Life goes on - Winter 2018

Around here you have to pull the cars out when they go under. There is a heavy fine for each day a vehicle is in the lake. That really slows down the willingness to go on thin ice. To be honest I was surprised it had any impact I mean why would someone worry more about a fine then their lives? My fear was always if I go under ice I will likely die.

2 Likes

I took my grand daughter to an empty parking lot and she learned how to correct a slide. While talking to my wife the this week , the gd thanked me for that afternoon.
I use to scuba dive through the ice. I can tell you if you do go through the ice you better hope you go straight down. From under the ice it looks like one big mirror and any hole is a black spot. You can’t see the hole unless you are directly under it. TomC

4 Likes

I heard this fellow interviewed on the radio a year ago. A miracle he’s alive. In the interview he said he pushed off mud on the bottom, and couldn’t even tell if he was going up for a good part of the ascent.

The rich cottage owners passing by wouldn’t even help him.

Man survives plunge to bottom of Lake of the Woods in -30 C weather | CBC News

Winter is here there is enough frozen buildup in the barn that the small calves can jump through the feeder and enjoy the all you can eat buffet where I store a few days hay for them in the front of the barn.

10 Likes

Winter goes on. Snow passed two times the hight of the house today.

12 Likes

Sunny, and 64* f today, rain tomorrow. -1*f less than a week ago.

5 Likes

A lot of the utilities in the north are struggling. They are giving out hotel vouchers to people who might get cut off. Denver is giving vouchers to homeless people.

2 Likes

On the morning of January 30th when it was minus 42, a new consumption record was set, exceeding generating capacity by 5%. The new hydro dam is clearly needed, though renewables and battery storage could go a long ways too.

"Manitoba Hydro has set a new all-time record for electrical consumption.

The utility says that record was set Wednesday morning with a peak load of 4,924 megawatts. The previous record was 4,801 megawatts, set January 13, 2017."

It got as warm as minus 16, now it’s about to get cold again, mid to low minus 30s in coming days…

3 Likes

It is 54F here today crazy warm for NH in February. Second day in a row I guess we are in for a few more days of nicer weather.
My wood shed is looking empty so I am trying to dig out some logs I should have split a long time ago and put them in the shed now. Atleast the warm weather is making that easier. Actually perfect weather to be outside if you don’t mind walking on wet ice.

2 Likes

Glad to hear there is still some heat left on the northern hemisphere. We haven’t had a thaw since November. Pretty much constantly between -10 and -20C. No extreme cold snaps though.

4 Likes

Well it was a small pickup load today but I had to find the wood pile first so that slowed me down a lot. The Logs I did saw where frozen into the ground but my Allis Chalmers D15 made short order of that ice you have to love hydraulics.

8 Likes

Not -40, as some of you are experiencing, but -22C today. Still cold enough to me.

7 Likes

It’s kind of crazy that ya’ll are so cold and we’re so perfectly warm. It was about 77 F today. Warm enough this week that we started planting the early garden. We’ll see if it can slip through without another hard freeze. The bees are even making honey from something. Unusual to have such differences so close together, but I’ll take it…

4 Likes

We have only had a few weeks maybe this winter of about -5 f around here in michigan, cold enough too not want too be out long in that kind of temps in between work and home travel, makes you wounder how those two adventurers are doing walking acrost the antartic this year.Its been a warmer than usual winter here fore the most part, about 10 or so warmer.Enjoy the cristal clean cold air, and cruncking snow that us northerners get used too every winter usually any way. Every since little kids playing in the average 4’ snow drifts and blowing snow, Normal for us.

4 Likes

…I bet you do. Being locked up indoors is no fun.
However I did have some fun the other day towing son-in-law on wood. His car runs on unreliable fossil fuel, which I happened to mention to him briefly :smile: :smile: :smile:

Kevin, I wouldn’t want to trade with them. Polar expedition to the mailbox and back is good enough for me :smile:

6 Likes

The last couple of days the wife open the doors and windows during the day . Last night at bed time it was 76 F in the house and it is 75 right now . It has been about 3 days now with no heat . ( more wood to DOW )

6 Likes

Minus 30C here this morning, the good times continue…

4 Likes

Actually, there is one small negative to the nice weather. Our deer processing system is kind of messed up. Usually we are able to process deer when it is convenient, but when the temps are in the upper 70’s, you have to deal with it right away. But I’ll still take it…

4 Likes

Still living the dream here, another couple of cold days to come, the forecast says.

I think your deer would chill here today Billy. :grinning: Hopefully it will set the invasive species back some.

2 Likes

All I can say Garry is you are more of a man than I :roll_eyes:

4 Likes