Life goes on - Winter 2018

Sorry, I didn’t realize he is 10 years not 9.

4 Likes

Merry Christmas to everyone from NH.
Good news here my mother has been in a nursing home for about 6 months but was able to come home yesterday. Hopefully her health will continue and she will be able to stay.
That is the big news from here everything else is pretty much life as normal on the farm. The cows are all doing well. Mostly focused on working up some wood for the fire and barn repairs this time of year.

6 Likes

My Christmass day is over, you guy’s on the other side of mother earth, just starting to unwrap your presents…

Enjoy the day, start with some music and the best wishes from the other side…

10 Likes

This morning less 5 degrees outside, but thanks to my stove, 25 degrees to work, great comfort to weld, although I still have no insulation on the walls, the wood frame is already efficient with joints silicone.

8 Likes

Update on Bryce.
Here’s the most recent message from Bryce’s mom:

God is exceedingly, abundantly providing, guiding, healing, and caring for us! God has blessed us beyond measure! Bryce is the strongest person I know! He was able to have the c-collar removed this morning, allowed to go on an unrestricted diet, and has even gotten out of bed this morning and is now sitting in a chair! The neurological and spine team has said their services are no longer needed! He has wound vacs on his head and arm and is covered with stitches and bruises from head to toe but is not complaining at all. He just wants to be able to go home. We don’t know how long it will be before that can happen and we are not trying to rush it. He still has more surgeries ahead of him but we are taking it day by day. There are no words to describe how great God is and how blessed we are! Thank you for all your continued prayers!

13 Likes

smoking deer hams. First time using my hand me down(from my son) iPhone.

11 Likes

Trapped indoors feeding the woodburners, watching youtube and dreaming of spring.

I love this forwarder. It’s a Volvo BM Victor, 2 cyl 33hp diesel. (@TomC’s favorite stomp beat tractor).
This man rebuilt it into a 6WD forwarder during winter 1967-68 and worked it for 100,000 hours ever since. Skipped front axle and a 1942 Scania truck rear end.
He claims this tractor takes less fuel than his chainsaw, only one liter an hour.
Since this old tractor has a fixed pto rpm to the crank, a separate gearbox is installed for the rwd. Enables this machine to make 65 degree sharp turns.

9 Likes

Those machines ( I think they are called “forworders”) are very popular around here. Many are attached to farm tractors or bull dozers, but only the commercial built have the drive on the trailer. ( None sound as good as this two cylinder engine) TomC

4 Likes

Update on Bryce:

My two oldest boys drove to Birmingham yesterday to visit Bryce. They got a little more of the story. He and his brother had been in the creek bottom. When they came out into the field/yard near their house, the dogs began “attacking” or moving toward them with obvious ill intent. He sent his brother to get help and charged the dogs so his brother could escape.
The dogs knocked him down and he fought with them until help came. One great dane got his head and face, another got an arm, and the third one of his legs and tried to pull him apart. The fourth chewed on his foot.

When the father, mother and grown sister arrived. The dogs attacked them also so The dad had to fight off a continuing attack with a pipe while the ladies evac-ed the boy. John (father) said it felt just like a combat situation. Both (mom & dad) were army mp’s who fought in Iraq, John was a combat Marine in Somalia before that.

He is anxious to go home but still has bad wounds that need the wound vac contraption. They keep doing surgeries to reconstruct everything. He can only use one arm for now. They are pretty confident he’ll regain use of it pretty much completely.
The dogs have to go before the county judge so he can decide if they “pose a sufficient threat to the community as to require eradication”. Seems like a waste of time to me, but that’s how the system keeps working I guess.

8 Likes

Thanks for the update Billy. Our prayers continue.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s riduculous. I think more reasonable practice would be to shoot them immediately to get brain tissue samples to check for rabies.

4 Likes

How can anyone with an atom of gray matter think those dogs are not a threat???
What do they need, dead bodies!!!? They almost had them, not to mention the new life
long fear of dogs like I have from being attacked and bitten on the face. I was 9 years
old and just can’t shake it. Damned irresponsible dog owners just make me want to take up arms.
Sorry, but that’s what I was left with. I’m sure those folks would agree with me.

5 Likes

Unfortunately people train “guard dogs” to be mean to all other people then the owners and then act surprised when the dog actually attacks someone. It is a practice which drives me nuts.
Animals behave is a direct reflection of the owners treatment of them for the most part.

6 Likes

I expect it’s just a legal step that has to be taken before they put them down.
If not, the dogs will undoubtedly disappear soon anyway.

5 Likes

I will ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

2 Likes

B illy, we will continue to pray for Bryce also .

3 Likes

Shooting an animal that is possibly a rabies victim, wild or domestic, it is recommended that you avoid a head shot for the reasons Gary mentioned. Tissue samples.

3 Likes

Yeah. Not a spine shot either. Keep all of that cerebral-spinal fluid inside, enclosed.Not spattering out.
S.U.

3 Likes

Not to mention infection risk…

2 Likes

Still praying for Bryce and the whole family.
Bob

4 Likes