the winters cold climate, sweating is the problem that I have when when skiing, snowboarding, shoveling snow. Just working in general of my body. I sweat then I get cold. I think I can just think about some kind of physical work and I can start sweating. I have to change clothing a lot in the winter time, to stay warm. I stay away from wearing cotton type clothing in the winter. Wool blends of clothing for me.
Bob

4 Likes

I designed my house with lots of windows on the east and south sides. In the winter when it is cold out in the shop the sun is low in the sky and fills all three bed rooms and the full living room with warm sun light. Awful hard to get up in the warm sun and think of going out to that cold shop. And then there is that couch in the living room where I “sometimes” take a siesta after lunch. By 2or 3 o’clock the sun is disappearing from the couch and I think it is time to go to the shop. But oh heck, it is getting dark outside— I’ll go out tomorrow. TomC

7 Likes

Almost finished with the wind break in the barn. I just have to install the hinges for the4 foot gate inside the barn. It was getting dark inside when I stopped and put up the gate and plywood on the other side. It sure does make a big difference in the barn with that closed up. It isn’t pretty but I was able to do it all with scraps that where kicking around. Besides the cows won’t mind. Now that this project is done I can split some wood and setup my saw mill and start processing that pile of logs. Always something to do. I hope my pasquali parts will come soon and I can start putting that back together. Oh and I still have to get some work done in the other barn and put my equipment away before it snows. Man I am soo busy… Oh well one thing at a time.

9 Likes

SteveU, got my sheet of ply, thought I would start with one sheet. I cut it in half so that it is easier to handle. I have a different idea for the barrels but will need it for working under machines and for now it is being used to cover the barrels.

Billy, it might be too hot, for me, down south but you have a lot nicer tax code than up here! In other words I’ve been working on an outside storage box to store my little backhoe attachment, plus other stuff. First I had to make some room in the shop.

The project was sucking up way too much time so I decided to kick it out side before the sides/doors where added. I cleared a spot, leveled and rounded up some cement blocks. I did a lot of work and spent time on this location just to bury the skid steer in the mud. Dang, total wast of valuable time and it is starting to get dark. Hope I didn’t damage the skid steer!! I should of known better!

The first flat spot I played my eyes on became it’s new home. That was a lot easier.

Put the stick (backhoe attachment) in it’s new home and tossed a canvas over it until I can put the sides on. Made some room in the shop and quickly moved a junk Cub in to take apart later. Filled back up but at least the space in the shop is more productive.

6 Likes

Don’t worry those skid steers are tough it will be fine I have lost them in the mud so bad before you can’t get them out with the bucket. Normally that was just off the edge of the cement and when you put the bucket down and tried to push it back the back of the skidsteer would hang up on the cement. Then you feel like an idiot having to get someone to pull it out while you drive because you can’t drag the old JD skid steers we had when I was a kid. I miss them things but honestly my pasquali is a lot harder to get stuck…

2 Likes

Dan, those are nice tractors. I would have one but they go for big bucks around these parts.

Just in case some one is planing to match up and engine to something this SAE bell housing and flywheel link was posted on the Forestry Forum.

2 Likes

It took me 2 or 3 years to find one i could afford. I got a 988 which was smoking pretty bad for $2500 i used it for a couple of years until the motor just gave up. Now it is all torn apart. I just got the transmission back together. Well ok my friend who is a mechanic finally got the transmission back together it took more skill then I have. It had a couple of bearings in the transmission I needed to replace and the throw out bearing was junk so I am hoping it is way nicer when I get it back together. I think when all is said and done I might be in it for $5000 total but it will be completely rebuilt. I am making a couple of modifications. Once I get back to working on it I will have to dig up the thread i started on it and document my modifications to the hydraulics.

2 Likes

Since we’re talking about the cold…

I never get tired of this nearly 100 year old short story by Jack London:

3 Likes

That is also one of my favorite stories
Bad things can happen’ and you may not win

3 Likes

Here is a custom builder of snow dogs.

https://m.facebook.com/BestTracksled/?refid=13

2 Likes

Sunday 11:30. Sun is showing for a couple of hours. Hurry, hurry!

8 Likes

Wanna trade. I thinks it’s supposed to be clear and nice here, the down side is right now it’s dark out and by the sounds of things outside the bulls have decided to tear down a fence and are now fighting in the middle of my yard.
So here’s the deal…You come put my bulls away and fix the fence and I’ll come suffer through all that snow you have. :grin:

1 Like

That is why I only keep 1 bull. Steers are much easier to work with. Hope you keep safe while working around those fighting bulls.
You might need to call the local cement factory to build a new bull proof fence…

2 Likes

The ranch that I work for has just over 100 bulls and I take care of all them in the wintertime, plus about 325-350 of the ranches cows. I keep the old bulls at the base of the mountain and the young ones stay in a pasture near my house so I can keep them healthy.
Right now we are just finishing up finding any strays and have them plus the culls in my corals, so the bulls are just wanting to be bulls and act out a little.

As for cement…They’ve already shut down the batch plant here due to the cold weather coming or I’d be pouring footings and a pad for a shop at my house in town today. Instead HOPEFULLY I get a chance to go cut some burls and make a little side money today.

4 Likes