Life goes on - Winter 2018

I figure languages are about the most useful thing they could teach in school. The teaching has to be decent too though, and that’s where schools here take all the joy out of it, teaching so painfully slow, when kids should be able to manage a language in 6 months. I hated school language education, they “study” a language like it was ancient history, instead of applying it, which is the only point. I can’t explain English or Spanish conjugation, I just know what sounds right. What is a past participle anyways?.. :wink:

They do say that speaking a second language protects against Alzheimer’s, seems to build more parallel neural pathways. A great hobby anyways, opens so many doors.

3 Likes

I will stand corrected. I very easily could be confused with Norway or Finland… I could be even more confused because they weren’t necessarily mandatory. I think we had the option of French or Spanish in high school. Which is far from the ideal of learning a second language at a young age.

2 Likes

That’s the problem with every other language apart from English - you very seldom hear them. TV and internet are full of English language. Most kids learn a lot more English on their own than they do in school.
Also the learning curve is exponential, which means I will never learn French. If you square zero you still end up with zero :smile:

3 Likes

French seems to have little positive reinforcement.

Here it’s mandatory in the schools, where they start far too late, let unqualified people teach it, and generally beat all the joy of learning a language out of it. Also potential to use it is limited.

A qualification for many government jobs seems to be the main point.

1 Like

Although i’m swedish, i couldn’t speak it but in my hometown i remember older folk could some.

1 Like

Hi Ernie,
I never realised you are Swedish too.
1/3 of our population crossed the pond and never returned 100+ years ago. There should be quite a few descendents by now.
Do you know where in Sweden your ancestors lived?

My family has a book that tells about it but i’m not sure. I can find out over holidays…

1 Like

The Gävle goat still stands!

A Christmas miracle combined with a variation of Burning man… :wink:

2 Likes

My school gives you a choice of learning a language or taking a c4 class (basically a trade or like the intro to the trade to get you interested in it)

6 Likes

I took Latin in 9th and 10th grades for the science and math
curriculum I chose on entering high school. Never regretted it.

2 Likes

One of our church families’ 9 year old son was attacked by four dogs yesterday. 3 great danes and a lab mix. He was in the woods with a younger brother and the dogs appeared. He intentionally positioned himself between the dogs and his brother so his brother could escape. When they attacked, he charged them like one of those warrior poets yelling at his brother to escape. Before anyone got back to him he had his face ripped off, a broken neck, one arm muscle pretty well removed, 50+ puncture wounds, etc…

Prayers would be appreciated from anyone who knows how.
He’s in ICU and seems to be doing ok. They are worried about infection. They are doing surgeries a couple a day to clean each wound and do the reconstruction, etc…

Apparently they want to watch the dogs for 15 days to look for rabbies before they’ll let us shoot them. Sheriff has them now I think.

6 Likes

Praying right now, In Jesus Name for this 9 year old boy.
Bob

7 Likes

Sorry, his name is Bryce Minor

3 Likes

Me too plus 20 characters

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing Billy . The Keith family is praying.

4 Likes

Prayers on Christmas eve for Bryce… Candle is up in the temple…

3 Likes

Moaning a prayer for Bryce. May his brave sacrifice inspire many.

1 Like

Bryce just out of another surgery. They didn’t do the skin graft on his head yet, but all 55 sewn smaller lacerations seem to be free of infection. They put his arm back together.

9 Likes

No greater love than to give up your life for a brother.

6 Likes

He has got our prayers .

2 Likes