Life goes on - Winter 2018

It’s kind of like undergoing surgery, you just go along for the ride :smiley:.

Sure helps a person focus on home heating and insulation.

And really, cold is easier to dress for than heat. Wheel bearing grease, and rubber tires don’t behave well. Glad I have a well insulated workshop. A good day to stay at home. I think schools are open, btw, though school busses wont be running in the countryside.

4 Likes

That is one good point. When we have weak winters down here we have more problems with garden insects and pine beetles etc. Still…what Wayne said…
We just got a tub of ice and let it sit in the sink over night. Garden is sprouting today.

3 Likes

It may be mid winter but here is a picture of bugs,worms, grass and seeds found around the house and barn .

IMG_0719

11 Likes

We have a saying “Neža unties the chickhens ass”, Neža’s name day being on 21th of January. It seems true as we had a couple of eggs since then too, althugh my hat is off to your ladies Waine!

2 Likes

9” of snow total now and today a freezing rain at my house. Lots of BOOMS as the 100+ ft tall fir trees are shedding limbs or tops.
All time records for February snow at Seatac airport

Then for a bit more spice the power went off at 5:10 AM.
I have my 5kv genset going on Dino fuel and not sure I want to fire up the truck gasifier, (32 deg and freezing rain and 9” snow)

I am too old for this #$@&*!

6 Likes

Happy egg hunting The indeans had it right traveling with the weather. or the snow bird people that head south too florida every year. The weather differnces all have of uneqe buityfull of Gods Nature both directions.Though this time of year in your southern area, sounds nice. And a lot more servivable in a shtf.senario.

1 Like

I hate ice storms we lose power all too often now in the weather you describe. Hopefully your repair crews are faster then mine tend to be.

2 Likes

Same here on the electric line repairs, its freezing rain here now and expected too keep up the sleat mix antill noon tomaro another 24 hours, my generator is ready .

Just spent 3 hours plowing my neybers and mi drive way, only 2 " LEFT TOO SNOW.There is my pontiac grand am i drove too argos last year, the trans started sliping, 250, $ for kit plus a new torqe converter, undecided if i fix. Or through a yard tranny in it.

4 Likes

Some of the yards around here offer a warranty that makes it worthwhile otherwise I figure I am wasting my time buying someone elses peoblem.
Wayne you might want to get your coat out…

That is looking at my farm before the last storm we ended up with another 10 inches when all was said and done.

I caught the hay thief in action. Those little guys sure can make a dent in my hay pile between feedings. I still haven’t figured out how you keep them with the cows and not have them walk through the hay feeder but as much of a mess as they make atleast they grow fast in this setup. The heard is still small enough that I can’t see the value of putting the little guys in a different barn.

7 Likes

Had. A little indoor fun building this sterling engine from cardboard, a pringles can and a beer can.

12 Likes

Andy, nice job! I always wanted to scale one of those up with a 55 gallon drum sized. When I was in a machining class, one of our projects was machining and building a sterling engine. I was amazed how well it ran. Never understood why there wasn’t an open source sterling engine project out in the corners of the web.

2 Likes

Not a single thaw for months.
Then suddenly - several days of dripping in the gutters. Like music to my ears, even if it’s a little early to hope for spring.

7 Likes

Very nice andy,
What are you using for the piston? and is there anything to act as a regenerator?

2 Likes

Power piston is actually a diaphram made fom a piece of nitrile glove. Displacer is just a hollow box made of light cardstock. So i guess doesn’t really qualify as a regenerator.
Next project is to make one that will run on a cup of coffee.

5 Likes

JO; The second picture is just a beautiful picture — the clarity etc. It does look like some one plowed the road. Does government do that. For some reason, I didn’t think your government got involved in that. We have been having the worst weather we could have put up on us. We have had snow on the ground for some time, but not enough to be problematic. It started out with rain/ sleet and got down a nice ice barrier. Then a few inches of snow. Late last week it turned to storm after storm and loaded us up with snow. Then one day in the '40’s with rain/sleet/and snow-- a light fluffy snow. Then came the winds. My neighbor with a tractor/snow blower, knew I had doctors appointments so he plowed my driveway in the after noon, by night it was blown over again, so he plowed me out again for my early morning trip to the Doc. By morning it was blown in again, so he came back. That night I had to bust my way through the drifts, but made it. Next morning he came again, and this morning it is blown shut again. The morning of my Doc appointment, the wife and I (and dog) sat by the window for 1/2 hour and didn’t see a car go by ( usually busy with people going to work). Finally a snow plow went by and we knew if we got to the roads and over to the main road, everything would be ok. 45-50 mph on the main road all the way, because of patches of ice.
A 4 ft drift between the shop and the house so here I am blabbing on the internet. TomC

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom .

I was about to take a picture of the green grass and flowers budding and post but then I realized that would be cruel.

6 Likes

:sob::sob::sob::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:!!! Glad your second thought caught up with your first thought. Tom C

5 Likes

If you did that I would have to take my coat and hat off before looking at it.

6 Likes

Tom, thank you. Phone cameras improved a lot lately.

Well, gov maintains main roads.
With small roads within the village, we run a local association. Every household (about 300) in our village pays about $70 a year each. Local contractors are hired to do the work. The guy who plows is told to do it once a day if more than three inches of snow fall.
We’ve had nothing extreme this winter. Medium temps, no colder than -10F. Medium amount of snow, no more than 2 ft. The only unusual thing is it’s been consistent. No thaw (until now) and no extreme cold snaps.
Sorry about the 4 ft drift. It will at least keep your wife from forcing you onto the lawnmower for a while :smile:

4 Likes

I told you I was sitting here babbling on, so I decided to send you some pictures. The first is how our latest weather started with an ice storm. The 2nd is how it looks today. The 3rd is a modification I am thinking about for my wg truck.

My permit to carry a gun is not legal out of Wisconsin, but that trip through Chicago— you better be ready for what ever comes your way. Tom C

6 Likes