Life goes on - Winter 2018

I don’t think free shipping will help his quality issues with melting on delivery. Lol

3 Likes

Cash on delivery accepted ? Could use some here :grin:

4 Likes

Him get extra value energy. Him extract energy and get snow as byproduct. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Solar-Fuel, onward !

2 Likes

This weekend a event took place l like most and the pigs like the least.

Those are actualy “mini” pigs. I cant imagine having that as a pet in apartment!

Total yeld: 2 minipigs, 2 ducks and a turkey, all together exactly 100kg of best quality pasture fed meat.

And since l have a wood gas powered car, why buy propane if wood is free? I piped the gas from the car under the rindering pot, lit, and it was fizling in no time.

19 Likes

Very good posting. Us city type folks need to see where all that meat we see in the market comes from. I remember being at my uncles farm when he butchered pigs. I think after they rendered the lard they ended up with what they called “cracklings”. They were like a puffed up potato chip and we ate them about the same way. ( now and then you would get a hard one, that you could not bite into. I’m afraid I am a big fan of guns, but killing and butchering any animal, is something I hate doing. TomC ( I’ll eat the meat though )

4 Likes

Now you made me hungry :yum:
I can remember butchering day from when I was a kid.

1 Like

A while back you posted that you were short on charcoal stock piles. Looks like you got that handled too.

1 Like

Nice pics. And pigs.
100kg. Good yield for two mini pigs :smile:

My earliest memory of pig slaughter:

We were 6-7 years old, my friend and I. Two dead sows were laying on the ground. Still warm. The adults went inside for a while, maybe for a coffee.
We got the time to study the pigs, in detail. Eyes, ears, mouth and a few other body parts were thoroughly examined.
The garden hose was within reach. We started to play with it and gave the sows a shower and discovered they were a bit dirty…hm… right under their tails. We laughed and couldn’t resist putting the hose were it fitted right in. We were surpriced how well things sealed. Not a drop of water leaked out. And the hose was on full blast?
Time went by but nothing happened.
We got bored. Minutes later we were already long gone, playing around with other stuff. None of us came to think of the water still being on.

For some reason I can’t remember what happened when it was time to put the knife to the sow or even being questioned about our prank. Selective memory maybe…

8 Likes

Yes those cracklings are called “ocvirki” here and are a real treat. They are used to “spice” simple dishes like sauerkraut, potatoes and beans. We allso have a delicacy called “izpuhnjenci”.
https://goo.gl/images/nYStzB
Its puffed pig skin.
Those on the pic are what we wuld call home made, but a handfull of people perfected the art to a point they make big 4x6" size and 1/2" thick snow white chips. How to make them is a close guarded family secret and people (including me) try making them every year with no sucsess.

Haha JO l guess the sows suddenly gained a few pounds :smile:

7 Likes

No Recall ? what happen, your supossed too cut the inards out not rince them out.?:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Reminds me of Mexican chicharrón…

Only they like to have some meat left on, fried crisp. Also the basis for some good dishes, or good by itself with hot sauce… :relaxed:

Maybe they were just getting a head start on cleaning the intestines for sausage casings… :wink:

2 Likes

I have a story to share. A year ago I slipped on some glare ice in the parking lot heading into work one bitter morning. I landed hard on knee and elbow, they were sore. The elbow got better, the knee didn’t. I was still getting around well enough.

Long story short, eventually I got diagnosed with “floaters” in the knee, and referred to a surgeon. Surgery took place a week ago, couldn’t be more pleased with the experience, one of the top rated surgeons in the area did the procedure in a smaller town regional hospital OR, he was doing a dozen patients that morning, knees and shoulders, best quality service.

My total cost? 14 bucks for the prescribed anti inflammatories. I am extremely thankful for, and proud of our universal medical care system. Nobody gets left behind.

6 Likes

Garry, here is how it works here. Hit and miss… Wait months and months in pain and etc. with cancer issue. Get in (local health care) and they say sorry can’t help you, go home. More intense pain and other issues. Call but never get a reply. Finally someone tells me about Cleveland Clinic, sign me up! With in an hour of having my record sent to Cleveland Clinic the phone starts ringing from the local doctors wanting me to come in now! Cleveland Clinic is the most amazing place with the most amazing doctors and surgeons !!!

Now that I’m returning to local care my problems are starting all over again. Really?

Solar-Fuel, onward !

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the track you describe through the health care system. I’m not saying that part is much different here. I think that’s the hardest part of medicine, just diagnosing what is actually wrong. There are too many stories of all the time it takes to figure things out and get competent treatment.

My case isn’t even in the same league, but it took a good while to diagnose, and then a good while till the consult. But in this case I would say that’s ok, it was lower priority than folks who need a knee replacement, etc.

I’m just very satisfied our taxes pay for it all, and any person needing medical care gets exactly the same.

1 Like

Sounds good tarry tait from your area, when our democrats try for your type insurence , they propaganda tell us you canada folks have too wait long times for some treatments ? OR ?

1 Like

The universal care system came in when I was a baby. It has served me and mine very well on occasion.

The waiting issue can be real, but it’s based on need and priority. The reality is, if it’s a straight up profit based system, it has to cost more, and some people will wait - forever. No coverage, no service. A single payor system with no profit motive obviously is more efficient. And our population health outcomes reflect that. Far lower infant mortality, etc. Our system could be improved, but at least they got the no one left behind part right.

I’m very satisfied and proud of our system, and the vast majority of Canadians think the same. People here couldn’t afford your system, it would be bankrupting for far too many, and leave the less fortunate out in the cold, which people here would find offensive. We consider health care a right of citizenship.

2 Likes

Apparently Rand Paul agrees with the quality of your outcomes being better as he is going to Canada to get his surgery as well.

1 Like

Good point.

I would like to hear how his experience has been.

Apparently he rates our system very highly.

Hopefully they have a luxury wing for the medical tourists, so he wouldn’t have to rub elbows with Joe plumber, or some poor people’s kid… :smiley:

1 Like

Rand Paul went to a private hospital in Canada and paid for it himself the way I heard it.

4 Likes